Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Does it really matter?

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 63 Replies
1 mom liked this
Getting upset, debating, trying to get someone to see, politically, as you do, does it make a difference in the long run?

Every 4-8 years our government changes. Policies become old and new again. Recycled. Right now Obama has stripped our military, funding, and closed bases and programs. DH and I (military) just shrug our heads when people complain because we know, history will not not repeat, a Republican will be in office next. They will open bases back up, give us more money and programs. And probably send us to war, which will make our country rich again.

The pattern was set long ago. Why debate and get upset?
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:01 AM

sidesplittinglaughterhow very imaginative you are:)

jjames1990
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Imaginative or not, I asked a question, why does it matter? Can you not answer the question?

Quoting denise3680:

sidesplittinglaughterhow very imaginative you are:)

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You're right we're owned and operated by the military industrial complex. Two of the best employers in my area manufacture products used within that complex. If they didn't get those military contracts, they couldn't have expanded they way they have. My dad was an engineer at one of them for a long time and, believe me, the scariest time for him in terms of job security was during Bush I's administration. The Cold War was ending and there wasn't going to be a need for parts that went  into fighter jets and missles.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Debate is cool (like Fezzes and bowties) and I like to hear the opinions of others.  Now getting upset?  Meh.  No point.

jjames1990
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I am positive a republican will be in office next round and we will be building missles and goinf to war. We will live high again.

I was born and raised and still live by Locheed Martin, our town depends on the jobs.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You're right we're owned and operated by the military industrial complex. Two of the best employers in my area manufacture products used within that complex. If they didn't get those military contracts, they couldn't have expanded they way they have. My dad was an engineer at one of them for a long time and, believe me, the scariest time for him in terms of job security was during Bush I's administration. The Cold War was ending and there wasn't going to be a need for parts that went  into fighter jets and missles.

Schauseil
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
... War makes us rich? Explain this please? I'm not a history buff, I havnt studied how out economy has been linked to war per the past 1-200 years. However, I'm pretty sure in the last 10 years or so the war did not help out economy at all. And I'm not being snarky, I really am asking for an explanation? I will state that anyone wanting to go to war, where people die, just to make money is disgusting.
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

The problem with this model (which I agree in the current one) is that is unsustainable. We have United Technologies and Sikorsky that used to provide great manufacturing jobs where middle class wages were livable. They still pay "well" but the cost of living has inflated so high that it takes away from what used to be a very comfortable income. 

It's going to take more than a war this time to get the economy back on track.

And that means honestly discussing the realities of our current government. It is nothing like the government ten, twenty years ago. We are an oligarchy. 

Quoting jjames1990: I am positive a republican will be in office next round and we will be building missles and goinf to war. We will live high again. I was born and raised and still live by Locheed Martin, our town depends on the jobs.
Quoting Kate_Momof3:

jjames1990
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:23 AM
It is a controversial statement. War time means we open more jobs vacated by soldiers. We open more jobs for building needed war supplies, from weapons to MREs food. However, in the long run, some economist state that it hurts our country, causing us to have to borrow money, raise the debt ceiling. However, in my opinion, when we go to the table for negotiations for raising the debt ceiling, discussing budget cuts, we tend to distribute the money more evenly. So I see it all as a win.

Quoting Schauseil: ... War makes us rich? Explain this please? I'm not a history buff, I havnt studied how out economy has been linked to war per the past 1-200 years. However, I'm pretty sure in the last 10 years or so the war did not help out economy at all. And I'm not being snarky, I really am asking for an explanation? I will state that anyone wanting to go to war, where people die, just to make money is disgusting.
bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:31 AM

But doesn't it also harm the economy in the long run because all that we build we either destroy (bombs, MREs) or leave in another country?  We created such wealth for WW2, the jeeps etc, then left them with all their metal value across the ocean.  So the nations we were fighting could use the wealth we had created?

We also have this habit of going back to nation-build.  Again we make some awesome stuff here, but then it's left for others to use in the country we were fighting.

Quoting jjames1990: It is a controversial statement. War time means we open more jobs vacated by soldiers. We open more jobs for building needed war supplies, from weapons to MREs food. However, in the long run, some economist state that it hurts our country, causing us to have to borrow money, raise the debt ceiling. However, in my opinion, when we go to the table for negotiations for raising the debt ceiling, discussing budget cuts, we tend to distribute the money more evenly. So I see it all as a win.
Quoting Schauseil: ... War makes us rich? Explain this please? I'm not a history buff, I havnt studied how out economy has been linked to war per the past 1-200 years. However, I'm pretty sure in the last 10 years or so the war did not help out economy at all. And I'm not being snarky, I really am asking for an explanation? I will state that anyone wanting to go to war, where people die, just to make money is disgusting.

jjames1990
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM
That is a good point of view. I think the thought is, once we build it, use it, we don't need it any longer. It is no longer valuable. Is this not the American way, in almost off we do?

I would imagine it would be costly to bring those items back once we are done with them.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

But doesn't it also harm the economy in the long run because all that we build we either destroy (bombs, MREs) or leave in another country?  We created such wealth for WW2, the jeeps etc, then left them with all their metal value across the ocean.  So the nations we were fighting could use the wealth we had created?

We also have this habit of going back to nation-build.  Again we make some awesome stuff here, but then it's left for others to use in the country we were fighting.

Quoting jjames1990: It is a controversial statement. War time means we open more jobs vacated by soldiers. We open more jobs for building needed war supplies, from weapons to MREs food. However, in the long run, some economist state that it hurts our country, causing us to have to borrow money, raise the debt ceiling. However, in my opinion, when we go to the table for negotiations for raising the debt ceiling, discussing budget cuts, we tend to distribute the money more evenly. So I see it all as a win.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN