Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

“The N***** in the White House.”

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM
  • 18 Replies

N-word in the White House: NYC monthly shocks with pro-Obama column

By Scott Kaufman
Monday, July 7, 2014 8:01 EDT
\
Obama (AFP)

A local newspaper in New York City’s West Village is coming under fire for an column entitled “The N***** in the White House.”

The column in WestView News was penned by James Lincoln Collier, author of the award-winning children’s book My Brother Sam Is Dead. It is actually supportive of the president, arguing that “these far right voters hate Obama because he is black.”

“The simple truth,” Collier continued, “is that there is still in America an irreducible measure of racism,” which he connects to the position on immigration that allowed David Brat to defeatEric Cantor in a Republican primary last month.

He wanted to use the word in the headline “to shock [readers] into accepting that there still are people who believe and use this outrageous word.”

George Capsis, the 86-year-old editor and publisher of the paper, prefaced the column by noting that, in it, “Jim reminded me that The New York Times avoids using the word which convinced me that WestView should.” He also mentioned that the paper’s editorial staff “continues to object” to the word’s use.

In fact, Collier’s column shared a page with another titled “The Headline Offends Me,” written by the paper’s African-American columnist, Alvin Hall. “The decision to use the headline feels misguided to me,” he wrote, adding that “just seeing the n-word in a headline or in an article always makes me bristle.”

This is not the WestView editor’s first brush with infamy. Last August, Capsis attacked two people at a Christine Quinn rally for supporting the candidate’s healthcare position. The previous May, he was arrested for slapping a police officer whose van, he claimed, had cut him off.

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My goodness.....

Black people and the "n" word gets dragged into every damn thing.The race baiting never gets old for tea party people and kkk members...lol..

The shock and awe of the article title isnt news to most blacks.The president couldnt be bothered with the racist nonsense either.Maybe its more a wake up call to those of other races in deniel and fake.

Obama is the most powerful leader in the world next to the pope.He is the president of the United States.

Let the racists rant.They are jealous.They are dying out and they want to make noise.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh the dumb masses.

The boy that wrote that is an Obama - fan.

Not a teapartier, or the White Knights.

Quoting MomTiara19:

My goodness.....

Black people and the "n" word gets dragged into every damn thing.The race baiting never gets old for tea party people and kkk members...lol..

The shock and awe of the article title isnt news to most blacks.The president couldnt be bothered with the racist nonsense either.Maybe its more a wake up call to those of other races in deniel and fake.

Obama is the most powerful leader in the world next to the pope.He is the president of the United States.

Let the racists rant.They are jealous.They are dying out and they want to make noise.

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM
It is always breaking news when someone uses the dreaded "n" word. So terrifying it must include quotation marks always. It is so tiresome. I am no longer surprised to see it used. I laugh when "patriots" use it to talk about the leader of the country they love. When people who like Obama use it, they think they are going to get a pass but they like everyone else in the media simply says it to get attention. In their world there is no such thing as bad press.
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Smh
BGarcel
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

You still can't deny the absurd amount of racism still present in this country. Especially inside bible belt states.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Oh the dumb masses.

Quoting MomTiara19:

My goodness.....

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

shockReading comp 101 would be quite helpful.

Quoting MomTiara19:

My goodness.....

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:32 AM

tired

BGarcel
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes it's been way too long for racism to still exist. It tires me out too.

Quoting grandmab125:

tired

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Or Chicago, Newark, Philadelphia, Detroit.......

Quoting BGarcel:

You still can't deny the absurd amount of racism still present in this country. Especially inside bible belt states.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Oh the dumb masses.

Quoting MomTiara19:

My goodness.....

BGarcel
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree it's everywhere. But where it has practically been made into an aspect of daily living are bible belt states.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Or Chicago, Newark, Philadelphia, Detroit.......

Quoting BGarcel:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Oh the dumb masses.

Quoting MomTiara19:

My goodness.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)