Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hindu Prayer Interrupted In Senate By Christians

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

After Hindu priest Rajan Zed was called to the Senate podium to offer the invocation, he was shouted down by fundamentalist Christians. One shouted out "Lord Jesus, forgive us for allowing the prayer of the wicked, which is an abomination in your sight."

This is a first for the Senate according to SmashZone, who posted the video on YouTube.

Rajan Zed, a Hindu priest from Reno, Nevada, had just stepped up to the podium for the landmark occasion when three protesters, said to belong to the Christian Right anti-abortion group Operation Save America, interrupted him by loudly asking for God's forgiveness for allowing the ''false prayer'' of a Hindu in the Senate chamber.

Operation Save America is the Operation Rescue successor group who also made news for condemning the Sandy Hook interfaith memorial service as an abomination.

If these guys looked in the mirror, they'd see the real abomination -- themselves.

by on May. 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM
5 moms liked this

Freedom of religion is only freedom for Christians. Also freedom of speech, it seems.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 12:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting -Celestial-:

Freedom of religion is only freedom for Christians. Also freedom of speech, it seems.

I'm not so sure if I can agree that, that is a fair statement based on what 3 individuals said, shouted, did. There is a whole country full of Christians I can hardly consider that 3 speaks or acts on behalf of them all.

For those 3, it was very tasteless and disrespectful of them to shout out like they did. I don't know much about a Hindu prayer other than it is Polytheist. Due to it being Polytheists I might have chose to silently step out side and wait for it to be over but I would have never tried to shut them up or interfere with their freedom of religion and their right to freedom to practice their religion.

I also think this was posted and maybe even literally searched for as a "throw it in their face" post for the Christians here. If I cared enough I would have look into the date of it but I haven't heard anything about it from any media outlets like I heard of the Christian prayer in Greece NY ALL day long the other day.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Why is this not surprising

Edited to add: Well, well, the surprise is on me as this took place 7 years ago. As well, Celestial's comment "Freedom of religion is only freedom for christians, also freedom of speech, it seems" is an exact carbon copy of  what was stated on crooksandliars.com. by k- - - - - who has posted the same outdated video.

Tsk.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Quoting Bonita131:

Why is this not surprising

Edited to add: Well, well, the surprise is on me as this took place 7 years ago. As well, Celestial's comment "Freedom of religion is only freedom for christians, also freedom of speech, it seems" is an exact carbon copy of  what was stated on crooksandliars.com. by k- - - - - who has posted the same outdated video.

Tsk.

7 years ago? Well thanks for not being a lazy as I am. If you'll look right above your reply I made mention that I suspected this was a searched for article to be used as a "throw in their face" for the Christians and made mention that  had i not been so lazy lol I would take the time to look into the date. I had a feeling it didn't happen just yesterday.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:21 AM

In 2007.

Could you come up with something just a big more recent, Celestial?

These Christians were out of line - Freedom of religion is not.

Good Lord.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

In 2007.

Could you come up with something just a big more recent, Celestial?

These Christians were out of line - Freedom of religion is not.

Good Lord.

Like I said and I the date confirms it for me. This was search for post deliberately with the intentions of searching for something to use as a "throw It in their face" to the Christian members. I'm sure it took more than a couple to five minutes to search it out to. Considering the date I know it didn't show up on page 1,2,or probably not ever 3 of the search results.

I can't help keep that in mind and determine my feelings on the post and the posters intent of what looks to be desperately searching for something.

But lets say it did by some chance happen as recent as today. You can't hold an 87% population (give or take a few numbers) of Christians responsible for the words and actions of 3 lol.

Most normal sane minded people, Christian or not do not just bust out screeming like a lunatic in public.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:17 AM
2 moms liked this

The hecklers were:

• Ante Nedlko Pavkovic
  • Katherine Lynn Pavkovic
  • Kristen Sugar Pavkovic

Operation Save America (formerlyOperation Rescue National) is afundamentalist [1] [2] Christian conservative organization based inDallasTexas, that opposes humaninduced abortion and its legality, non-Christian religions, and homosexuality.

Operation Save America conducts mass protests at abortion clinics to promote pro-life cause. Operation Save America has mobilized its members for other causes common to the Christian right, for example, opposition toGay-Straight Alliances in public schools. At South Rowan High School, nearCharlotte, North Carolina, when a Gay-Straight Alliance was forming at that school, Operation Save America arranged to have some 700 people to show up at the school board meeting and get the board to ban the club from the school.[6]

They have also been involved in burning the Islamic holy text, the Qur'an, despite the opposition of most of the Muslim community to the practice of abortion. Their actions have been described as "an affront to Islam, all people of faith, and to our society as a whole... not Christian [and] not American" by the Mississippi Religious Leadership Conference.[7]

In August 2006, after Wal-Mart publicly announced its corporate partnership with the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC), Operation Save America began a nationwide campaign to protest the alliance. Headlining the campaign was the slogan, "Corporate America is Being BLACKMAILED by the Radical Homosexual Agenda".[8] Wal-Mart did not renew their membership with the NGLCC the following year.

On July 12, 2007, three members of the organization (Ante and Kathy Pavkovic, and their daughter Christan Sugar) were arrested after they tried to shout down a Hindu clergyman as he offered the traditional morning prayer on the US Senate floor. [9] The protest was denounced by Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.[10]

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:19 AM

udge Roy Moore and Foundation for Moral Law Attorneys Successfully Defend Christians for Praying in the Name of Jesus During Hindu Prayer in the U.S. Senate

September 11, 2007

Foundation for Moral Law attorneys were in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia today defending the Pavkovic family (above, with Judge Moore). Judge Roy Moore and the Foundation for Moral Law defended Ante and Katherine Pavkovic and their daughter, Christan, on the criminal charges brought against them for praying in the name of Jesus in the U.S. Senate as the July 12, 2007 Senate session opened with a prayer to a Hindu god.

On that day, Rajan Zed, who was invited by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, stepped to the microphone and prayed to a Hindu god. When not one Senator objected, despite the fact of our Nation's long history of praying to Almighty God, the Pavkovics prayed aloud for God to have mercy on our nation and proclaimed Jesus Christ as the only way for our sins to be forgiven. All three were arrested by Capitol Police and charged with a criminal offense of “disrupting Congress” which carries a possible sentence of incarceration of six months.

The Foundation was prepared today to go forward with the defense of the Pavkovics and to defend this Nation's Christian heritage, particularly the fine tradition of Christian--not Hindu--prayers in Congress. Attorney Ben DuPré obtained an agreement for complete dismissal of all charges and the Pavkovics were vindicated for their heroic and valiant actions for defending this Nation's long history of Christian prayers.

Judge Roy Moore said, “It's a shame that not one U.S. Senator stood up to defend a tradition that goes back to the very first Continental Congress of acknowledging the one true God of the Holy Scriptures. It's time our Country turned back to the God of our forefathers. Ante, Katherine, and Christan have demonstrated the bravery of the great Christian patriots that founded this Country as one nation under God.”

We believe that God honors those who honor Him and thank Him for this great victory.

The Foundation for Moral Law represented the Pavkovics at no charge. Any donations to assist in paying the costs of the Pavkovic family's case may be sent to the Foundation at the following address:

Foundation for Moral Law

One Dexter Avenue

Montgomery, AL 36104

Contributions may also be made by phone, (334) 262-1245, or by visiting the Foundation's website atwww.morallaw.org.

The Foundation for Moral Law, a national non-profit legal organization, is located in Montgomery, Alabama, and is dedicated to restoring the knowledge of God in law and government through two methods: litigation relating to moral issues and religious liberty cases; and education consisting of forums for the public and pastors' seminars.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:20 AM

Three fundamentalist Christians who disrupted a prayer by a Hindu religious leader in the U.S. Senate July 12 have been barred from the U.S. Capitol for one year.

At a hearing Sept. 11 before Washington, D.C., Superior Court Judge Robert Rigsby, the protestors were told charges against them will be dropped if they stay away from the Capitol and its grounds for 12 months.

The trio – Ante Pavkovic, his wife Katherine Pavkovic and their daughter Christan Renee Sugar – disrupted a prayer by Rajan Zed, a Hindu chaplain from Nevada who had been invited to open the day’s proceedings.

As Zed was preparing to deliver his invocation, three protestors started  shouting from the visitors’ gallery.

“Lord Jesus, forgive us, Father, for allowing a prayer of the wicked, which is an abomination in your sight,” the protestors screamed. They were removed by Capitol Police and charged with disrupting Congress, a misdemeanor.

The three had been in the nation’s capital to lobby against a hate-crimes bill that would extend certain protections to gay people. (The Pavkovics and their daughter are all residents of North Carolina.) They called themselves “Christian patriots,” and their actions were hailed by some Religious Right activists.

Zed quickly recovered his composure and finished the invocation. He later told Church & State that he received many positive messages after the prayer and that some people were apologetic about the interruption.

The Rev. Flip Benham, head of the militant anti-abortion group Operation Save America, announced that the trio would be defended in court by Roy Moore, Alabama’s infamous “Ten Commandments judge.”

In fact, a Moore associate, Ben DuPre, represented the three on behalf of Moore’s Foundation for Moral Law. Although Benham told supporters in an e-mail message that Moore “has volunteered to come along side and represent these three Christians in court,” Moore did not appear during the proceedings.

Religious Right groups blasted Senate leaders for inviting Zed.

“No one can legitimately challenge the fact that the God America refers to in the pledge, our national motto and other places is the monotheistic God of the Jewish and Christian faith,” said Family Research Council President Tony Perkins. “There is no historic connection between America and the polytheistic creed of the Hindu faith.”

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is also still harping on the prayer and using the incident to promote its “Christian nation” views. Two months after Zed’s appearance, the Baptist Press ran a story headlined “Hinduism influence on the rise.” It quoted N.S.R.K. Ravi, director of the SBC’s North American Mission Board’s Evangelism Response Center.

“The god Rajan Zed represented is a different god,” Ravi, a former Hindu, told the Baptist Press. “The prayers he offered are not to the God of the Bible. The god Rajan Zed represented is powerless. He cannot forgive sin, therefore he leaves the sinner to the fate of karma and reincarnation and endless human suffering.”

Ravi noted that before his prayer, Zed sprinkled some water from the Ganges River, which Hindus consider sacred.

“The holy water he sprinkled on the Senate floor was from the land of India, which means the god is limited to a specific region of the universe,” Ravi added. “He is not the God of the universe. What is next? Prayers to Satan? Pagans? Dead spirits? Prayers to atheists?”

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Head Of Christian Right Group Calls Hindu Senate Invocation "Gross 
Idolatry"
By Eric Kleefeld

As we reported earlier today, a religious and political milestone of 
sorts took place early today when a Hindu delivered the morning 
invocation in the Senate chamber — only to find the ceremony 
disrupted by three activists from the Christian Right anti-abortion 
group Operation Save America.

Well, Election Central has just gotten off the phone with the 
group's chief, Rev. Flip Benham. And he's hailing the move by the 
three activists -- while slamming the Hindu's appearance as "gross 
idolatry."

In the interview, Benham praised the three activists, Ante and 
Katherine Pavkovic and their daughter Kristen. And he scorned the 
idea of the Hindu invocation.

"What we have here is just a wonderful example of Christian theology 
becoming biography in the sacred chamber of the United States 
Senate, as a Hindu was offering up a prayer to open up the session 
this morning. And the folks that were there [the Pavkovics] ... 
waited for the Senate, or a Senator with a backbone, to remind the 
Hindu that there is one God who made this country great, and his 
name is Jesus."

The Pavkovics disrupted the ceremony after seeing that no Senator 
would emerge to challenge the Hindu clergyman's beliefs.

The idea to protest the Hindu's invocation originated in a very 
organic way, Benham said in the interview. The Pavkovics had come to 
Washington to protest the proposed hate crimes bill with other 
activists. When everyone else was headed home, the family found out 
about the upcoming Hindu presence in the Senate, and realized they 
could not simply stay silent.

"They thought they needed to go and represent the Lord who made this 
nation great," Benham said. The event, he said, is emblematic of the 
modern tendency of "other religions being held on a par with 
Christianity. Of course, we have said that is not true, that indeed 
Christianity is one way."

Election Central asked Benham what he thought of Tim Wildmon, 
president of the far-right American Family Association, who was 
quoted by CNN condemning the Pavkovic family's behavior. Wildmon 
told CNN: "We would not ever encourage shouting in the gallery like 
that, we asked people to contact their Senators to show their 
disapproval."

Benham said he respects Wildmon as a friend and ally, but he thinks 
his friend is simply wrong on this matter. "Our answer is," Benham 
said, "When one stands up in the face of gross idolatry being 
allowed in the Senate, in the chamber of the United States Senate, 
it is incumbent on a Christian to stand up and speak the truth. No 
matter what, we must obey God rather than men."

"When you stand up and are arrested, and the Hindu is allowed to go 
free, this country has gone upside-down," Benham added

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN