Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

In Team Obama's world US workers are 'collateral damage' to green agenda

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM
  • 40 Replies

One of the leading leftwing environmentalists last week described the hundreds of thousands of Americans who may lose their jobs due to the Obama administration's new anti-carbon regulations as "collateral damage" in the fight against global warming.

The offensive comments were issued by William S. Becker, the head of the Climate Action Project, a well-funded environmental group.  

The job losses in the coal mining, oil and drilling, construction and trucking industries are acceptable to the left climate change zealots, especially if it means the U.S. will take a mostly symbolic step to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions.  

In his piece in the Huffington Post praising the new Environmental Protection Agency regulations to stop climate change, he lamented that "there is nothing explicit in the [Obama] plan to mitigate or adapt to the economic disruption the clean energy transition will cause for coal and oil-country families."  

He said that the pain and suffering to the estimated 200,000 families put out of work is an "evolutionary step in technology and the economy" and a move toward "economic progress."

Mr. Becker wants more government programs to help the "disrupted" families, as though yet another government job training program will solve the problem that these workers' lives have been turned upside down. Perhaps this is what the left means by "environmental justice."

The "let them eat cake" attitude may strike readers as unbelievably offensive and cavalier. Imagine the outcry if a Republican referred to middle class job losers as acceptable "collateral damage." The story would be on the front page of every newspaper in the country and if Mr. Becker were the head of an industry group he would almost surely be facing intense pressure to resign.  

But Mr. Becker is at least giving an honest assessment of the negative  impact of the radical anti-carbon lobby's crusade on middle class families. 

The job losses in the coal mining, oil and drilling, construction and trucking industries are acceptable to the left climate change zealots, especially if it means the U.S. will take a mostly symbolic step to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions.  

One study by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce finds that the new EPA regulations will destroy 200,000 mostly blue collar energy jobs, reduce the U.S. GDP by about $50 billion a year and cost families thousands of dollars over the next decade in higher energy costs.

The workers who will be harmed live in places like Wheeling, West Virginia and Bakersfield, California and hundreds of energy industry towns in between.  

Will voters in these areas tolerate these disruptions to their lives? Will they accept that they are"colletaral damage" to the radical  green movement? We will see.

Stephen Moore is a Fox News contributor. He serves as chief economist at the Heritage Foundation.

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM

They can't be too concerned about it because nobody put up any problem selling us an almost $30,000.00 car last week for my daughter and they have no problem taking extra money from me every month for my bumper to bumper 7 year warrenty gaurenteeing to keep my car on the road for no less than 7 years.

If anyone was all that concerned they would be making attempts to get gasoline cars off the road so they can make a transition of some kind

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:21 AM

"...government job training..."

That's an oxymoron.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

They have hybrid cars now...too bad no one can afford them.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

They can't be too concerned about it because nobody put up any problem selling us an almost $30,000.00 car last week for my daughter and they have no problem taking extra money from me every month for my bumper to bumper 7 year warrenty gaurenteeing to keep my car on the road for no less than 7 years.

If anyone was all that concerned they would be making attempts to get gasoline cars off the road so they can make a transition of some kind

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Mmmm...This post has nothing to do with cars and gas emissions.  It's about killing the coal industry and coal electric plants, thereby putting about 200,000 middle class people out of work.  It is also estimated $50B a year loss to the GDP.

Since the Chicago thug couldn't get cap and trade tax through during his first reign of terror, he has now given the EPA the power to put a strangle hold on coal electric plants.  Watch your electric rates "necessarily skyrocket".

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

turtle68
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Go Obama....save the planet.  Hero of humans.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this

You can have that pathetic excuse for a human, and let him save your country instead.

Quoting turtle68:

turtle68
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM

Quoting grandmab125:

You can have that pathetic excuse for a human, and let him save your country instead.

Quoting turtle68:

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:15 AM

Those are junk and they are not practical. Never in my life have I ever even seen anywhere to charge them and with my condo there is absolutely no way of way of even having a source installed. My single family house is an older house and to even get it updated to have something installed it would probably cost more than it's worth. They couldn't even people to buy them when they were offering a 7,500.00 tax credit because people figured out they are not worth it.

They are already talking about the batteries in them catch on fire. That's all I need is for my house to burn down too charging the damn thing.

I also think they are goofy looking

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Yeah I got what it was about but what's the use even going through all that when you still have 2, 3, 4, cars a house hold. Even if all the hype was true it's not going to make a difference or save the planet with all those cars probably causing more pollution than anything else.

I have not really noticed my utilities going up. I am sure for house holds that consist of a whole family or those who use allot of electricity they have gone up. For myself though it is usually just me and I use very little electricity. I am on the budget where they estimate and I pay the same amount monthly for electricity and due to using very little my estimation has actually gone down a little each year for the last 3 years or so Right now my electric is only 39 a month.

My heat same thing. I am on winter protection plan which means I pay a little more in the summer months so during the winter I am not hit with 3 and 4 hundred dollar bills each month. I think last winter I paid 70 something each month and now I am paying 98 when actually only because of the hot water tank I probably only use 30 dollars worth but that extra goes toward the higher price of winter. In November they will estimate and it will be lower.

Last winter I left for about 4 months. It was the worse winter since 1801 and was below zero almost the whole time I was gone. I had it turned way down to about 40 and just hoped the pipes didn't burst. When they did their calculations to estimate back in April they came back out to make sure something was not wrong with my meter because they couldn't understand how my usage was so low when those ongoing below zero temps were really hurting everyone else.

Same with my single family house. I have the same plans. I have my younger brother staying there so he can pay the utilities and he works 13 hours a day 6 days a week and is never there so I am sure they are very low too

Like I said though I don't live like most people, I require very little for just myself compared to what others use. I am also very careful not to be wasteful. I am not cheap I just don't waste.

Quoting grandmab125:

Mmmm...This post has nothing to do with cars and gas emissions.  It's about killing the coal industry and coal electric plants, thereby putting about 200,000 middle class people out of work.  It is also estimated $50B a year loss to the GDP.

Since the Chicago thug couldn't get cap and trade tax through during his first reign of terror, he has now given the EPA the power to put a strangle hold on coal electric plants.  Watch your electric rates "necessarily skyrocket".

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:06 AM

I agree with you. It's a haphazzard attempt (IMO). A lame "put 'em out there' for all the sheeple to say "oh look, Barry cares, Barry's doing something". 

pffftttt...eye rolling

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Those are junk and they are not practical. Never in my life have I ever even seen anywhere to charge them and with my condo there is absolutely no way of way of even having a source installed. My single family house is an older house and to even get it updated to have something installed it would probably cost more than it's worth. They couldn't even people to buy them when they were offering a 7,500.00 tax credit because people figured out they are not worth it.

They are already talking about the batteries in them catch on fire. That's all I need is for my house to burn down too charging the damn thing.

I also think they are goofy looking

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN