Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Minor Emergency Clinic refused to LET ME PAY for my doctor visit?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:57 AM
  • 30 Replies

So, we're between insurance plans at the moment.   Did have BCBS with previous employer, and will have BCBS  with new employer after 30 days.  

My son got a little Summer cold (he's 23).  His cold lasted about 4-5 days. Pretty routine. And I caught it from him. I thought, okay it'll be over in a few days - drink fluids, rest, treat with OTC.

And then it morphed into Bronchitis and Sinusitis about day 5.  I was miserable and knew I needed to see a doctor.  We're new to the area so I wasn't sure which little 'walk-in clinic" I should go to and picked the one closest to me.

It was a Himark MedEx Minor Emergency Clinic.    When I walked in I was asked if I had insurance, I told them I was between plans and would be paying CASH - IN FULL for my visit.

They refused to treat me.. What kind of doctor won't accept private pay - you'd think they would prefer that ALL of their patients pay in cash.... unless  maybe they're scamming the insurance??

What the crap??  We've come to this in this country?  Your cash is no good here.  

by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Most likely they do not want to get in trouble with the Federal Government and the new Obama-care requirements.

TheCupcakeMom
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I thought it was illegal for an emergency place to deny to seeing anyone? 

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I had the same experience multiple times years ago when DH and i were first married. I couldn't find a doctor to see him about his bee allergy because he didn't have insurance.

They don't want to see cash only patients because they've been burned too many times by people who said they were paying cash.

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

That is for emergency services at a hospital, not walk-in services at a local clinic.

Quoting TheCupcakeMom:

I thought it was illegal for an emergency place to deny to seeing anyone? 

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Very strange. I've worked in medical administration for years and everywhere I have worked we took cash payment. Not everyone has insurance. They had to pay in full but most places offer a small discount to these patients. 

codfish
by Jen on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you say insurance scammers? They don't want your cash because they can charge an outrageous amount to insurance.
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
If there is a possibility that you're son ends up on state insurance in the next month, and the start finds our that the clinic took money from you, they will get into huge trouble. I find it to be completely idiotic. Too much government interference.
littlemum41
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Oh yeah, it must be all Obama's fault. 

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:23 AM

That was my first thought before even seeing you say it "they are scamming insurance companies". I caught my dentist cheating them. My plan only covers 2 cleanings a year, denture and I don't what else but they don't cover what I need.. because I have a dental issue I have a procedure done twice a year (lower then upper) plus 4 cleaning a year. That means I should pay a total of $800.00 for the special procedure and $60.00 a cleaning for 2 extra cleaning ($120.00) This is the third year in a row and to this date the dentist has never charged me a penny. I always go prepared to pay in full. When I check out and get ready to pay they say "you are all set".

Then I needed documentation of all the work I had done for something else. I needed for legal purposes and they refused to give me any documentation. They acted as if they don't even know me. That is when I figured out they are charging my insurance for crap they didn't do and they don't have documentation of the actual work that is not covered. I have been too sick to think going for dental work on time but I am curious when I call for an appointment if they will be scared and refuse me now that I asked them for documentation.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I don't understand what you are trying to say. The son didn't receive the treatment you must be reading that part wrong but if he did why would they be in trouble for accepting his money during a period he didn't have coverage ?

I am not arguing with you or doubting you because none of this health care shit makes any sense. I am curious as why that would be and what is the logic behind it ?

Quoting kailu1835: If there is a possibility that you're son ends up on state insurance in the next month, and the start finds our that the clinic took money from you, they will get into huge trouble. I find it to be completely idiotic. Too much government interference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)