Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

New Charges for Dad Who Forgot That his Son was still in the car **UPDATED**

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM
  • 23 Replies

EXCLUSIVE: As 11,000 sign petition to release father charged with murder of toddler son who died in 91F car, we reveal the disturbing behavior that will make his supporters think twice

• Justin Ross Harris, 33, from Marietta, Georgia, has been charged with murder of son, Cooper, aged 22 months
  • He claims he went to work at Home Depot, forgot to drop Cooper off at daycare, and only discovered his tragic mistake seven hours later
  • But witnesses on the day say he was acting 'odd' and claimed at first that Cooper was choking
  • Witness Ed Cockerham told MailOnline: 'I know he had lost his baby but he was acting up more than he should have been. It seemed like acting to me'
  • He added that the parking lot where the drama unfolded was a ten-minute drive from where Harris worked
  • 'He had a lot of time to look in his mirror or look round to see the baby,' Cockerham added
  • Police said on Wednesday that Harris actually RETURNED to his car at lunch while at work to put something in the front passenger seat
  • But an online petition has been launched with 11,000 signatures supporting Harris' release - saying he is a great dad - and seeing his son die is punishment enough
  • But police are sticking to the murder charge. 'Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported,' said Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce

By RYAN PARRY IN MARIETTA, GEORGIA

The father accused of murdering his baby son after apparently leaving him alone for hours in a sweltering hot car was 'acting oddly' and told bystanders who tried to save the tot that the child had been ‘choking’ minutes earlier, the MailOnline can reveal.

Justin Ross Harris, 33, was supposed to drop 22-month-old Cooper to daycare around 9am last Wednesday but instead went straight to work, allegedly forgetting the boy was strapped in his car seat in the back of the vehicle for seven hours.

But instead of confessing to the tragic blunder – and admitting his baby had been dead for hours – it has been claimed Harris tried to cover his tracks by telling members of the public the child had just been choking.

And early Wednesday, police said that 'during lunch said accused did access the same vehicle through the driver's side door to place an object into the vehicle', hours before the drama unfolded

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

COBB COUNTY, Ga. -- A new warrant has been issued against Justin Ross Harris, the father accused of killing his 22-month-old son by leaving him in a hot car for over seven hours.

Harris is being charged with felony murder and second-degree cruelty to a child. Originally, Harris was charged with felony murder and first-degree cruelty to a child.

The warrant states Harris did place his son, Cooper, into a rear facing car seat after eating breakfast with his son at the Chick-fil-a on Cumberland Boulevard. Harris left his son in the car when he entered his workplace.

During Harris' lunch break, the warrant states, he returned to the car through the driver's side door to place an object in the vehicle. At around 4:16 p.m., Harris left work in his vehicle and pulled over at a shopping center on Akers Mill Road asking for assistance with his child.

Police arrested and charged Harris with child cruelty and felony murder a little over five hours after he discovered his son's body.

Harris told police he'd forgotten to drop his son off at daycare that morning.

Daaaaaaaamn

Del672
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM

You would think when he went to put something in his car at noon, the baby would have been crying or moaning at least.  Thanks for fixing up this post!!

Quoting -Celestial-:

COBB COUNTY, Ga. -- A new warrant has been issued against Justin Ross Harris, the father accused of killing his 22-month-old son by leaving him in a hot car for over seven hours.

Harris is being charged with felony murder and second-degree cruelty to a child. Originally, Harris was charged with felony murder and first-degree cruelty to a child.

The warrant states Harris did place his son, Cooper, into a rear facing car seat after eating breakfast with his son at the Chick-fil-a on Cumberland Boulevard. Harris left his son in the car when he entered his workplace.

During Harris' lunch break, the warrant states, he returned to the car through the driver's side door to place an object in the vehicle. At around 4:16 p.m., Harris left work in his vehicle and pulled over at a shopping center on Akers Mill Road asking for assistance with his child.

Police arrested and charged Harris with child cruelty and felony murder a little over five hours after he discovered his son's body.

Harris told police he'd forgotten to drop his son off at daycare that morning.

Daaaaaaaamn

Del672
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM

BUMP!

redheadstar
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Really? How do you forget about leaving your child in a hot car?

Last weekend, Hubby and I went for a drive- he ran into the bank as I waited in the car for 5 minutes ( it was 85 degrees that day)  it felt like an eternity in the car, I can only imagine how a baby would feel all those hours.

Del672
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Now they're saying he went out for lunch,  there is a whole lot more to this sad story than we know right now.  He's being held in jail, but police are tight lipped about the reasons.  Some claim he knew the child was there, he took him for breakfast before he went to work, how could you forget in that short time?

Quoting redheadstar:

Last weekend, Hubby and I went for a drive- he ran into the bank as I waited in the car for 5 minutes ( it was 85 degrees that day)  it felt like an eternity in the car, I can only imagine how a baby would feel all those hours.

LadyMarissa
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM

There's more to this story than the police have released.  According to a reporter from a local news station, there are many unanswered questions & they aren't sure the child was actually in the car all day as claimed.  They didn't think the dad was being honest.  Maybe they have filled in some of the missing pieces.

redheadstar
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM

wow- and the story changes.. SMH

Quoting Del672:

Now they're saying he went out for lunch,  there is a whole lot more to this sad story than we know right now.  He's being held in jail, but police are tight lipped about the reasons.  Some claim he knew the child was there, he took him for breakfast before he went to work, how could you forget in that short time?

Quoting redheadstar:

Del672
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

BUMP!

Del672
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

BUMP!

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Witness Ed Cockerham told MailOnline: 'I know he had lost his baby but he was acting up more than he should have been. It seemed like acting to me'

Anyone who is that stupid even if they really did forget deserves to go to prison if  for no other reason than being completely stupid. I gotta ask though, what exactly is "acting up more than he should have been" when you lose a child especially by your own stupidity ? Whoever was stupid enough to state that also deserves prison just for being too stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN