Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

This Is Insanity!

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM
  • 66 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/nigerian-official-hundreds-killed-attack-142157703.html

Nigerian official: Hundreds killed in attack

Brig. Gen. Chris Olukolade, Nigeria's top military spokesman, speaks to people at a demonstration calling on the government to rescue the kidnapped school girls from the Chibok government secondary school, outside the defense headquarters, in Abuja, Nigeria, Tuesday May 6, 2014. The plight — and the failure of the Nigerian military to find them — has drawn international attention to an escalating Islamic extremist insurrection that has killed more than 1,500 so far this year. Boko Haram, the name means "Western education is sinful," has claimed responsibility for the mass kidnapping and threatened to sell the girls. The claim was made in a video seen Monday. The British and U.S. governments have expressed concern over the fate of the missing students, and protests have erupted in major Nigerian cities and in New York. (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba)

Islamic militants killed hundreds of people in an attack on a border town in Nigeria's remote northeast, a state government official said Thursday.

Shops and homes were set ablaze and razed in the attack Monday night on Gamboru Ngala, on Nigeria's border with Cameroon, Borno state information commissioner Mohammed Bulama told The Associated Press by telephone.

He said the fatality "figures are high — hundreds — but we are still awaiting details from the military authorities."

As many as 300 people were killed in the attack, according to local newspapers. The militants sprayed gunfire into the crowds of people at a busy market that is open at night when temperatures cool in the semi-desert region, reported ThisDay newspaper.

Nigerian federal Senator Ahmed Zannah said the attack lasted about 12 hours, according to the newspaper. The insurgents set homes on fire and gunned down residents who tried to escape from the flames, reported the paper.

Zannah blamed fighters of Nigeria's homegrown Boko Haram terrorist network that has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping of 276 teenage girls and is threatening to sell them into slavery.

Boko Haram's five-year-old Islamic uprising has claimed the lives of thousands of Muslims and Christians. More than 1,500 people have died in their attacks so far this year. The insurgents say Western influences are corrupting and they want to impose an Islamic state in Nigeria, a country of 170 million of whom half are Christian.

by on May. 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Bump!

joyfree
by Kat on May. 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Insanity is correct!

gsprofval
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this article is old, but still relevant and disgusting!

joyfree
by Kat on May. 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM
3 moms liked this

No, this just happened! I saw it on the CBS Evening News yesterday, sadly...

Quoting gsprofval:

I think this article is old, but still relevant and disgusting!

Clairwil
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:31 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

This Is Insantity!

This is Religion!

Or, at least, the dark side of it.  (Yes, there is also a light side, I don't deny it.)

vic270
by Vic on May. 8, 2014 at 8:45 AM
6 moms liked this

That is why that America,no matter how many faults that she has is still the best country in the world. May God always bless this great nation.

Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM
4 moms liked this

This is like "The Dark Ages" all over again.

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
This could very well be this country if we keep letting unstable people have access to weapons and crazy militants going rogue.

Hopefully not.
idunno1234
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:21 AM
4 moms liked this

I can't take shit like this.  Its why I don't watch/read the news regularly anymore.  Man's inhumanity to others is an ongoing perpetual thing and I have a hard time fathoming it.  It enrages me, saddens me and makes me feel hopeless because I personally can't stop it.   I feel it when others suffer, actually feel it and it is one of my biggest downfalls because it will consume me if I let it.

Collectively, the human race has the ability to stop this shit.  We can deweaponize, round up all incorrigible violent people and put them on some rock somewhere in the middle of the ocean to do to each other what they do to innocents.  We can turn the hate into love by starting with ourselves, every single one of us.  So many things happen that shows how far we have to go yet there are glimpses of hope.  We all have the power of love and joy within us.

Think about how wonderful this world would be if we turned hate into love and acceptance, if we stopped tolerating violence in all its forms, if we stopped figuring out ways to separate ourselves from each other.

I know, I've said it all before so many times but I can't stop hoping that humanity will see the light.....whether its through the message of love that most religions have as their basis or just common sense.....we CAN stop it.  We simply choose not to.

On a side note and totally counterproductive but its times like this when I really hate the male species.  Women have their own brand of evil but they don't tend to go around and do horrific shit like this.

My heart breaks for those who suffer needlessly at the hands of others. 

AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand how you can actually feel their pain and the discomfort it brings. Because, well me too. I choose to call it an over developed sense of empathy. And it truly can be crippling

Quoting idunno1234:

I can't take shit like this.  Its why I don't watch/read the news regularly anymore.  Man's inhumanity to others is an ongoing perpetual thing and I have a hard time fathoming it.  It enrages me, saddens me and makes me feel hopeless because I personally can't stop it.   I feel it when others suffer, actually feel it and it is one of my biggest downfalls because it will consume me if I let it.

Collectively, the human race has the ability to stop this shit.  We can deweaponize, round up all incorrigible violent people and put them on some rock somewhere in the middle of the ocean to do to each other what they do to innocents.  We can turn the hate into love by starting with ourselves, every single one of us.  So many things happen that shows how far we have to go yet there are glimpses of hope.  We all have the power of love and joy within us.

Think about how wonderful this world would be if we turned hate into love and acceptance, if we stopped tolerating violence in all its forms, if we stopped figuring out ways to separate ourselves from each other.

I know, I've said it all before so many times but I can't stop hoping that humanity will see the light.....whether its through the message of love that most religions have as their basis or just common sense.....we CAN stop it.  We simply choose not to.

On a side note and totally counterproductive but its times like this when I really hate the male species.  Women have their own brand of evil but they don't tend to go around and do horrific shit like this.

My heart breaks for those who suffer needlessly at the hands of others. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)