Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Should adults that have important roles in our community be held at a higher standard?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM
  • 18 Replies

School Board President Calls Parent a 'Chubby Wubby' During Board Meeting

by Sunny Chanel

Chubby wubbyI don't know about you, but I expect a certain amount of maturity and decorum in our educators and those who run our schools. But, sadly, that is not always the case. Here is a perfect example of those who REALLY should know better behave in a way that is not just offensive but unacceptable.

A New York school board president resigned after video surfaced of him saying unkind things about one of the parents of a student. Really unkind things.

Ray Cote called a local mother a "chubby wubby," and added that "she gets fatter and and fatter at every meeting."

Really? He chose to say such things publicly about a parent? Just imagine what he would say behind closed doors! That is just so disrespectful and disappointing that someone in his position would stoop so very low. After he resigned he sent out an apology email to the community saying:

I would like to apologize for my choice of words after the close of the board meeting on April 8, 2014, which are regretful. My words were inappropriate and do not reflect my feelings or attitudes. I will strive to regain the trust and respect of the community.

But for him to regain the respect of the community, he needs to respect the community in ALL their shapes and sizes. His resignation was definitely in order.

People who hold such positions as school board president should have at least SOME sense of good judgment. They should be the ones setting a good example for our children, and sadly Mr. Cote did anything but in this case.

Do you think that adults that have important roles in our community should be held at a higher standard?
by on May. 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Abaco
by on May. 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Yes. Not only schoolboard but also public school teachers should have the same. Keep it professional in the classroom and out in public. It's bad enough there are children raising children at home....it's not needed in the public school setting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Everyone should be held to a higher standard (at least higher than we currently have) doubt that will happen anytime soon though.

joyfree
by Kat on May. 15, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Yes. There is much room for improvement in almost all human beings.

happynewyorker
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

People say the stupidest things.  Mr. Cote probably thought it was cute to call this women on her weight.  People just don't think.  But, I don't feel that adults that have important roles in any community are held at a higher standard.  I feel and many feel that Mr. Cote needs to apologize.  But, like most people that's to be for them to do.  But they will use this in the future if he is an elective person.

Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Just a standard would be nice.

Why wish for "higher"; let's expect decency and respect. period.

I have tried to teach my children, you do not have to respect the other person, but you still need to act respectfully to others. In other words, be responsible for your own behavior.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for exempting me.

#alreadyperfect

Quoting joyfree:

Yes. There is much room for improvement in almost all human beings.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Yes, they should.  If I was that mom, I'd have strode up there and slapped Ray Cote.  He should have been kicked off the board, not given the dignity to resign.  What an asshole.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Professional position and status in the community especially one where it is a public figure should always be professional, set a good example, and display are a respectable life style. In addition something I think many are too stupid to consider they should keep in mind that nothing they do is private. There is always someone with a recorder on their cell phone and even a "friend" you thought you could confide in waiting for an opportunity to stab you in the back and expose you publicly if it will bring some kind of gain or wanted attention to them.

I think we all as human beings, mothers, and those of us who want to be consider a good citizen of the community should at all times try to be the best representation we can. Not out of requirement or force but just to show a personal standard of good ethics and morals.

Those in public professional positions as mentioned at the top should be required. It needs to be said though that if a public figure or professional representative of the community has to be forced to live up to certain standards and only out of obligation sets a good moral and professional example they are not the right person for the profession.

None of us are perfect and there s always going to be things about our personal and professional lives that someone does not approve of or just simply people that do not like you. Because of this we should all always remember that nothing we do is private. Even so much as picking or scratching something in what we think is an empty isle at the market is on camera. Not only are most places surveillance but as already mentioned there is always somebody there with a cell phone in hand waiting to record anything and make something public or in some way use something against you, no matter who you are.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

not ok.

I also fail to see in his apology, how it doesn't reflect his feelings or attitudes. Really? He has the gaul to say that in a public meeting?

That said, it doesn't mean that school board presidents, or any other board group has good judgement. Oh my gosh look at some of their idiotic decisions.

Held to a higher standard? I would hope every adult would act properly- for them to be held to a "higher standard" though somehow implies it's ok for other adults to act badly. Not at all.

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

true- imagine the implicaitons now with google glass- oh my gosh. No privacy, anywhere. There could be a camera literally everywhere you go.

In professional positions though, so many people can get to those by volunteering. (I think often they volunteer because they have nothing else to do, or it will look good on a resume) Look at school boards, boy scout boards, church boards- I think so many people lack common sense, and then fly of half cocked with power. I've seen it so often. Even following rules of order, they have no clue-

(We are dealing with a boy scout one now. I'm trying really hard to keep my mouth shut for the sake of my boys, but once they are finished I will let it fly). And- I'm pretty meek and appropriate! 

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Professional position and status in the community especially one where it is a public figure should always be professional, set a good example, and display are a respectable life style. In addition something I think many are too stupid to consider they should keep in mind that nothing they do is private. There is always someone with a recorder on their cell phone and even a "friend" you thought you could confide in waiting for an opportunity to stab you in the back and expose you publicly if it will bring some kind of gain or wanted attention to them.

I think we all as human beings, mothers, and those of us who want to be consider a good citizen of the community should at all times try to be the best representation we can. Not out of requirement or force but just to show a personal standard of good ethics and morals.

Those in public professional positions as mentioned at the top should be required. It needs to be said though that if a public figure or professional representative of the community has to be forced to live up to certain standards and only out of obligation sets a good moral and professional example they are not the right person for the profession.

None of us are perfect and there s always going to be things about our personal and professional lives that someone does not approve of or just simply people that do not like you. Because of this we should all always remember that nothing we do is private. Even so much as picking or scratching something in what we think is an empty isle at the market is on camera. Not only are most places surveillance but as already mentioned there is always somebody there with a cell phone in hand waiting to record anything and make something public or in some way use something against you, no matter who you are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN