Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

CNN: Blame failed mental health system for mass shootings, not the NRA

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

On June 24, CNN Commentator Mel Robbins said the next time there is a mass shooting "don't jump to blame the NRA and lax gun laws." Rather, "look at the shooter and the mental health services he did or didn't get."

According to Robbins, the knee-jerk reaction for more gun control following a high profile gun crime is as misdirected as it is ineffective. She writes: "Strengthening gun control won't stop the next mass shooter, but changing our attitudes, the treatment options we offer and the laws for holding the mentally unstable and mentally ill for treatment just might."

Robbins focused on Elliot Rodger's heinous knife, hammer, machete, gun, and car attacks to make her point. She explained that Rodger legally bought guns in California, a state with "the toughest gun control laws in the country." 

The laws which Rodger obeyed to get his guns "received an 'A-' grade from both The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, the Los Angeles Times reported."

Yet after Rodger carried out his evil intentions on May 23, Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Richard Blumenthal, along with Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly, called for more gun control. 

But Robbins says these calls are misplaced. She said "it wasn't the gun laws" that allowed this to happen, but "the lack of common sense mental commitment laws."

by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I don't know what they do with crazies now but when I was a kid probably in the early 80's Michigan closed all their mental institution's and people are still bitching 30 years later about how they turned them all loose in the street with no where to go.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

I am for listing mental health patients on a no-gun registry, and allowing the doctors to use an objective criteria for placing patients there (NOT subjectively).  It is the only gun control that will make any sort of difference whatsoever, while not stepping on our 2nd amendment rights.

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I do not disagree with the article. have spend untold amount of money with trying to track guns, (I do not necesarrily think that is money wasted) but not nearly enough on mental health.  medical insurance companies have VERY LIMITED in patient mental health benefits.  you cannot adequately treat psychosis in 3 weeks or less!

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Breitbart must of just read her title and nothing else

Quote:

Next, we've got to connect the dots between mental health records and National Instant Background Check. In 2014,Mayors Against Illegal Guns released a report calling for states to close this gap. It found that 11 states and the District of Columbia have no reporting laws, and another 12 states have submitted fewer than 100 mental health records to the national background check system.

But connecting the dots won't help unless every gun sale is subject to an instant background check imposed on all licensed gun retailers.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/24/opinion/robbins-mental-health

smurfette1903
by on Jun. 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM
I agree with CNN. Even with insurance, mental health care is expensive and has very limited benefits. My plan only allows 12 visits per year. If you are seeing a counselor and psychotrist (sp), that goes quick. Blaming the NRA is an overly simple approach. Mental health care is absolutely deplorable and out of reach for most of the public.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Yup, I think it's like that everywhere.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

I don't know what they do with crazies now but when I was a kid probably in the early 80's Michigan closed all their mental institution's and people are still bitching 30 years later about how they turned them all loose in the street with no where to go.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:21 AM

You can't list all "mental health patients." 

I think you mean people with mental health issues who have been hospitalized due to being a danger to themselves or others.

Otherwise, you are including 95% of those who have solely committed the "crime" of getting help for their illness.

Need to define the term more clearly - or you are improperly infringing on the rights of fellow citizens. 

Besides, my theory is that everyone is mentally ill to some extent.

Quoting kailu1835:

I am for listing mental health patients on a no-gun registry, and allowing the doctors to use an objective criteria for placing patients there (NOT subjectively).  It is the only gun control that will make any sort of difference whatsoever, while not stepping on our 2nd amendment rights.

slb235
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps we can blame the shooters?

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Yup, I think it's like that everywhere.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Well while many are crying and complaining because they have assumed the Fema Camps that have been set up in preparation for Muslims like they did to Jews in Europe myself I don't believe that.

I believe it is more likely they are set up for people with mental issues and things such as Autism, Down Syndrome, and other birth defects who will be consider just a burden on society with nothing to contribute. That is just my opinion based on little knowledge but the only thing I can come up with.

Many with mental problems end up drunks and dope users or maybe from being drunks and users they end up mentally ill... I don't know which way. These are the homeless. Of course in the cities where we reside it is not tolerated to have a bunch of drunks and dope using who are probably mentally ill also laying all over the street but we still see it driving through Detroit, Highland Park, or Flint and it is a disturbing site to see

I know help is offered to them. They have shelters that offer resources to teach them skill and teach them how to be professional for resume's, interviews and work towards housing even with housing assistance but they are required to be clean and follow mental treatment plans.

Rather than do it and be out of the zero below street and work to build a normal life with many available resources they chose to have their drugs and alcohol as these programs don't help those who don't stay clean and make an effort.

These FEMA Camps  must be for this sometime in the near future. Those who choose to be trash from the street I am not concerned about. I am worried about those born with conditions and birth defects who do have families to support and care from them. Which if I am right I doubt it will make a difference and they will just throw all deformedor hadicapped in there in there to stay and rot so they don't have to be bothered with them.

Again I don't care about the trash in the srteet who have an option to change their life but I am disturbed at the possibilty of those who are not trash deciding to stay trash in the street but just have been born with a problem and they need somone to depend on like family but families die and then they still nedd someone and this heartless society will probably decide something like throwing them in a camp is less burden on them. .

mommyidk
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 2:50 AM
Wow...something on cnn I actually agree with. Nice!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)