Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

SC pastor accused of turning Bible college into forced labor camp for foreign students

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM
  • 38 Replies

SC pastor accused of turning Bible college into forced labor camp for foreign students

By David Edwards
Sunday, May 25, 2014 14:21 EDT

Cathedral Bible College President Reginald Wayne Miller

The president of a South Carolina Bible college was charged last week with essentially treating foreign students as slaves by forcing them to perform work for little or no pay.

According to The Sun News, federal prosecutors filed a criminal complaint against Cathedral Bible College President Reginald Wayne Miller, accusing him of forced labor.

An affidavit included with the complaint said that students “described a pervasive climate of fear in which their legal status as non-immigrant students was in constant jeopardy, at the sole discretion of Dr. Miller, who threatened expulsion and therefore termination of their legal presence in the United States for noncompliance with his demands.”

Students told investigators that classes at the school “were not real,” and that the real purpose of the school was to force them to work over the maximum of 20 hours per week that federal law allows for student visas. The students alleged the Miller often forced them to live in substandard conditions without hot water, heat or air-conditioning.

The complaints said that students worked over 50 hours a week, and often received no pay, even though some had been promised $100 a week. Several students said that they were paid $50 a week for 40 hours of work or more.

The Friendly Atheist blog quipped that slavery was rampant throughout the Bible, allowing Miller to “still be considered a true man of the Bible.”

Miller was arrested in 2006 on charges of lewdness and prostitution after he exposed himself to an undercover officer in a bathhouse at Myrtle Beach State Park. Records indicated that Miller participated in a pre-trial intervention program, allowing his record to be expunged.

During a Friday appearance at Florence Federal Court House, a federal judge set bail at $250,000. He was also ordered to stay away from Catherdral Bible College, and its students. The former pastor could spend 20 years in jail if convicted.

by on May. 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raintree
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm.. Great. Sounds similar to my school experience.
1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I wish this said how long and how often he got away with that. As much as it cost to come here and go to school on student visa and being that usually only those with fairly well off families can afford it I bet that $50.00, $100.00, $0.00 didn't fly over for very long.

I would also be interested in knowing the charges. HLS does not take to kindly to Visa fraud especially if it's Student or Green Card through marriage.

29again
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I was paid about half of min. wage for my work at my school...  and it was quite legal.  Why is it not legal now? 

And, the foreign students at my school were paid the same as everyone else. 

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Quoting 29again:

I was paid about half of min. wage for my work at my school...  and it was quite legal.  Why is it not legal now? 

I don't know how long ago that was but today there are work restrictions on Student Visa's. This article say's they are allowed to work a max of 20 hours a week. Unless that is something new withing the last 5 years years Student Visa was not supposed to work at all.

They would have to file a Hard Ship case and present unforeseen conditions that have come up and sometimes it takes a up to a year to get permission to work under hardship.

Before they are approved for student Visa they must show proof that they or their families can pay all tuition and school cost without qualifying for any programs. In addition to that the tuition is 25% more. Before a Student Visa does not come with a Work Visa as you can't have 2 Visa's at the same time they also have to show their families have enough or they have in enough in their bank accounts to support them self with out having to work. Which is why i say it's mostly those from fairly well off families that come Student Visa.

That is also why they are required to have a sponsor already here in the USA and can show 3 consecutive years of Tax forms showing they make no less than $43,000.00 a year and they have to sign taking full financial responsibiliy due to the fact that one has to be in the country 7 years and moving up from a visa to a Green Card (permant residency) before they can apply for any government programs.

It's not easy to just switch from Visa to Green Card. The easiest way is if you marry an American citizen and then you have to wait out that process which takes about a good 5 months before you have your first Interview in all goes well you will be stamped Permanent Residency giving you permission to work and you will now be off of Student Visa status.

In addition to all that if this this guy from the college was inventing false classes and falsify documents which would say a Student Visa holder is keeping to the 9 full credits a semester as required not to lose their Visa then he was also committing Visa fraud in addition tax violations not paying taxes on these student as any employee must do. For each unclaimed employee it is a $100,000.00 fine for each person working for him off the books.

If this story is true and accurate there are a long list of charges here and that's why i am curious as to why the article does not tell those long list of charges.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

29again
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

I don't know how long ago that was but today there are work restrictions on Student Visa's. This article say's they are allowed to work a max of 20 hours a week. Unless that is something new withing the last 5 years years Student Visa was not supposed to work at all.

They would have to file a Hard Ship case and present unforeseen conditions that have come up and sometimes it takes a up to a year to get permission to work under hardship.

Before they are approved for student Visa they must show proof that they or their families can pay all tuition and school cost without qualifying for any programs. In addition to that the tuition is 25% more. Before a Student Visa does not come with a Work Visa as you can't have 2 Visa's at the same time they also have to show their families have enough or they have in enough in their bank accounts to support them self with out having to work. Which is why i say it's mostly those from fairly well off families that come Student Visa.

That is also why they are required to have a sponsor already here in the USA and can show 3 consecutive years of Tax forms showing they make no less than $43,000.00 a year and they have to sign taking full financial responsibiliy due to the fact that one has to be in the country 7 years and moving up from a visa to a Green Card (permant residency) before they can apply for any government programs.

It's not easy to just switch from Visa to Green Card. The easiest way is if you marry an American citizen and then you have to wait out that process which takes about a good 5 months before you have your first Interview in all goes well you will be stamped Permanent Residency giving you permission to work and you will now be off of Student Visa status.

In addition to all that if this this guy from the college was inventing false classes and falsify documents which would say a Student Visa holder is keeping to the 9 full credits a semester as required not to lose their Visa then he was also committing Visa fraud in addition tax violations not paying taxes on these student as any employee must do. For each unclaimed employee it is a $100,000.00 fine for each person working for him off the books.

If this story is true and accurate there are a long list of charges here and that's why i am curious as to why the article does not tell those long list of charges.

The link in the OP gives you a longer, more detailed article. 

I went to this school, in the 80's.  Not sure how all your facts about visas fit, but I know what happened where I was, when I was there....

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

I went to this school, in the 80's.  Not sure how all your facts about visas fit, but I know what happened where I was, when I was there....

Well i can't speak for the school except for going by this article if accurate he should be facing a very long list of charges.

I get my facts on how the Student Visa process works by having my self and other family members sponsored other family members for their Student Visa requiring us to know the process in which we had to go through and being the ones who had to support them and pay their full tuition with an extra 25% added that is standard for all, Student Visa's.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

29again
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Well i can't speak for the school except for going by this article if accurate he should be facing a very long list of charges.

I get my facts on how the Student Visa process works by having my self and other family members sponsored other family members for their Student Visa requiring us to know the process in which we had to go through and being the ones who had to support them and pay their full tuition with an extra 25% added that is standard for all, Student Visa's.

Apparently you didn't read my link.  So, here are a couple of quotes that are quite pertinent to OUR discussion:

Berea's primary service region is Southern Appalachia, but students come from 46 states in the United States and 58 other countries, with approximately one in three students an ethnic minority or international.[3]

All students are required to attend the college on a full-time basis, which is 3.00 course credits of enrollment, or 12 semester hours. 

As a work college, Berea has a student work program in which all students work 10 or more hours per week on campus.

Students are currently paid an hourly wage from $4.10 to $6.55 by the college, based on the WLS ("Work, Learning, and Service") level attached to individual labor positions.[16] The college regularly increases student pay on a yearly basis, but it has never been equivalent to the federal minimum wage in the school's history. Because of the scheduling demands of both an academic requirement and a labor requirement, students are not allowed to work at off-campus jobs.

There are foreign students there, lots of them.  They work at least 10 hours a week on campus, along with every other student.  All students are paid, but are paid less than minimum wage. 

This leads me to think that the requirements are different for students who are attending a work college. 

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Apparently you didn't read my link.  So, here are a couple of quotes that are quite pertinent to OUR discussion:

Berea's primary service region is Southern Appalachia, but students come from 46 states in the United States and 58 other countries, with approximately one in three students an ethnic minority or international.[3]

All students are required to attend the college on a full-time basis, which is 3.00 course credits of enrollment, or 12 semester hours. 

As a work college, Berea has a student work program in which all students work 10 or more hours per week on campus.

Students are currently paid an hourly wage from $4.10 to $6.55 by the college, based on the WLS ("Work, Learning, and Service") level attached to individual labor positions.[16] The college regularly increases student pay on a yearly basis, but it has never been equivalent to the federal minimum wage in the school's history. Because of the scheduling demands of both an academic requirement and a labor requirement, students are not allowed to work at off-campus jobs.

There are foreign students there, lots of them.  They work at least 10 hours a week on campus, along with every other student.  All students are paid, but are paid less than minimum wage. 

This leads me to think that the requirements are different for students who are attending a work college. 

I'm sorry I thought you meant the link to the longer version of the OP which I did read that. Give me five minutes to come back and I will see what you have here.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

This seems to be something through the individual school not enough to live on just maybe some cigarette money. None of ours ever participated in any school program like that. We (the family) took care of them, usually let them help in one of the family business's, and one cousin of mine ended up bringing his wife in which she got pregnant twice and he had to file a Hard Ship case to get permission to work because they have to have a work permit which unless you do prove a Hardship case it's not easy for Student Visa to get and even at that his Hardship case took several months.

I was talking about real jobs that they can make a real living off of not a school program. I am not familiar with those school programs who look like they don't offer enough that it would even be worth it. I don't know anyone, anywhere that would work for that. That's far below minimum wage here and most people I know wont even work for minimum wage.

Maybe they do it for some kind of extra credit included too, I don't know but that's just crazy to even work 1 hour for that. Our relatives never live at the school either. They rent their own apartments or house. Some of their class mates live at the school but they always pay for that, they don't have to work for it.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Sorry to quote you a third time lol. Yeah I just reread it again and noticed "work college". I am not even familiar with what a work college even is, never heard of it. Our relatives and friends who have come Student Visa go to regular University, they rent their own homes and if they do work it's under the table for someone they do know or if the family gives them enough to sustain their life style they don't work at all.

They are required to keep up 9 credits a semester. My cousin the same one who filed for the hardship case was working as a sales man at a dealership after he got the work permit and ended up dropping a class. He said he was going to fail and would rather drop it and take it again than fail. That put him just below the 9 required credits and the school reported it to HLS and they were going to take his student visa and send him back. He appealed it and won due to otherwise having a perfect record and a really good attorney but they don't play around they are pretty strict to sticking to the procedure. I don't know about these work college though.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN