A float in a Fourth of July parade in Norfolk, Nebraska over the weekend offended some people because it mocked President Obama, so of course it's racist. Didn't you know that insulting the black President means you're a racist? Where have you been the last six or seven years?

The controversial float consisted of a male dummy in overalls, propped up in front of an outhouse with a walker. Wooden signs on the side of the structure identified it as "Obama's Presidential Library."

A member of the parade committee that approved the float explained his reasoning. Rick Konopasek told the Lincoln Journal Star that while floats containing nudity or sexually explicit themes were not allowed, they didn't want to censor for political correctness.

"We don't feel it's right to tell someone what they can and can't express," he said. "This was political satire. If we start saying no to certain floats we might as well not have a parade at all."

Of course not everyone viewed the offensive float as free expression of opinions. Glory Kathurima, who says she was born in Kenya, said she was "scared and angry" when she saw it. "This float was not just political," she said. "This was absolutely a racial statement."

Echoing Kathurima's sentiments was the Nebraska Democratic Party, which issued a statement calling the float one of "the worst displays of racism and disrespect for the office of of the presidency that Nebraska has ever seen."

Apparently the Nebraska Democratic Party turned a blind eye to all the times people put a Hitler moustache on George W. Bush, or threatened to kill him, or you know, burned him in effigy. I'm thinking that those things show far more disrespect to the office of the presidency than an outhouse, but what do I know?

Now onto the racism element. I doubt this has anything to do with race, and more to do with commenting on the crappy job Obama has done as President. In case you hadn't noticed, or only watch MSNBC or something, Obama's approval ratings suck. I bet he's grateful for Congress and cockroaches, because it means he doesn't have to be at the bottom of the approval rating barrel.

Was this float tasteless, rude, and offensive? Yes, in my opinion it was. As a Republican, I don't think things like this help our cause, mostly because then we get the numbskulls yelling raaaaaccccissssmmm at us, because apparently that word has become so overused it's lost all meaning. 

Criticizing the president, even in an unsavory manner, isn't racist just because the president happens to be black. In fact, some people (cough cough Hillary Clinton) might even call dissent "patriotic."

Do you think this float is racist?

Image via The Gazette/Twitter