Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Only Place Women Don't Receive Equal Pay Is the White House

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM
  • 5 Replies

The Only Place Women Don't Receive Equal Pay Is the White House

by Jenny Erikson

The White HouseIt's always irritating to listen to someone harp about some perceived injustice that just isn't true. My kids at bedtime for example -- they really don't think it's fair that I get to stay up later than them. I tell them when they get jobs and start contributing to the household finances, we'll talk. Until then, all's fair in love, war, and children's bedtimes.

Another totally fake injustice I keep hearing people squabble about is "equal pay." President Obama has been harping about it on Twitter all day Tuesday, or at least whoever manages his social media accounts has been posting graphics claiming that it's not 1963 anymore, and it's time for women to receive equal pay. Just in case you're wondering about the relevance, June 10 is the 51st anniversary of JFK signing the Equal Pay Act of 1963, abolishing wage discrepancies based on gender.

Hey Obama for America folks! It's not 1996 anymore ... no one cares about cloned sheep. Please find a more relevant example. Actually, never mind. Because this whole concept that women don't earn equal pay for equal work is ridiculous.

Yes -- statistically speaking, women as a whole do not earn as much money as men as a whole. You know why? Babies. Yup, those damn maternal instincts kick in when we ladies become bearers of life, and our children become higher priorities than climbing the cut-throat corporate ladder. Even moms who don't get out of the workforce to raise their children tend to work shorter hours and opt for jobs with less pay but greater flexibility.

So really, the wage gap is evidence that women are taking advantage of the myriad of options available to us in this wonderfully modern day and age.

Not only that, but women are more likely to choose educational paths that lead to lower paying jobs (sociology, women's studies, underwater basket weaving) than, say, something in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) categories. Is President Obama trying to say that women shouldn't have the right to choose their own careers? Or is he saying that a kindergarten teacher (more likely to be female) should make the same as a brain surgeon (more likely to be male)? It's just all so confusing.

President Obama is not a stupid man, so I can only assume he's deliberately misleading people on this issue. There is no way he cannot know the hard facts about where the income "discrepancy" in America comes from.

If President Obama really believed the wage gap between men and women was a sign of discrimination, then why would he commit it himself? Female staffers in the Obama Administration only earn 88 cents on the dollar to their male counterparts -- which is double the pay gap in DC, where women earn 95 cents on average to a man's dollar.

It's time for the President to put his money where his mouth is and give every female in the White House a pay increase, regardless of their position, hours worked, education background, security clearance, or ability to play nicely with others. After all -- it's only fair.

Why do you think women are still paid less than men?

Image via Stefan Fussan/Flickr

by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Why do you think women are still paid less than men?

I don't except the premise.

Based on all the studies - when all the factors are included it is equal.

Not at the Obama's WH yet, but....

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM

It's just another part of the dem's 'war on women'.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM

proof? of course not, it's a Jenny Erikson article. 

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:25 AM

It can't be too bad or they would not stay working there, unless they are just stupid. If they are going to choose to stay there and accept something they don't feel is fair I am not interested in hearing them cry about it.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:27 AM

When women do the same job as men, the pay gap narrows quite a bit. And in fact, this is exactly what happens when you look deeper into the White House data. Even when you just control for one factor -- people who have the same job title -- the gap narrows significantly.

We found 36 titles for full employees held by more than one person, including at least one man and woman. Of these 36 job categories, there was no difference in pay between men and women in 22 job categories, affecting 121 employees. In another six categories affecting 29 employees, the highest earner in the category was a woman who out-earned at least one man.

source

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)