Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

More forced pledge of allegiance nonsense - sanity prevails.

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM
  • 124 Replies

Elmira, NY, Student Forced to Stand For Pledge of Allegiance; Superintendent sends email to all district staff outlining students' right to opt out

by TheHumanist.com Staff • 30 May 2014

Pledge of Allegiance

Last Tuesday the American Humanist Association submitted a letter to the Elmira City School District in New York, on behalf of an atheist student who objects to the Phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.

The anonymous student stated that, when she attempted to simply sit during the Pledge, her high school teacher instructed her to stand. She was also told by the teacher in front of her classmates that not standing for the Pledge "is disrespectful to America and to military personnel."

"Forcing students to participate in the Pledge against their will is an infringement on their constitutional rights," said American Humanist Association executive director, Roy Speckhardt. "By singling out students who do not wish to participate, the school is discriminating against children who are good without a god."

"Federal courts have consistently upheld the right of students to sit out the Pledge of Allegiance as a matter of free speech and freedom of conscience," said David Niose, legal director of the American Humanist Association's Appignani Humanist Legal Center. "Since the Pledge exercise defines patriotism in terms of God-belief, it's perfectly understandable that many good, patriotic atheist children and families would want to exercise their right to opt out."

A day after the letter was sent, according to the Elmira Star-Gazette, Elmira Superintendent Hillary Austin sent an email to school staff "outlining key points surrounding a student's right to decline participation in the Pledge of Allegiance." Some of the rights outlined in the email included the fact that students "cannot be compelled to salute the flag, recite the pledge, or even stand in silence" and neither students nor faculty "may not retaliate against the students opting out through threats, intimidation, or any other behaviors that would violate the Code of Conduct."

by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
How could a teacher be that ignorant?
shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM
4 moms liked this

Maybe she follows certain people in News & Politics?

Quoting UpSheRises: How could a teacher be that ignorant?

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

good!

No one should have to say under god, or any of the actual pledge, unless they so choose. 

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Many kids/teens go through a phase where they don't want to stand for hte pledge, say certain sections of the pledge, etc.  When someone then forces them to stand to say the pledge, it reinforces the idea that they don't have as many rights as the people around them claim.  It's so much better to talk with a person about why you say the pledge, about what the pledge means, and ASK them WHY they don't want to say it.  Then let it go.  This teacher isn't much of a teacher IMO.

Raintree
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, although I wish they would also include the creation of the pledge- from it's beginning to the result we live with currently- in the curriculum. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Many kids/teens go through a phase where they don't want to stand for hte pledge, say certain sections of the pledge, etc.  When someone then forces them to stand to say the pledge, it reinforces the idea that they don't have as many rights as the people around them claim.  It's so much better to talk with a person about why you say the pledge, about what the pledge means, and ASK them WHY they don't want to say it.  Then let it go.  This teacher isn't much of a teacher IMO.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Me too!  I've gotten tired of educating people about the evolution of the pledge.

Quoting Raintree:

I agree, although I wish they would also include the creation of the pledge- from it's beginning to the result we live with currently- in the curriculum. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Raintree
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM

They tried to push a mandatory pledge deal through the Nebraska Unicam last year, and it ended up failing- only to be passed by the board of ed. 

The sponsor of the original bill had NO IDEA where the pledge came from. He just liked it, and thought he'd tie up state business with legislation requiring what they were already doing. 

Seriously.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Me too!  I've gotten tired of educating people about the evolution of the pledge.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

When I hear about someone taking the kind of time needed to pass such an unecessary bill, I just think about all of the things he could have done with his time instead.  

Quoting Raintree:

They tried to push a mandatory pledge deal through the Nebraska Unicam last year, and it ended up failing- only to be passed by the board of ed. 

The sponsor of the original bill had NO IDEA where the pledge came from. He just liked it, and thought he'd tie up state business with legislation requiring what they were already doing. 

Seriously.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Raintree
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. Thanks to term limits, I think his time is currently being spent not legislating. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I hear about someone taking the kind of time needed to pass such an unecessary bill, I just think about all of the things he could have done with his time instead.  

Quoting Raintree:

Seriously.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Did she force the child to stand or to say the pledge?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)