Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Baptist leader: Equal rights for gays is like forcing blacks to serve KKK ceremonies

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM
  • 11 Replies

Baptist leader: Equal rights for gays is like forcing blacks to serve KKK ceremonies

By David Edwards
Thursday, June 5, 2014 15:31 EDT

Southern Baptist Convention leader Richard Land

Richard Land, president of Southern Evangelical Seminary, this week likened equal rights for LGBT people to forcing African-Americans to participate in KKK induction ceremonies.

During a radio interview with Family Research Council President Tony Perkins that wasobtained by the blog Good As You on Thursday, Land addressed a recent order by the Colorado’s Civil Rights Commission that required Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips to sell wedding cakes to same-sex couples. A December ruling by the commission had found that Phillips discriminated against a gay couple by refusing to serve them.

“This baker did not refuse to serve these people,” Land insisted. “He offered them his services – he just did not want to provide his services as part of a gay wedding ceremony.”

“This would be like going to a bakery owned by an African-American, and saying, ‘By the way, you have to bake a cake for a KKK induction ceremony, under penalty of law.’”

In a 2013 radio interview, Land had worried that the LGBT rights movement could force homophobes to be “ostracized to the level of being Ku Klux Klansmen.”

“They do not believe in a live and let live philosophy,” the Southern Baptist leader explained at the time. “Let’s be very clear about what their agenda is, their agenda is to have the homosexual lifestyle affirmed by society as healthy and normal and as a perfectly acceptable to young people and to have those who disagree with that ostracized the level of being Ku Klux Klansmen.”

Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips told Fox News on Thursday that he had decided to stop make wedding cakes for at least the rest of the year after he had been ordered to sell to same-sex couples.

Listen to the radio interview from Family Research Council below.

https://soundcloud.com/goodasyou/richard-land-equates-serving-a-gay-marriage-with-serving-a-kkk-ceremony

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Ya, like LBGT folk burn crosses and hang peop. . . oh wait: they don't. What an asshole.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Uh, no.

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM

People sure use slavery and the Nazi's a lot now a days for a comparison.

You can't "fake" being a white guy if you are black.

However, you can fake being straight if you are gay.  Just ask the late Robert Reed how he did it and manage to be one of the most beloved dads on 70's TV.

I'm still on the fence on being bi/gay is a genetic thing or not.  I'm openly bi to many around me.  If I had to hide it, I could.  I just decided that since my husband is ok with it, I can deal with the others that don't approve.  I think about how I was in HS.  I had some attraction to other girls.  I never did anything.  In talks with my sister, she was the same.  She just decided to be a "man only" gal.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

momof31995
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

But it is ok to equate the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement? All this man is saying is you would not force a black man to cater a Klan celebration so why would you force a straight man who does not believe in same sex marriage to cater to a gay wedding?

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Because KKK is not a protected class and in some states sexual orientation is.

And no one is forcing the baker to bake a cake. He can find a non protected reason to refuse service or he can choose a profession that doesn't put his conscience and the law in conflict.

Quoting momof31995:

But it is ok to equate the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement? All this man is saying is you would not force a black man to cater a Klan celebration so why would you force a straight man who does not believe in same sex marriage to cater to a gay wedding?

D-Town
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM

It would depend on what the black caterer said in declining the request. If they say they will not cater an event that would put the safety of their employees at risk (such as being in a place with a group that has made statements of harm against someone of their skin color) then the black business owner would not be breaking any laws. 

However, if the black business owner states that he won't do it because it's a bunch of white guys, that would be illegal and he would be subject to the penalty of the law. 

So equating the 2 isn't necessarily the same thing. The baker declined because he misinterpreted a book written 1700 years ago. His reasonings for declining the business was illegal. 

mcdun
Art Should Comfort the Disturbed and Disturb the Comfortable
Yesterday at 1:11 AM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Another conservative gem on the loose... 

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I agree forcing someone to go against their religious belief really is no different than forcing any one to support or join an organization against their views. People should not be forced to change their religious beliefs according to what is "politically correct"

That's just like forcing me to conform to beliefs due to what is now "politically correct" is no different then if I were forced to support the anti white hate organization of the Nation Of Islam. I would drink poison first.

Elizabeth1131
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM

What a crock of shit!!!!! Ignorant fucktards! SMH.....

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momof31995:

Well anyone who knows anything about Baptist who adhere to the original teachings of the Baptist sect knows it is against their religion. Therefore that being the case why would they want to ask a Baptist priest to conduct their wedding ?

I will tell you why...

so when they are refused they can make a national ordeal of it and get the attention they want. If that were not the case they would not ask someone who they know it is against their religious teachings. They would go to a priest of anyone of the many churches who do accepted and would perform it without a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)