Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Christian Brothers Whose HGTV Was Canceled Over Their Views on Homosexuality and Abortion Respond in a Surprising Way

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Eds
  • 52 Replies

Christian Brothers Whose HGTV Was Canceled Over Their Views on Homosexuality and Abortion Respond in a Surprising Way

After news quickly spread that their Home and Garden Television show “Flip It Forward” was being cancelled before it even premiered, Jason and David Benham quickly responded, saying that they believe the network was bullied into axing the show.

The Christian twins have built a successful business flipping houses and were already halfway through filming the do-it-yourself series when the network canned the show amid controversy over their views on abortion, gay marriage and other contentious issues.

“We love all people. I love homosexuals. I love Islam, Muslims, and my brother and I would never discriminate. Never have we — never would we,” David Benham told CNN Thursday.

He added, “Never have I ever spoken against homosexuals, as individuals, and gone against them. I speak about an agenda. And that’s really what the point of this is — is that there is an agenda that is seeking to silence the voices of men and women of faith.”

In a somewhat surprising move, the brothers both defended HGTV, noting that they believe the network’s reaction was simply a business decision.

“We actually felt really bad for HG that they were pushed into this position. They simply said that we need to part ways,” Jason said, noting that the network didn’t cite a specific reason. “Our heart breaks for HGTV … that the same thing that happens all the time when one view is able to be put out there, but then if you represent what we believe would be the pro-family view, you’re not allowed to have that anymore.”

The brothers did note that HGTV didn’t explicitly cite their Christian views in the network’s decision to part ways, though many suspect that a blog post composed by Right Wing Watch detailing the Benhams’ views and activism directly led to their departure.

Echoing comments made by their father, Flip Benham, Jason and David also said that HGTV knew a year and a half ago about some of their controversial comments. But after getting to know the pair and seeing their ability to build a successful business, the network decided to proceed with the show.

“They got to know us a little better and then they made a judgment call, recognizing that David and I have no hate in our heart for anyone,” Jason told CNN.

David and Jason Benham (Images via @DavidDBenham and @JasonBBenham)

David and Jason Benham (Images via @DavidDBenham and @JasonBBenham)

In an earlier statement Jason and David said that they were saddened by the decision, adding, “If our faith costs us a television show then so be it.” Here’s the complete statement:

The first and last thought on our minds as we begin and end each day is; have we shined Christ’s light today? Our faith is the fundamental calling in our lives, and the centerpiece of who we are. As Christians we are called to love our fellow man. Anyone who suggests that we hate homosexuals or people of other faiths is either misinformed or lying.

Over the last decade, we’ve sold thousands of homes with the guiding principle of producing value and breathing life into each family that has crossed our path, and we do not, nor will we ever discriminate against people who do not share our views.

We were saddened to hear HGTV’s decision. With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it.

“Flip It Forward” was set to premiere in October.

VIDEO HERE: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/09/christian-brothers-whose-hgtv-was-canceled-over-their-views-on-homosexuality-and-abortion-respond-in-a-surprising-way/

by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Abaco
by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM
8 moms liked this
I'm betting they'll be blessed with something bigger and better in the future. It's said when God closes one door He'll open another : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I speak about an agenda. And that’s really what the point of this is — is that there is an agenda that is seeking to silence the voices of men and women of faith.

In a somewhat surprising move, the brothers both defended HGTV, noting that they believe the network’s reaction was simply a business decision.

“We actually felt really bad for HG that they were pushed into this position. They simply said that we need to part ways,” Jason said, noting that the network didn’t cite a specific reason. “Our heart breaks for HGTV … that the same thing that happens all the time when one view is able to be put out there, but then if you represent what we believe would be the pro-family view, you’re not allowed to have that anymore.”

Is that a particularly surprising response?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I speak about an agenda. And that’s really what the point of this is — is that there is an agenda that is seeking to silence the voices of men and women of faith.

Is that a particularly surprising response?

Not really, Liberal Fascism and the protection of certain classes is all the rage over here.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
If HGTV didn't give a reason, we don't know that was the reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on May. 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this
Where do people get the idea that free speech means speech free from any consequence or opposition?
nixore
by myk elskling on May. 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

It probably was just a business decision.  But you know...  they can always just go to the another tv network that supports their views, right?  Or at least, that's the argument I've heard when a business refuses to do business with someone based on such things.

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Leave it to christians to prove to the world what liars and hypocrites they really are.

What the announcement didn't mention is that at least one of the Benhams is not just a real estate dealer but also a dedicated right-wing activist in the mold of his father, Flip Benham, who has headed the abortion-clinic protest group Operation Save America ever since it split from the militant anti-choice group Operation Rescue.

As leader of OSA, Benham has condemned the interfaith Sandy Hook memorial, protested in front of mosques while shouting “Jesus Hates Muslims” and blamed the Aurora shooting on the Democratic Party, which he said promotes a “culture of death.”

He has also protested LGBT pride events, interrupted church services during a sermon by “sodomite Episcopalian bishop” Gene Robinson and was found “guilty of stalking a Charlotte abortion doctor after passing out hundreds of ‘wanted’ posters with the physician's name and photo on it.” OSA* even blamed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on abortion rights.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Niiiiiiice. I really wish people like this would stom referring to themselves as Christian.

Quoting Bonita131:

Leave it to christians to prove to the world what liars and hypocrites they really are.

What the announcement didn't mention is that at least one of the Benhams is not just a real estate dealer but also a dedicated right-wing activist in the mold of his father, Flip Benham, who has headed the abortion-clinic protest group Operation Save America ever since it split from the militant anti-choice group Operation Rescue.

As leader of OSA, Benham has condemned the interfaith Sandy Hook memorial, protested in front of mosques while shouting “Jesus Hates Muslims” and blamed the Aurora shooting on the Democratic Party, which he said promotes a “culture of death.”

He has also protested LGBT pride events, interrupted church services during a sermon by “sodomite Episcopalian bishop” Gene Robinson and was found “guilty of stalking a Charlotte abortion doctor after passing out hundreds of ‘wanted’ posters with the physician's name and photo on it.” OSA* even blamed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on abortion rights.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

The brothers said this was not true.  But even if it were, should they be held accountable for something their father did?

Quoting Bonita131:

VeronicaTex
by on May. 9, 2014 at 1:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I have been watching HGTV for years.

What I have noticed on programs like Decorating Cents, House Hunters, House Hunters International, ect, there are always episodes dedicated to "partners".

I applaud these brothers not only for sharing their pride in their work of flipping houses, but as well for emphasizing that they do not hate anyone.

I believe the decision to cancel the program was a business decision.

Behind this were sponsors, with big bucks and specific agendas...

Veronica

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN