Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pope Francis: Marx ‘did not invent anything,’ stole his best ideas from Christianity

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM
  • 6 Replies

Pope Francis: Marx ‘did not invent anything,’ stole his best ideas from Christianity

By Agence France-Presse
Sunday, June 29, 2014 13:58 EDT

Pope Francis (AFP)

Pope Francis has accused communism of stealing its ideas from Christianity, and said its founding thinker Karl Marx “did not invent anything.”

Commenting on suggestions in the media that his world view is not dissimilar to communist ideology, the pope responded that it was the church that got there first.

“The communists have stolen our flag. The flag of the poor is Christian. The poor are at the heart of the Gospel,” he said in an interview published on Sunday.

He cited the Beatitudes, the opening verses of the Sermon on the Mount, as an example of where Christianity had influenced communism.

“The communists say that all this is communism. Yeah, right, twenty centuries later. So one can say to them: ‘but then you are Christian,’” the pope said while laughing, according to the interview in Rome daily Il Messaggero.

Since assuming the papacy in March last year, Francis has established himself as a global voice on the side of the dispossessed with his critique of unfettered capitalism — earning the label of “Marxist” from conservative commentators in the United States.

It is a label he has frequently rejected.

“Marxist ideology is wrong,” he said in an interview with the Italian daily La Stampa last year. “But in my life I have met a lot of Marxists who are good people, so I do not feel offended.”

Also in Sunday’s interview, the Argentinian pope said that he was not supporting any team in the World Cup, currently underway in Brazil.

“I promised the president of Brazil (Dilma Rousseff) to remain neutral,” he was quoted as saying.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
1stmuslimah
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Ok were is the part that is supposed to be interesting news, what am I missing ?

He has many of Marxist who are nice people and he doesn't give a crap about the world cup....  Is there supposed to be some kind of point to the "article", or did they just have an extra spot on their "media" page they needed to fill up ?

Pema_Jampa
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Pope Francis, responding to recent criticism by conservatives, assured that he is not a Marxist, although he said Marxists can be good people.

In an apostolic exhortation last month, the pontiff attacked “unfettered capitalism” and argued, “Just as the commandment ‘Thou shalt not kill’ sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say, ‘Thou shalt not,’ to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills.”

Conservative radio talk-show host Rush Limbaugh blasted the pope as going “beyond Catholicism” to preach about politics.

“[This is] pure Marxism coming out of the mouth of the pope,” Mr. Limbaugh argued at the time.

But Pope Francis told the Italian newspaper La Stampa over the weekend that he believes Marxist ideology is wrong.

“Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don’t feel offended,” he said. “There is nothing in the Exhortation that cannot be found in the social Doctrine of the Church.”

He argued that he wasn’t speaking from a technical standpoint, but rather he was trying to “give a picture of what is going on.”

“The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the ‘trickle-down theories’ which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor,” he said.

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/15/pope-francis-marxist-ideology-wrong/#ixzz36575J6Oo 
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Pema_Jampa
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Bill O'Reilly will have a stroke!
Let me get the Pop Corn...

Pema_Jampa
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Pope Francis: Communists Are Closet Christians

Posted: Updated: 

POPE FRANCIS

Pope Francis, whose criticisms of unbridled capitalism have prompted some to label him a Marxist, said in an interview published on Sunday that communists had stolen the flag of Christianity.

The 77-year-old pontiff gave an interview to Il Messaggero, Rome's local newspaper, to mark the feast of Saints Peter and Paul, a Roman holiday.

He was asked about a blog post in the Economist magazine that said he sounded like a Leninist when he criticized capitalism and called for radical economic reform.

"I can only say that the communists have stolen our flag. The flag of the poor is Christian. Poverty is at the center of the Gospel," he said, citing Biblical passages about the need to help the poor, the sick and the needy.

"Communists say that all this is communism. Sure, twenty centuries later. So when they speak, one can say to them: 'but then you are Christian'," he said, laughing.

Since his election in March 2013, Francis has often attacked the global economic system as being insensitive to the poor and not doing enough to share wealth with those who need it most.

Earlier this month, he criticized the wealth made from financial speculation as intolerable and said speculation on commodities was a scandal that compromised the poor's access to food.

joyfree
by Kat on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Someone stole your post, too!
Pema_Jampa
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It's cause she loves me. I posted first so I will not delete mine. 

Quoting joyfree: Someone stole your post, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)