Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How does the US government work? (A post for Billie Jeans)

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am not going to answer this question in this part of the post, I will do that in the replies.  

Let's discuss how the US government works.  What does each branch of the government do.  Can you name the branches of government?  Let's hear it in your own words, don't copy and paste it from a website since you don't really learn much that way.  Go into as much detail as you know.

Do you think the government is working the way it is supposed to?  If not, what are the issues?

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Everyone feels the need to post something to impress Billiejeens.

Not shocked.

Flattered (of course).

Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM

You inspired me :)

So are you going to actually respond to the post since you told me you know so much about how the government works.  I would really love a bit of insight into how you view politics.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Not shocked.

Flattered (of course).

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I will give you 5th grade civics class. - I am really late for lunch.

Congress (House and Senate) enact laws. { Legislative Branch}

They send those laws to the President {Executive Branch} where he can sign into law, veto or ignore, which the law will become effective at a set period of time without his signature.

The third Branch is the Judicial - the head of which is the SCOTUS.

They are supposed to be three equal branches - although each branch seems to want to corrupt the system (not surprisingly) to consolidate power to themselves.

The SCOTUS used Marbury v Madison to set itself up as the final arbitrator, the current occupant of the White House is exercising executive power previously unheard of and Congress makes rules that they themselves are exempt from.

Is it working as it is supposed to - mostly there are always aberrations.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:26 AM

okay then

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

So are you going to actually respond to the post since you told me you know so much about how the government works.  I would really love a bit of insight into how you view politics.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Not shocked.

Flattered (of course).

Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 9:57 AM

BUMP!

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Did you pass?

Quoting Billiejeens:

okay then

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Not shocked.

Flattered (of course).

Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Congress doesn't enact laws.  They write them and vote on them.  The executive branch is the one that enacts the laws by making them official laws.  Or he vetoes them.

Quoting Billiejeens:

They send those laws to the President {Executive Branch} where he can sign into law, veto or ignore, which the law will become effective at a set period of time without his signature.

They are supposed to be three equal branches - although each branch seems to want to corrupt the system (not surprisingly) to consolidate power to themselves.

The SCOTUS used Marbury v Madison to set itself up as the final arbitrator, the current occupant of the White House is exercising executive power previously unheard of and Congress makes rules that they themselves are exempt from.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

Congress doesn't enact laws.  They write them and vote on them.  The executive branch is the one that enacts the laws by making them official laws.  Or he vetoes them.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Did you actually read what I wrote?

Bird_on_a_wire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Yes I did.  You said that Congress enacts laws.  They don't.  The simply vote on them, pass them or send the law back to committee to fix so they can pass or let them die.

Quoting Billiejeens:
Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Did you actually read what I wrote?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I pass almost everyone.

I have a lead foot.

Quoting lylalane7275:

Did you pass?

Quoting Billiejeens:

okay then

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Not shocked.

Flattered (of course).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN