Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Feminist Father

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

A nice alternative to promise rings and purity balls.  Go Dad!

Photo of N.J. dad wearing 'Feminist Father' shirt goes viral

A photo of a South Jersey dad wearing a shirt that supports his daughter's views on feminism has gone viral on social media, according to a report from Yahoo! Shine.

The photo has been shared over 190,000 times on Tumblr and has more than 14,000 likes and 20,000 shares on Facebook since it was first posted on Sunday by 20-year-old Kristine Speare.

The shirt is on-sale online and has the following text in capital, white letters: "Rules for dating my daughter: 1. I don't make the rules. 2. You don't make the rules. 3. She makes the rules. 4. Her body, her rules. — feminist father."

Speare, a part-time student at Burlington County College, told the website her father is sincere about feminism and the shirt is not a gimmick.

"He's very supportive of me and the decisions I make for myself; he cares so much about me and my passion for feminism," Speare said. "He completely agrees with the shirt's message."

Speare's father Chuck owns a restaurant in Cherry Hill.

Her post had some help to make it go viral — it was retweeted by Australian TV star Caitlin Stasey on Twitter and was shared by RH Reality Check's Facebook page.

by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM

WTF is a purity ball? Like ball as in nut-sack?

LooLooMagoo
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this
I think I'll go for the purity ball.I wouldn't like it if my father wore a shirt like this.It would tell me he didn't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Purity balls, IMO, are very very creepy. If a girl wishes to be abstinent until marriage, it should be a pledge to herself not to her father. On that note, my dad was a big "my house, my rules" kind of dad. I rebelled a little but not much. As far as the shirt being "embarrassing", meh, parents are often embarrassing through the eyes of a teenager.

tattedmommy730
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM
3 moms liked this

good for him and good for her. My dad would wear this shirt

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM
3 moms liked this

No, it would tell you he had faith in your intelligence and ability to make good choices. 

Quoting LooLooMagoo: I think I'll go for the purity ball.I wouldn't like it if my father wore a shirt like this.It would tell me he didn't care.

Abaco
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I believe the best dads have rules. We need rules...especially at a young age.

Quoting LooLooMagoo: I think I'll go for the purity ball.I wouldn't like it if my father wore a shirt like this.It would tell me he didn't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

His daughter is 20. I think it's far better parenting to instill confidence and trust than to make some silly pledge when you're 12. And I have to agree with pp, purity balls are creepy. 

Quoting Abaco: I agree. I believe the best dads have rules. We need rules...especially at a young age.

Abaco
by on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM
If his daughter is living in his home, he (the Father) should enforce rules and expect the daughter/son to follow those rules or leave. If there were dating rules they should be followed. It's a huge problem now a days where parents want to be friends rather than parents.
Also, the pledge is made to themselves and God to remain pure.
You can think it's creepy all you want...lol. I believe it creepy for a Dad to wear a shirt like this and believe it.

Quoting PamR:

His daughter is 20. I think it's far better parenting to instill confidence and trust than to make some silly pledge when you're 12. And I have to agree with pp, purity balls are creepy. 

Quoting Abaco: I agree. I believe the best dads have rules. We need rules...especially at a young age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Dumb.  I'll bet these aren't going to be big sellers.  I don't know one single man who would wear such a shirt.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jun. 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM
This kind of stuff makes my skin crawl. Burk!!! Make it go away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN