Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

High Cost of Birth Control

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 50 Replies
3 moms liked this

The High Costs of Birth Control

It’s Not As Affordable As You Think

Many people seem to think birth control is affordable, but high costs are one of the primary barriers to contraceptive access. It is for this reason that the Obama administration recently followed the recommendation of the Institute of Medicine to ensure that birth control will be covered as a preventive service with no cost-sharing beginning August 1, 2012.

Although three-quarters of American women of childbearing age have private insurance, they still have had to pay a significant portion of contraceptive costs on their own.

• A recent study shows that women with private insurance paid about 50 percent of the total costs for oral contraceptives, even though the typical out-of-pocket cost of noncontraceptive drugs is only 33 percent.
  • In some cases oral contraceptives approach 29 percent of out-of-pocket spending on health care for women with private insurance.
  • Women of reproductive age spend 68 percent more on out-of-pocket health care costs than do men, in part because of contraceptive costs.

High costs have forced many women to stop or delay using their preferred method, while others have chosen to depend on less effective methods that are the most affordable.

• Surveys show that nearly one in four women with household incomes of less than $75,000 have put off a doctor’s visit for birth control to save money in the past year.
  • Twenty-nine percent of women report that they have tried to save money by using their method inconsistently.
  • More than half of young adult women say they have not used their method as directed because it was cost-prohibitive.

Women are struggling to pay for birth control at a time when they need it most.

So how much does birth control cost exactly? This chart lays it all out.*

Comparative chart of birth control methods and their costs

For a woman with no health insurance coverage who works at a low-paying job, like at Hobby Lobby, the cost of some of these contraceptives could be prohibitive. 

by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM
8 moms liked this

A woman without health insurance working a low-paying job like at Hobby Lobby would be on medicaid or go to planned parenthood, who has a sliding pay scale.  No way would she be paying that much.  Oh, yeah, there is also that $9/mo cost from Wal-mart.... which would be $108 annually for the pills, plus a doctor visit.  (You don't go to the doc every single month for this, unless you are having some major problems.)  I do not buy the figures being sold on this chart.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 2, 2014 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I was very lucky when I was first married, my ob/gyn would give me a six month supply of pills at no charge when I went for a visit, so I went twice a year and didn't have to worry about paying out of pocket for the medication, since we didn't have good insurance and had no prescription coverage.

BC can be expensive or inexpensive.  It's also truly irrelevant to the real issues with the HL case, which have to do with corporate personhood and the ability to get around laws through religious exemptions.

A very very slippery slope.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM

When I had my incursion procedure done my doctor just wrote it up as a medical procedure necessity having to do with menstruation issues. Not only was it necessary to write it up as such because I go through a Catholic hospital net work who other wise does not do birth control  but also because it reduces the cost.

It's not just my doctor. I have been with this hospital every since I can remember and have been through so many different woman's doctors as they come and go and all of them will do birth control even if just prescribing oral but they explain the only way the hospital they are under will permit is to turn it into a menstruation issue. Some insurances didn't cover it at all but when wrote up as needed for difficulties they do cover it.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Quoting 29again:

A woman without health insurance working a low-paying job like at Hobby Lobby would be on medicaid or go to planned parenthood, who has a sliding pay scale.  No way would she be paying that much.  Oh, yeah, there is also that $9/mo cost from Wal-mart.... which would be $108 annually for the pills, plus a doctor visit.  (You don't go to the doc every single month for this, unless you are having some major problems.)  I do not buy the figures being sold on this chart.

Years ago when I went through a time period between insurance's and didn't have any for a while I went to the Health Department. I think it cost $18.00 for the examimation and the pills every month. I think I would have had to go back once a year for that $18.00 but I only stuck with it for a about 4 months then quit.

I never have liked birth control and because my Migraines are hormone related it always makes them worse and more frequent. I have this stupid 5 year gadget now and I will do away with it soon when I have the time to care enough.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this

How do they see this as a win? More people will have to go to the government for help. Isn't that what we were trying to avoid? Well HL won't be paying for their slut pills but now all of us will be with our tax dollars.

Derp

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Hopefully she doesn't live in an area where PP clinics have been run out, or falls through the cracks in getting on Medicaid. There are many women who have to pay for it themselves. Some women can't take the pill, but an IUD would be beyond their ability to pay for. Contraception reduces abortion. It's not rocket science. Making bc harder to afford will only increase unplanned pregnancy. 

Quoting 29again:

Seracake
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM

The copper IUD, not the Mirena, has a 10 year effective period and does not contain any hormones. The 5 year IUD, Mirena, even though has low dose hormones can still induce hormone related migraines.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Years ago when I went through a time period between insurance's and didn't have any for a while I went to the Health Department. I think it cost $18.00 for the examimation and the pills every month. I think I would have had to go back once a year for that $18.00 but I only stuck with it for a about 4 months then quit.

I never have liked birth control and because my Migraines are hormone related it always makes them worse and more frequent. I have this stupid 5 year gadget now and I will do away with it soon when I have the time to care enough.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Yes I has both options and chose the Mirena. I don't like the hormones but I didn't like the idea of copper either. I am just going to do away with it all together after I get all these other doctors out of the way which I am hopeing is next week.

If I have my way I'll never have sex again so I don't need it.

Quoting Seracake:

The copper IUD, not the Mirena, has a 10 year effective period and does not contain any hormones. The 5 year IUD, Mirena, even though has low dose hormones can still induce hormone related migraines.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

Seracake
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Let me warn you, most women bleed a lot once the Mirena is removed and their bodies shed and get back to normal. It can be alarming so be prepared if it happens.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Yes I has both options and chose the Mirena. I don't like the hormones but I didn't like the idea of copper either. I am just going to do away with it all together after I get all these other doctors out of the way which I am hopeing is next week.

If I have my way I'll never have sex again so I don't need it.

Quoting Seracake:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting 29again:

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM
8 moms liked this

For the umpteenth time......Once upon a time we paid for our own bc.  Insurance didn't cover it.  Not only did we pay for our own bc, we paid for well baby visits and vaccines.  Insurance did not pay for health exams.  The only time they covered anything was if you were sick, needed a procedure, ob/gyn, in patient hospital,  ER, surgeries, medical tests, things like that.

It's the gimme, gimme, society that abounds in this country.  No one owes you anything that you have not earned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)