Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Forced Motherhood ?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM
  • 90 Replies

Louisiana Bill Would Require Women to Stay on Life Support if Pregnant

The bill would require doctors to keep women on life support regardless of family's wishes

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal will soon decide on a bill that could require hospitals to keep pregnant women on life support, regardless of her family’s wishes.

The bill, which passed the Louisiana State House of Representatives last week, specifies that if a woman is at least 20 weeks pregnant, she must be kept on life support.

State lawmakers say the law would protect healthy fetuses from meeting an untimely demise as a result of the mother’s condition. Abortion rights groups oppose the legislation, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports.

A state Senate version of the bill allowed family members to request that expectant mothers be taken off of life support, Huffington Post said, but the provision was scrapped in committee. Jindal is expected to sign the bill into law.

A similar law faced scrutiny in Texas earlier this year, when a 14-week pregnant woman was kept on life support for weeks after her husband found her unconscious. A judge later ruled the family’s request to remove her from life support must be granted.

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM
7 moms liked this
Cause we are no longer real ppl anymore just baby makers.
Abaco
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Of course abortion rights groups oppose the legislation....they're pro-aborts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idunno1234
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM
4 moms liked this

Pro abort?  What is that?  Never heard of anyone who is pro abortion. Like...ever.  And I'm pretty old.

Just like pro life is a misnomer because anti pro choice people are only concerned about the life of the fetus and pretty much don't give a shit about what happens to the mom or the baby once its born. 

Always funny how the same who are vehementally anti-choice also tend to be anti-PA and seem to forget, or perhaps don't care, that lack of choice affects the poorest among us, those who have lack of access to prenatal care and all that good stuff.  Then once the baby is born unwanted, that precious life truly is made to understand what suffering and pain is.  Sucks. 

Anyway....off topic.

I think legislating this is awful and certainly at 20 weeks but once the baby is reaching the gestational age of viability, it starts getting a little murkier.

I hate shit like this.   There is no clear easy answer,

Quoting Abaco: Of course abortion rights groups oppose the legislation....they're pro-aborts.

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM
4 moms liked this

What is wrong with you - that is a serious question. Nobody is pro-abortion but many do understand that the only person who should determine if a woman carries to term is the woman who is carrying.

Your type are so sick. You scream anti-choice rhetoric but I guaruntee I will find an anti-poor person, anti-welfare, anti-imigrant post with this username or your other one attached to it.

Seriously seek help they have meds for what is wrong with you.

Quoting Abaco: Of course abortion rights groups oppose the legislation....they're pro-aborts.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM
6 moms liked this

that is funny, they say that the government is to big and telling us what to do, what to eat, how to raise our kids, etc... but then want to pass every law imaginable for them to have complete control over your life even in death:/

29again
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this

How is it forced motherhood?  The woman will not survive to be a mother.  I don't understand why so many are so ready to give up on a perfectly fine pre-born baby.  After all, it isn't like the woman has to be on life support for years and years.  We are only talking about a few weeks.  Yet some are so ready to give up on the baby, too.  How sad.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Then the baby is born and becomes a welfare sucking leech
TappyToes
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting 29again:

How is it forced motherhood?  The woman will not survive to be a mother.  I don't understand why so many are so ready to give up on a perfectly fine pre-born baby.  After all, it isn't like the woman has to be on life support for years and years.  We are only talking about a few weeks.  Yet some are so ready to give up on the baby, too.  How sad.

Yes, it is a very sad scenario.  Sadder still, the many weeks of 'life support', soaring medical bills, perhaps bankrupting a family, baby born without a mother, perhaps with no family, foster care, but hopefully will be a good adoption, if not a life time of God knows what.  

Your assumption that the baby will "be perfectly fine" is not accurate when the mother's condition is so dire.  Her health directly affects the fetus.

shrugging

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Tell that to 55 million babies aborted since Jan 22, 1973. The mother seeks an abortion Dr to end the life of her child. She's pro-abortion. Drs who fill their pockets with blood money are pro-abortion. Pro = you support/defend something. 

Quoting idunno1234:

Pro abort?  What is that?  Never heard of anyone who is pro abortion. Like...ever.  And I'm pretty old.

Just like pro life is a misnomer because anti pro choice people are only concerned about the life of the fetus and pretty much don't give a shit about what happens to the mom or the baby once its born. 

Always funny how the same who are vehementally anti-choice also tend to be anti-PA and seem to forget, or perhaps don't care, that lack of choice affects the poorest among us, those who have lack of access to prenatal care and all that good stuff.  Then once the baby is born unwanted, that precious life truly is made to understand what suffering and pain is.  Sucks. 

Anyway....off topic.

I think legislating this is awful and certainly at 20 weeks but once the baby is reaching the gestational age of viability, it starts getting a little murkier.

I hate shit like this.   There is no clear easy answer,

TappyToes
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Tell that to 55 million babies aborted since Jan 22, 1973. The mother seeks an abortion Dr to end the life of her child. She's pro-CHOICE 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)