Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

‘This is America, speak English’!!!

Pema_Jampa
Aicha
Yesterday at 7:04 PM
Khaled, Taha, Faudel - Aicha - Live HD

Live Concert - 1,2,3 Soleils - 1998 ***Warning*** The last person who copied/stole this video to his account was reported and YT removed his copy of this video.

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  • 46 Replies

Arizona school superintendent wants to ban Spanish: ‘This is America, speak English’

By Scott Kaufman
Wednesday, June 25, 2014 12:04 EDT

Arizona state schools Superintendent John Huppenthal (KTVK)

A top Arizona school official who was outed as an anonymous Internet troll last week iscoming under fire for comments he made supporting the state-wide banning of Spanish.

“We all need to stomp out balkanization. No Spanish radio stations, no Spanish billboards, no Spanish TV stations, no Spanish newspapers,” Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal (R) wrote anonymously shortly after being elected.

“This is America, speak English,” he demanded. “I don’t mind them selling Mexican food as long as the menus are mostly in English. And, I’m not being humorous or racist.”

In 2010, Huppenthal called for the dismantling of the state’s Mexican-American Studies (MAS) program. He then helped write a law outlawing programs that he believed “promote resentment,” like MAS.

In a 2012 interview with NPR, Huppenthal said that the point of MAS was to “racemize” the students by teaching them about Marxism, “this oppressed and oppressors conflict, and the racemization was this construct of Caucasian power structure being the oppressors and Hispanic kids being the oppressed.”

After these comments came to light, the Arizona Chamber of Congress cancelled an awards show in which it had planned to honor Huppenthal. “Due to the recent comments that Superintendent Huppenthal admitted to making,” the chamber’s CEO and president Glenn Hamer said, “the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry will not be presenting the superintendent with an award at our annual luncheon as we had planned.”

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Funny how you don't hear the same arguments about the Amish speaking Hochdeitsch, or the native american languages.

dustinsmom1
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM
5 moms liked this

I think American schools should teach in English. Parents should be responsible for their children learning the language of the country they choose to live in. Amish Children dont go to public schools and Native Americans tend to go on the res.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Pema_Jampa
Aicha

Live Concert - 1,2,3 Soleils - 1998 ***Warning*** The last person who copied/stole this video to his account was reported and YT removed his copy of this video.

by Celeste on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM

What American schools do not teach English?

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I think American schools should teach in English. Parents should be responsible for their children learning the language of the country they choose to live in. Amish Children dont go to public schools and Native Americans tend to go on the res.

paknari
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM
6 moms liked this
Although I think schools should be taught in English and everyone should speak English, I don't think other languages should be removed. We are one of the only countries that doesn't require a second language early on and I think it is ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:25 PM

More Than 280 Common American Slang Expressions
Sorted Alphabetically

Pema_Jampa
Aicha

by Celeste on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

dustinsmom1
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM
4 moms liked this

What im saying is i dont think people should be taught in other languages other than English in American schools, unless they are taking a language class. I think its sad we are being forced as Ameircans to accommodate to a mostly illegal populations wishes.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

What American schools do not teach English?

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Pema_Jampa
Aicha

by Celeste on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Go back to England.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)