Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Constitution only protects Americans who ‘cling to God and guns’

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 19 Replies

Louie Gohmert: Constitution only protects Americans who ‘cling to God and guns’

By David Edwards
Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:21 EDT

Louie Gohmert speaks to WND

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) recently asserted that the U.S. Constitution only applied to people “who cling to their God and their guns.”

Speaking at a rally in Iowa for Republican Senate candidate Sam Clovis on Friday, Gohmert recalled that he had initially been blamed after Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) had shouted “You lie!” during President Barack Obama’s State of the Union Address in 2009.

“Somebody yells ‘You lie!’ and the camera goes on me!” he told the crowd, adding that he “knew” the president wasn’t telling the truth about an immigration bill.

“And so Joe was right,” Gohmert continued. “That’s not how a country goes forward effectively, with a leader that will play those kinds of games. You know, truth is too important.”

The Texas Republican then pointed to an 1798 John Adams quote: “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

“It only is fit for people who cling to their God and their guns, you know?” Gohmert offered as an interpretation to the delight of the crowd. “So, it is deeply troubling if you get in these tough situations and you can’t trust your leadership.”

The congressman added that he would never personally violate the rules of decorum in the House of Representatives, but he liked to take his criticism of the president “right up to the line.”

“We know under the rules of the House of Representatives that our president would not lie,” he quipped. “But whoever is putting those words in his teleprompter sure is.”

Former Council for Secular Humanism Regional Director Austin Cline has pointed out that “John Adams didn’t write the Constitution, much less the First Amendment… Just because he might have thought that the Constitution was incompatible with a nation of secular atheists doesn’t mean that anyone else necessarily has to think the same.”

by on May. 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 7, 2014 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Funny. Both have been known to kill innocent people.
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM

The world would be a very boring place if we all did think the same, or were all the same. I would hate to live in a world like that.

It is starting become clear that, that is what people want though. You would think people would find interest in learning different things about different people which I'm thankful to be able to say thats pretty much the case where I am at but it appears from all these post and replies to the post that the rest of the nation does not think that way.

autodidact
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:15 AM

he's an idiot

Clairwil
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:42 AM

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The congressman added that he would never personally violate the rules of decorum in the House of Representatives, but he liked to take his criticism of the president “right up to the line.”

“We know under the rules of the House of Representatives that our president would not lie,” he quipped. “But whoever is putting those words in his teleprompter sure is.”

He's a good comedian, but a bad person.

Donna6503
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 5:16 AM
SMH
idunno1234
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 6:59 AM

I have to wonder why you don't post this on threads posted by some of those you feel more ideologically aligned with, those who post inflammatory nonsense, not just posts which highlight the scary, ignorant thinking of some of our legislators regardless of what side of the aisle they are on.

How well do you thnk things would go for you, for all non Christians, if the Christian right wing was voted into power nationwide?

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

The world would be a very boring place if we all did think the same, or were all the same. I would hate to live in a world like that.

It is starting become clear that, that is what people want though. You would think people would find interest in learning different things about different people which I'm thankful to be able to say thats pretty much the case where I am at but it appears from all these post and replies to the post that the rest of the nation does not think that way.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Quoting idunno1234:

I have to wonder why you don't post this on threads posted by some of those you feel more ideologically aligned with, those who post inflammatory nonsense, not just posts which highlight the scary, ignorant thinking of some of our legislators regardless of what side of the aisle they are on.

How well do you thnk things would go for you, for all non Christians, if the Christian right wing was voted into power nationwide?

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

I post things as I see fit. I say what I have to say depending on the subject matter of the post. I'm not afraid to say to anything to anyone if that is what you are insinuating and those who know will tell you that. I have learned to be more reserved and instead of replying to things I know I only have a brutal opinion on and I only have a reply that when I say exactly what I have to say that I know is going to give the liberal side of this group exactly what they want I just skip over it and don't even reply. When I do reply I say what is on my mind depending on what the post is.

Maybe this reply isn't what I think about to reply in a different post

To answer your question if I decided that the Christians became a power over me that I absolutely can't handle living with then I have 2 other citizenship's of 2 other countries, one of which my family has a $750,000.00 home I can go to. The USA does not recognize those citizenship's but the other countries do, so I am not stuck here. I can pack my shit and go anytime I want if it were something that became so unbearable that I couldn't live with.

That being said I am not worried about a Christian government as this point. Christians have never been a problem for me. Christians on CM have been more of a problem for me that one has ever been in real life and I hardly see any CM post important enough to make me relocate.

Eventually I will be will be leaving when the time is right. When my family's home land is not safe for Sunnis antmore which since the USA took our protection way it is not safe for Sunni's. Until then I am happy here in Dearborn where I am surrounded by my people and my culture enough to satisfy me.

So I don't have any reason to fear the "Christian right". I am a what you guys call a "right winger" anyways so as of yet it is not problem for me and i have 2 girls to get through school and then if we just can't bare it we can leave.

To be honest I would much rather live under a "Christian right"  majority that to live under all this liberal nonsense anyways. I have never felt my rights were in any jepority by the Christians, it's the liberals that make me feel like my rights here are in jepority.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

Clairwil
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

To be honest I would much rather live under a "Christian right"  majority that to live under all this liberal nonsense anyways. I have never felt my rights were in any jepority by the Christians, it's the liberals that make me feel like my rights here are in jepority.

Interesting.

Can you expand upon that?

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
What a total ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)