Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Giuliani: White House In 'Utter Panic' Over Bergdahl Fallout

Posted by   + Show Post

The White House is in "utter panic" over the fallout from the swap of five detainees at the U.S. military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for POW Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani said.

Administration aides have pushed back against accounts of Bergdahl's fellow service members who suggested he left his post in Afghanistan voluntarily. Giuliani said it was "disgraceful" for the White House to essentially accuse Bergdahl's fellow soldiers with lying.

"I think they are in a state of utter panic," Giuliani, a Republican, told Fox News' "America's Newsroom" on Thursday. "They are saying all these men are liars. These are men who did serve honorably. Who did put their lives at risk. Some of them are decorated. And, there's a lot of them who are saying the same thing."

Story continues below video.

The argument served to get the larger discussion about the issue "off the point," Giuliani said. While Bergdahl "should have been recovered no matter what," the question was "at what price?" the former mayor said.

"The price that we paid for Bergdahl might have been too high a price to pay, even if you were trying to save a Medal of Honor winner. We gave up five of the worst people in Guantanamo," he said.

The White House made the situation for Bergdahl worse, Giuliani said, by presenting him in the beginning as a returning war hero.

"To take a guy who left under questionable circumstances, where there are allegations of desertion, and to put his family in the White House, and to make it look like this great hero is coming back, it made it much more difficult. They're the ones who made the situation for Bergdahl much worse," he said.

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Those guys were not getting released, ever.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting momof31995:

Seems to me the Obama supporters have become silent...Where are all their talking points on this issue?

What talking points? You mean the facts? 

Oh. We got the last prisoner out. We set some guys loose who would have been set loose anyway. The kid was a mental mess. At least he didn't kill civilians- as other soldiers have done. There was a breakdown of command in his unit. Things weren't right. 

Hallelujah, he's home. Hope he'll get the help he needs. 

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Does not matter who was sentenced to death and who was not for whatever reason, maybe plea bargains, reduction of charges, whatever the case the penalty is still punishable by death.

I honestly hope he does not get sentenced to death either. If he does and he did have a fair trial which in my opinion being how he was used for political motivation I can't see where it would be fair, nothing about any of this right or fair but I do not believe he is exempt of some consequence's.

My sympathy lies with him as he is a Muslim and because of that he is my brother and us Muslims take the whole brother and sister in Islam thing quite literal. It is not just a figure of speech for us.

I feel very sorry for him as I am sure he may have been misguided about somethings of Islam or maybe due to language barriers does not quite understand every thing. I wish to be able to have the chance to teach him the correct teachings if any of the 2 are the case.

I really hope he is able to find a good Muslim community here in America who can teach him and guide the right way. I am very saddened for him concerning that.

However actions come with consequence's. I don't agree with that war and I don't support it. They said a decade ago the agenda was to find Osama bin Ladin, fine they found him over 2 years ago, get the hell out like yesterday and stop trying to demoocorize and colonize everything. That concept might work America but it does not work all. The people don't want it and they don't want it forced on them through war.

That being said he did sign up voluntarily and he did by choice and free will take an oath knowing what that meant and if he has broken laws and his oath and has to pay consequence's that is fair and understandable.

What would not be fair is if he is held accountable and penalized for anything and the Obama administration is not as they too starting with Obama himself should also face consequence's.

Quoting shannonnigans: You realize that we had over 20,000 convictions for desertion in WWII, and only one was executed? Since then, none convicted of desertion have been executed, and prior to that, there had been none since the Civil War. He's not doing anything to save his life, as his life is not in danger.
Quoting 1stmuslimah:

They have good reason to panic.

I have all Arab, south Asian and North African channles and that is where I look to for my news and find it much more honest and creditable. The same stories are told completely different the American new sources. They (Arab channel) no matter the country of the channel always tell it the exact same way as each other too.

They are saying that there has been talk of exchanging this prisoner going back as long ago as September 2010. The Taliban most always would rather have monetary payment then anything else but USA (Obama) is planning to completely release all the prisoners before his exit of the presidency.

Before getting this American back they had already been planning on releasing the 5. Their intention on starting with the 5 is to get the back lash which they didn't expect nearly this much out of the way before releasing the rest. When this American was supposedly captured they decided to just go a head and make it a swap and present it to the American public as leaving no man behind since they were going to release them any ways they figured they would use the American as a reason.

The American has also stated his disappointment that the swap happened so fast within seconds and he didn't have a chance to shake the hand of captors and say good bye. Now nobody who is held prisoner against their will for 5 years is going to want to take time out their rescue to shake their hand and say bye lol.

They are also joking on Arabic and south Asian channels (which is out of Pakistan) about what a lousy soccer player and bad shooter he was in the beginning but how much his soccer playing and aiming in target practice with AK47 has improved.

They are also making jokes in a round about way about how he is under care of psychiatrist and how he is probably being coached by the doctors on what to say and what not to say.

I am quite sure with all this back lash that even though they (Obama administration) used him to serve their own purpose will put him through the system and hold him accountable for something now that they used him, got what they want and he is no further use they will do it to try and smooth everything over.

The penalty for desertion during war is death. I almost don't think they will take it that far and come up with some bull shit like he was fraternizing with his captors in order to save his life and that is probably what these doctors in Germany are coaching him on now.

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Lets toss out the part about how good or bad a soldier he was.  Let's also toss out the how useful or useless these terrorists are to our enemies.

This an incredibly bad precedent to set. 

Now, the Taliban will be kidnapping other soldiers to do a swap for their side.  Oh goody.

Don't believe me??  OK

Jenninfer Griffen, who has been a reporter in Pakistan and Afghanistan since the early 90's, talked with some of her contacts there.  Word "on the street" there is that Americans will now be targeted for ransom and prisoner swaps.

I hope this doesn't happen, but this just shows how naive Pres Obama really is.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting momof31995:

Seems to me the Obama supporters have become silent...Where are all their talking points on this issue?

Oh. We got the last prisoner out. We set some guys loose who would have been set loose anyway. The kid was a mental mess. At least he didn't kill civilians- as other soldiers have done. There was a breakdown of command in his unit. Things weren't right. 

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Quoting erika9009:

Lets toss out the part about how good or bad a soldier he was.  Let's also toss out the how useful or useless these terrorists are to our enemies.

Now, the Taliban will be kidnapping other soldiers to do a swap for their side.  Oh goody.

Don't believe me??  OK

Jenninfer Griffen, who has been a reporter in Pakistan and Afghanistan since the early 90's, talked with some of her contacts there.  Word "on the street" there is that Americans will now be targeted for ransom and prisoner swaps.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting momof31995:

To believe he is naive, you would have to believe he didn't know.....

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I'M SO STUPID!!!!!!    (yes, you can quote than when you feel inspired)

The whole prisoner swap gig is a distraction from the VA problems and scandal

AND WE FELL FOR IT!!

embarrassed

Quoting erika9009:

If this "soldier" was an actual hero with various medals, then maybe I could see this. 

In reality, we appear to traded some terroists for a loser.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Abaco
What a bimbo....
Yesterday at 7:12 PM
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree....when it all comes out they'll all be made out to be the losers. Unfortunately we'll all have to pay a high price.
I'm praying that God continues to move His hand and expose the whole bunch of liars and the real terrorists.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Except this didn't set precedent.  We've engaged in many prisoner swaps.  This was hardly the first.  We swapped with the Nazis in World War II.  Doesn't get much more evil than that. 

Quoting erika9009:

Don't believe me??  OK

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting momof31995:

Ninjascreenname
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I am ashamed to have voted for him.

This has caused so much outrage in my close knit veterans community

Quoting momof31995:

Raintree
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:27 AM
2 moms liked this
This is not the first time we've traded prisoners (or weapons) for some of our people.

To pretend it is is infantile.

Quoting erika9009:

Don't believe me??  OK

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting momof31995:

Raintree
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Exactly.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Except this didn't set precedent.  We've engaged in many prisoner swaps.  This was hardly the first.  We swapped with the Nazis in World War II.  Doesn't get much more evil than that. 

Quoting erika9009:

Don't believe me??  OK

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting momof31995:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)