Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Why do you think we're hearing about so many more family murder-suicides lately?

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Family of 4 Dead in House Blaze in Possible Family Murder-Suicide

by Lisa Fogarty

It's difficult to believe, but yet another possible family murder-suicide may have taken place this week. Unlike the one in Texas in which 2 children survived being shot by their father -- an entire family of 4, including 2 teens, is dead this morning in Florida. A serious fire ripped through a 5-bedroom mansion owned by former tennis pro James Blake, which he had rented to Darrin Campbell, his wife, Kimberly, and their children, 19-year-old Colin and 16-year-old Megan. When cops and firefighters arrived on the scene after receiving a phone call from a neighbor, they found something truly unusual: fireworks had been placed throughout the house and accelerants had been added to make the fire spread rapidly.

Authorities have confirmed that the fire was set intentionally and that they are not searching for a suspect in this case. Though only the results of autopsies will determine whether the family members were killed by the fire or another cause, cops have shared that two of the victims suffered from "upper body trauma" and that the fireworks were found spread around the house. The two teens were in their bedrooms at the time of the explosion, and the adults we presume to be their parents were in their room.

More from The Stir: 2 Children Survive Alleged Murder-Suicide That Took Their Parents' Lives

How horrific. These family murder-suicides, which seem to be on the rise lately, never make sense -- after all, the majority of parents would take a bullet to keep their children safe. And assuming the Campbell family committed arson and murder-suicide, what we know about their universe makes this possibility really difficult to comprehend.

For starters, Darrin was a successful businessman who was once the senior vice president at two companies, PODS and an insurance firm. He served as treasurer at his kids' elite private school. Neighbors describe Kimberly as "sophisticated and classy." And the teens sound like they had the world at their fingertips. Colin was a star player on his school's baseball team and Megan was a pretty freshman with friends who describe her as an "angel."

What went wrong in their world? We'll never know the exact reason why this happened, and of course even the happiest of families have issues that remain locked behind closed doors, but suicide is never, ever the answer out.

Why do you think we're hearing about so many more family murder-suicides lately?

Please call 1-800-273-8255 to reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in case you are worried about yourself or someone else.

by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on May. 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I have NO idea..had a murder/suicide down the street years ago...(boyfriend defends girlfriends honor only to be shot..then shooter turns the gun on himself...then a murder (teen boyfriend on teen girlfriend) to where he burnt her head trying to disguise her??? by her own garbage can and driveway... A suicide (allegedly) up the hill from me (guy who worked at the jail??)....  One kid at school killed himself..was one of the special honor students that was put in special classes because of his high IQ.   Went to a funeral where a father took his own life, apparently he had tried several times to our surprise.. It's sad..truly sad that people feel the need to commit these kinds of acts on other people and/or on themselves. I wish these people had received "help" for themselves.

VeronicaTex
by on May. 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe it is all about power and being in control:  totally narcissistic.

It is selfish on the part of the murderer.

It is cowardly as well.

No responsibility, no accountability.

What got this person to this point?  I believe desperation:  something that is unknown because the person who murders has hidden it so well, or the red flags that were there were ignored.

Veronica

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Because if it bleeds, it leads.

We've heard about these for years.

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this
So sad....I believe we are living in very troubling times. Families losing their jobs, homes and see no hope at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

There could be any number of reasons for the increase of suicides...But the lack of good jobs, and/or the wide difference between the haves and the have nots could play a part. Life is so 'busy' these days with families spread all around the world. In the past we were close and more available to help each other when the need occured. So many feel like failures when they can't "have it all"....  Depression is on the rise...Everyone seems so angry with no peace in their hearts.   And the biggest reason in my personal opinion is Church and God are being left out of our daily lives...

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM
I agree....however there are some of those that do go to Church but I guess are so overwhelmed. There's been times I've just been so overwhelmed with life. So many that are angry, sad, depressed.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."Matthew 11:28

Quoting GrannyM.:

There could be any number of reasons for the increase of suicides...But the lack of good jobs, and/or the wide difference between the haves and the have nots could play a part. Life is so 'busy' these days with families spread all around the world. In the past we were close and more available to help each other when the need occured. So many feel like failures when they can't "have it all"....  Depression is on the rise...Everyone seems so angry with no peace in their hearts.   And the biggest reason in my personal opinion is Church and God are being left out of our daily lives...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Simple we have a  national media that is instant not delayed for hours as it was in the past.  Communications have vastly improved.  many of these stories would not have made front page but now are on video new instantly.   Sensational makes for more viewers and higher ratings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)