Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

United Methodist Church Divests From Security Firm Targeted For Work In Palestinian Territories

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 5 Replies

United Methodist Church Divests From Security Firm Targeted For Work In Palestinian Territories

A United Methodist Church fund is divesting from a multinational security firm that activists have criticized for its work in Israel and the Palestinian territories.

The church's General Board of Pension and Health Benefits is selling its stock in the U.K.-based G4S, which provides equipment and services for Israeli prisons, checkpoints and settlements in the West Bank. The Methodist board, which manages an investment portfolio of $20 billion, has $110,000 in G4S shares, church officials said Thursday.

"This is the first time that a United Methodist general agency has included human rights violations related to Israel's illegal settlements and military occupation in a decision to divest from a company," said David Wildman, executive secretary for human rights and racial justice at the church's General Board of Global Ministries. "It's part of our efforts at examining how we are approaching human rights issues and the longstanding Israeli occupation and settlements."

G4S, which operates in 125 countries, is the world's largest private security company and a frequent target of activists, in particular for its work in the Middle East. Earlier this week, the firm that manages investments for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Trust said it has likewise divested from G4S.

The company did not return a call from The Huffington Post seeking comment.

The Methodist church makes its move as the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) prepares to tackle a similar question at its General Assembly, starting this weekend in Detroit. The church is scheduled to debate divesting $17 million from Hewlett-Packard, Caterpillar and Motorola Solutions. Pro-divestment Presbyterians, who have been pushing for divestment from the companies for several years, argue that they profit from violence in the Palestinian territories.

Methodists have also tried to divest from those three companies. A motion on the issue failed to pass at the church's last General Conference in Tampa, Florida, two years ago. Members expect the church will debate divestment again at its next General Conference, set for 2016 in Portland, Oregon.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:40 PM

The Methodist are known for disassociating them self to any support of Zionism. They also have made public their boycotting of C.A.T., Motorola, Nokia, and some other companies who use profits to support Zionism or as with C.A.T. their equipment is used to bulldoze Palestinian homes to make way for all Jewish settlements in Palestinian territory. There are also other things they have come out and made publicly known that they will boycott and not support because it supports Zionism but I can't remember now what all of them are.

There are also fellow members in some of the anti Zionist organizations I am a member of who went to some Christian church or another and they have started going to Methodist churches instead because they are known to divest from any supporting of Zionism.

There is also another sect of Christianity in USA who also has rejected support of Zionism. They are not as well know for divesting of support as the Methodist are and it has only been within the last 5 years for them. I had something on them saved I will look for it because I can't remember the name of the sect off the top of my head. I have it on the tip of my tongue and can't think of it now.

TappyToes
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been a member of the Methodist Church since birth.  Either 'THEY' influenced me or I influenced them.

I - We love Jewish people, but denounce  Zionism.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:47 AM

The Presbyterian Church has taken a similar stance.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Quoting PamR:

The Presbyterian Church has taken a similar stance.

Yes that is who I wanted to say but could not remember how to say their name. I almost called them Protestant but knew that didn't sound right.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TappyToes:

I have been a member of the Methodist Church since birth.  Either 'THEY' influenced me or I influenced them.

I - We love Jewish people, but denounce  Zionism.

That is what most people don't understand. All Zionist are not Jews and not Jews are Zionist. They think one equates with the other. They don't understand while Judaism is a religion that Zionism is a political ideology that was not even founded until Theodore Herzl came up with the idea in 1886 and held his first Zionists Congressional meeting 1887 which lead to the World Zionist Organization which lead to A.I.P.A.C. and the israel Lobby.

There are actually more non Jewish Zionist then there are Jewish. Jewish people are turning away from Zionism in record numbers. Many Jews are fellow members of mine in anti Zionist organizations. They hate it and they hate what israel does and what it is based on.

The older Jews from Europe who are stuck in their ways call the anti-Zionist Jews "self hating Jew". They (anti Zionist say Zionism has bastardized their name and they don't like it.

People in USA think Muslim and Jews are enemies and nothing is further from truth. We are actually the closet religions there are. No other two religions on this earth are as close to each other in beliefs than Muslims and Jews. Jews actually are permitted to pray in mosque and they do all the time but they are forbidden to step foot in a church.

American people can not understand it is a political ideologogy that most Jews reject not a religion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN