Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

When Ted Cruz and the ACLU Agree Against the Government, People Should Listen

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

How often does the ACLU take the same position as Ted Cruz.

His three questions to the Senate committee were riveting:

1. Should Congress be able to ban books?
  2. Should Congress be able to ban movies?
  3. Should Congress be able to prohibit the NAACP from speaking about politics?

As you can see in the above video this proposed amendment to the Constitution would empower congress to do all three.

As Ted Cruz wrote in the Southeast Texas Record,

The answer to all three questions should, unequivocally, be “no.” But, sadly, 46 Democrats in the U.S. Senate are supporting a constitutional amendment to repeal the free-speech provisions of the First Amendment and give Congress carte blanche power to regulate political speech.

It’s all because a group of conservative filmmakers made a documentary film in 2008 about then-Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton that did not speak favorably about her record. Forty-five Senate Democrats are now supporting a constitutional amendment from Sen. Tom Udall of New Mexico to stop Americans from showing movies like the one Citizens United created during the 2008 election.

Forty-six Senate Democrats are willing to rewrite the Constitution to take away the right of Americans to speak or create art that is critical of politicians.

Forty-six Senate Democrats are actively working to silence political criticism ahead of the next presidential election.

They are the “Fahrenheit 451” Democrats.

Never before has Congress tampered with the First Amendment.

When a similar proposal was considered in 1997, the famed liberal lion of the Senate, Ted Kennedy, reminded his colleagues that never before had the Bill of Rights been amended and “now is no time to start.”

Democrats in office don’t seem to have any idea that they are supposed to protect civil liberties. They see them as impediments to their power. They are literally proposing to rewrite the Constitution to do so.

Cruz is right. This is a radical proposal. The fact that Senate Democrats are trying to amend the First Amendment should be front page news in all newspapers. But it is not. Read the “tone” in USA Today’s story:

A long-shot effort to amend the U.S. Constitution to curb political spending won the approval of a key Senate committee Thursday.

By a 10-8 vote, the Democratic-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee approved a measure that would give Congress and the states the power to ban corporations from spending money to influence elections. It heads next to the full Senate.

The proposed amendment stands little chance of winning the required support of two-thirds of Congress, but the heated debate at the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday underscores the intensity of the fight over the growing role of unlimited money in elections.

[…]

…the American Civil Liberties Union strongly opposes the proposed amendment. In a June letter to the Judiciary Committee’s top senators, ACLU officials warned that the proposed amendment would give Congress the power to limit the publication of politician’s books, such as Hillary Rodham Clinton’s new memoir, Hard Choices, if she decides to seek the presidency.

I hope the paper is right that this is a “long-shot effort.” But the fact that it is even being considered means that our country is rotting. Politicians should fear to ever suggest such an amendment. It should end their political careers.

Note that all of this was about speech and freedom of the press. Now that Hobby Lobby has won their case, I suppose we will soon see Democrats proposing to amend that part of the First Amendment as well.

by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Just goes to show that there are idiots in both parties.  Another reason why we need term limits.  

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

By a 10-8 vote, the Democratic-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee approved a measure that would give Congress and the states the power to ban corporations from spending money to influence elections

This is important..

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Not true.

Please read:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/23/1301511/-Sen-Ted-Cruz-says-Democrats-plan-to-repeal-the-First-Amendment#

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) drew audible gasps Thursday when he told gathering of Christian conservatives that Democrats intended to amend the Constitution to limit free speech.

“When you think it can’t get any worse, it does,” Cruz warned at the Watchmen on the Wall gathering of pastors sponsored by the Family Research Council.

“This year, I’m sorry to tell you, the United States Senate is going to be voting on a constitutional amendment to repeal the First Amendment,” Cruz said, to the audible shock of the crowd.

Hey, I'm shocked too. I wasn't aware that a repeal of the First Amendment was in the works—is this some Duck Dynasty thing? I can't keep track.

“I am telling you, I am not making this up,” Cruz said. “Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has announced the Senate Democrats are scheduling a vote on a constitutional amendment to give Congress the authority to regulate political speech, because elected officials have decided they don’t like it when the citizenry has the temerity to criticize what they’ve done.”

Oooooooooh. It appears Cruz is talking about a campaign spending amendment proposed by New Mexico Tom Udall meant to overturn the Citizens United decision and lessen the flood of corporate money into American elections. That's the First Amendment he's talking about, the newfangled one that says corporations are people and money is speech and the oil companies are citizens more than you or I will ever be and how dare you try and limit the ability of corporations to explicitly buy the election results they want throughout the nation because that makes Patriot Jesus cry. Yeah, it's not going to happen. The Udall proposal would require the Republicans to be on board as well, and Republicans would rather chew their own arms off than take their hands out of that cookie jar.

I should have known Cruz was talking about money. Whenever a tea-party type talks about the Constitution, it's always something about money. Even when it's about guns, it's about money.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/05/28/ted-cruz-mangles-constitution-claim-senate-democrats-abolish-1st-amendment.html

Ted Cruz was introducing his evangelical lunatic father at the Christian preacher gathering, Watchmen on the Wall, sponsored by the extremist Family Research Council and combined the Koch-Republican-Supreme Court definition of money as speech with a very healthy dose of Republican fear mongering to influence evangelical fanatics into believing Senate Democrats were abolishing the 1st Amendment. Now, the first indication that Cruz’s imbecile audience was about as intelligent as a fence post was the fact none of them jumped out of their seat and screamed that Congress cannot possibly abolish a Constitutional Amendment, but that never happened because a god-man like Ted could not possibly lie. However, he did lie and it was a serious piece of fallacy that would make pathological liars Willard Romney and Paul Ryan gasp out loud.

Actually, members of Cruz’s audience did audibly gasp when he sounded the ominous warning, “When you think it can’t get any worse, it does. This year, I’m sorry to tell you, the United States Senate is going to be voting on a constitutional amendment to repeal the First Amendment. I am telling you, I am not making this up.” In all truth, the lying evangelical teabagger was “making this up” and he did not stop there. He also told attendees that “Senate Democrats are scheduling a vote to give Congress the authority to regulate political speech, because elected officials have decided they don’t like it when the citizenry has the temerity to criticize what they’ve done.” To instill even more shock and awe in the gathered Christian clergy, Cruz hit them where it would inflict real pain and have the greatest impact when he said, “they don’t like it when pastors in their community stand up and speak the truth.”

What Cruz did not tell the preachers was that Senate Democrats are going to schedule a vote sometime this year on Senate Joint Resolution 19 which, if it garners two-thirds majority support in both the Senate and the House, will be sent to the states for ratification as a Constitutional amendment undoing the wildly unpopular Koch-Supreme Court ruling on Citizens United and McCutcheon cases when the conservative Court redefined campaign financing (money) into 1st Amendment corporate free speech. Cruz never explained to the flabbergasted preachers the resolution required two-thirds support in Congress and the states before becoming a Constitutional amendment, or that it will never happen in most Americans’ lifetime, but his dirty lie had the desired effect.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Quoting -Celestial-:

Quote:By a 10-8 vote, the Democratic-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee approved a measure that would give Congress and the states the power to ban corporations from spending money to influence elections

This is important..

so fucking stupid.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM

So is the Dailykos a good middle of the road source?  I know you dont like Drudge or Breitbart, so is the Dailykos fair?

Quoting littlemum41:

Not true.

Please read:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/23/1301511/-Sen-Ted-Cruz-says-Democrats-plan-to-repeal-the-First-Amendment#

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) drew audible gasps Thursday when he told gathering of Christian conservatives that Democrats intended to amend the Constitution to limit free speech.

“When you think it can’t get any worse, it does,” Cruz warned at the Watchmen on the Wall gathering of pastors sponsored by the Family Research Council.

“This year, I’m sorry to tell you, the United States Senate is going to be voting on a constitutional amendment to repeal the First Amendment,” Cruz said, to the audible shock of the crowd.

Hey, I'm shocked too. I wasn't aware that a repeal of the First Amendment was in the works—is this some Duck Dynasty thing? I can't keep track.

“I am telling you, I am not making this up,” Cruz said. “Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has announced the Senate Democrats are scheduling a vote on a constitutional amendment to give Congress the authority to regulate political speech, because elected officials have decided they don’t like it when the citizenry has the temerity to criticize what they’ve done.”

Oooooooooh. It appears Cruz is talking about a campaign spending amendment proposed by New Mexico Tom Udall meant to overturn the Citizens United decision and lessen the flood of corporate money into American elections. That's the First Amendment he's talking about, the newfangled one that says corporations are people and money is speech and the oil companies are citizens more than you or I will ever be and how dare you try and limit the ability of corporations to explicitly buy the election results they want throughout the nation because that makes Patriot Jesus cry. Yeah, it's not going to happen. The Udall proposal would require the Republicans to be on board as well, and Republicans would rather chew their own arms off than take their hands out of that cookie jar.

I should have known Cruz was talking about money. Whenever a tea-party type talks about the Constitution, it's always something about money. Even when it's about guns, it's about money.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/05/28/ted-cruz-mangles-constitution-claim-senate-democrats-abolish-1st-amendment.html

Ted Cruz was introducing his evangelical lunatic father at the Christian preacher gathering, Watchmen on the Wall, sponsored by the extremist Family Research Council and combined the Koch-Republican-Supreme Court definition of money as speech with a very healthy dose of Republican fear mongering to influence evangelical fanatics into believing Senate Democrats were abolishing the 1st Amendment. Now, the first indication that Cruz’s imbecile audience was about as intelligent as a fence post was the fact none of them jumped out of their seat and screamed that Congress cannot possibly abolish a Constitutional Amendment, but that never happened because a god-man like Ted could not possibly lie. However, he did lie and it was a serious piece of fallacy that would make pathological liars Willard Romney and Paul Ryan gasp out loud.

Actually, members of Cruz’s audience did audibly gasp when he sounded the ominous warning, “When you think it can’t get any worse, it does. This year, I’m sorry to tell you, the United States Senate is going to be voting on a constitutional amendment to repeal the First Amendment. I am telling you, I am not making this up.” In all truth, the lying evangelical teabagger was “making this up” and he did not stop there. He also told attendees that “Senate Democrats are scheduling a vote to give Congress the authority to regulate political speech, because elected officials have decided they don’t like it when the citizenry has the temerity to criticize what they’ve done.” To instill even more shock and awe in the gathered Christian clergy, Cruz hit them where it would inflict real pain and have the greatest impact when he said, “they don’t like it when pastors in their community stand up and speak the truth.”

What Cruz did not tell the preachers was that Senate Democrats are going to schedule a vote sometime this year on Senate Joint Resolution 19 which, if it garners two-thirds majority support in both the Senate and the House, will be sent to the states for ratification as a Constitutional amendment undoing the wildly unpopular Koch-Supreme Court ruling on Citizens United and McCutcheon cases when the conservative Court redefined campaign financing (money) into 1st Amendment corporate free speech. Cruz never explained to the flabbergasted preachers the resolution required two-thirds support in Congress and the states before becoming a Constitutional amendment, or that it will never happen in most Americans’ lifetime, but his dirty lie had the desired effect.

littlemum41
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Here's the thing. I believe ANYONE over Ted Cruz and this just proves to me ---again---that he lies like a rug. The sources ---two sources--that I posted told the TRUTH with facts.  Cruz used his own method of reporting. He lied, without even caring that there were no facts to back up his lies.

Quoting lylalane7275:

So is the Dailykos a good middle of the road source?  I know you dont like Drudge or Breitbart, so is the Dailykos fair?

Quoting littlemum41:

Not true.

Please read:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM

What was the lie?

Quoting littlemum41:

Here's the thing. I believe ANYONE over Ted Cruz and this just proves to me ---again---that he lies like a rug. The sources ---two sources--that I posted told the TRUTH with facts.  Cruz used his own method of reporting. He lied, without even caring that there were no facts to back up his lies.

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting littlemum41:

Not true.

Please read:

joyfree
by Kat on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:32 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting -Celestial-:

Quote:By a 10-8 vote, the Democratic-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee approved a measure that would give Congress and the states the power to ban corporations from spending money to influence elections

This is important..

so fucking stupid.

Oh, Billie, don't be so down on yourself! Even you have been known to make a boo-boo here and there...

wink

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)