Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Can We Please Stop Allowing Southern States to Ruin This Country?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:57 AM
  • 19 Replies
3 moms liked this

Can We Please Stop Allowing Southern States to Ruin This Country? 

Sometimes liberals joke that we should have just let the South secede and become their own country because we would have been much better off.  And while I know that’s not literally true (though I’m sure some will argue that it is), history tells us that in this country we’re constantly held back from progress by these Southern states which thrive on ignorance.

First we had slavery.  The southern states nearly ripped this country apart just so that they could continue to own other human beings and deny African Americans their freedom.  This country literally fought a civil war because of the South.

I always found it ironic that the states fighting to keep slavery claimed to be “defending their Constitutional rights.”  Only in an ignorant, delusional mind could you want to secede from a country (of which you claim to be an avid patriot) because that very same Constitution you claim to hold so dear doesn’t support your ignorance.

But isn’t that the argument they always use?  “I’m standing for my Constitutional rights!”  Because, well, they believe that our Tenth Amendment somehow gives their states the right to violate the Constitution.  Which it doesn’t.

But then next up was women’s suffrage.  And while it wasn’t just Southern states which opposed it, until women were finally given the right to vote, it was illegal for women to vote in every Southern state and they strongly opposed giving women voting rights.

Then, of course, segregation.  Another little “gem” from our history that we look back on today with utter disdain that Southern states overwhelmingly supported.  Once again, our nation tried to move forward – and Southern states tried to hold us back.

Same thing goes for interracial marriage when Southern states claimed “states rights” once again, with many saying that it was against their religious beliefs to “allow the mixing of the races.”

Now days it’s the fight for gay rights and same-sex marriage that has Southern states up in arms claiming the same nonsense they have for over 150 years.  Forcing them to recognize same-sex marriage, or give homosexuals equal rights, is – you guessed it – a violation of their religious freedoms and states rights.

Enough is enough.  I’m sick and tired of these backwards, knuckle-dragging Southern states constantly holding this country back.  Every time we try to make a bold move and move this country forward, we have to battle with people who long for the days of segregation, women being barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen and a gun holster on everyone’s belt.

It’s no wonder most of these people don’t believe in evolution.  It’s been over 150 years since the civil war and somehow generation after generation of people within these Southern states remain just as ignorant today as they were back then.

- See more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/can-please-stop-allowing-southern-states-ruin-country/#sthash.yKhE9CwV.dpuf

by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Quoting -Celestial-:

Enough is enough.  I’m sick and tired of these backwards, knuckle-dragging Southern states constantly holding this country back.  Every time we try to make a bold move and move this country forward,

Conservatism has a valid role to play.

Change just for change's own sake isn't good.   If you move, it is up to those promoting the move to prove that the move is a move towards a better society.   Someone has to state the case for the status quo, for 'tried and tested' values.   Else the bar would be too low, and every change would pass, no matter how weak the evidence.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I love being a Yankee:).

Slavery days are over.Did these hillbillies get the memo..lol??I stand on the shoulders of fighters and of giants:).I am a strong proud American woman who happens to be black and married to one wonderful white guy:).

These confederate crazies are ignorant,backwards and stuck in a time warp.The rest of America cant allow these twisted people to drag us down.

They lost.They need to get over it .They need to join the year 2014 with the rest of us.

AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
As a southerner who fights stupidity everyday I leave the house, I'm going to take umbrage. Not all of it but some of the umbrage. We have by no means cornered the market of stupidity in this country. I'm pointing hard to the southwest where most of the psychotic gun nut behavior (lI've hot an idea, let's take the assault rifle to tcby!) seems to get started. Also most of thy mass killings take place out there and the really scary white supremacists seem to hang out in places like Iowa or Indiana and stuff. Florida isn't really a southern state.
And if thy south sucks so bad, why do they keep invading? They come and come and talk shit as they hand over their money to people they call morons. Sigh
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Sigh, I know.  I live in Virgina's capital.  It is astonishing, we have to drag these neanderthals kicking and screaming into the 21st century.  We have made in roads.  The first state to elect a black governor was Virginia.  And that was in 1990.  A full 18 years before we elected the first black President.  

TommieToo
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this

OK folks, I am a proud born, bred and still living in the SOUTH white woman.  I would say some of my best friends are black, but they have all died (I am old you see.)  I did graduate Cum Laude from an all black (except for the 8 whites who enrolled the same year I did) University.

The South has its problems, but they came WITH the Carpetbaggers when the Civil (War Between the States) War ended and we have been too polite to kick them out.  Southern manners you know.  

Slavery was an awful thing and needed to be stopped, but the Civil War was not about that.  It was one of the products of that war and a good rallying cry for those hesitant to join.

I'm sorry we make such easy targets for this kind of denigration, but this WHOLE country has big problems.   In my view it really took hold when we "sold our souls to the company store".  Do you remember that?"  

Now instead of a Republic, we are becoming an Oligarchy.  The only thing that can turn that around is for YOU and all YOURS to get involved in the political process and make your voices heard over the quacks of the followers of the latest loud lie, who lie to us daily on this board, in the newspapers, on radio, and television.  

Be BRAVE, look around you - if you do that with an unbiased eye, you will begin to see you have been lied to and used horribly

group hug

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Amen to that sister!

Ignorance (mostly) occurs, I believe, where people are not exposed to other ideas, other people, other cultures and people end up in their own little ignorant bubbles.  I think that's why small towns tend to be a little more insular in nature.....they simply know what they see and it often isn't very good.

I do believe the south is a bit backwards in some respects-  I believe the entire bible belt is backwards because that kind of thinking tends to want to close minds, doesn't want to know more than what they want to believe and therefore knowledge, open minds, questioning and seeking is considered dangerous.

Just my take on it but I appreciated your perspective.  Curious....what would drive a white woman go to an all black school, especially at a time when such stuff must have been particularly difficult?  That had to have taken a certain amount of courage.

Quoting TommieToo:

OK folks, I am a proud born, bred and still living in the SOUTH white woman.  I would say some of my best friends are black, but they have all died (I am old you see.)  I did graduate Cum Laude from an all black (except for the 8 whites who enrolled the same year I did) University.

The South has its problems, but they came WITH the Carpetbaggers when the Civil (War Between the States) War ended and we have been too polite to kick them out.  Southern manners you know.  

Slavery was an awful thing and needed to be stopped, but the Civil War was not about that.  It was one of the products of that war and a good rallying cry for those hesitant to join.

I'm sorry we make such easy targets for this kind of denigration, but this WHOLE country has big problems.   In my view it really took hold when we "sold our souls to the company store".  Do you remember that?"  

Now instead of a Republic, we are becoming an Oligarchy.  The only thing that can turn that around is for YOU and all YOURS to get involved in the political process and make your voices heard over the quacks of the followers of the latest loud lie, who lie to us daily on this board, in the newspapers, on radio, and television.  

Be BRAVE, look around you - if you do that with an unbiased eye, you will begin to see you have been lied to and used horribly

group hug

TommieToo
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Addenda

.... about that flag - I honor it because of all my brave ancestors who fought and died under its flutter.  As I said earlier, that war was NOT REALLY about slavery and MOST of my ancestors did not own slaves.

love you sign

vic270
by Vic on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM

For some one to argue that she is not prejudiced, then you tell the world that you are prejudiced against all southerners. To the point of blaming them for your guilt when it comes to your moral issues. Wow you are just proving with your thread that you are what you have accused others of being all along.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM
I don't think a whole region of the country should be denigrated. All places have a wide variety of inhabitants.

Having said that, I disagree with your Civil War assessment. The overriding Constitutional issue was preservation of slavery, wrapped in the "states rights" bow.

And the Confederate flag is a divisive symbol that many see as standing for a place and time that supported humans enslaving other humans. On that basis it is not worthy of my respect.

Oh...and welcome to the forum!

Quoting TommieToo:

Addenda

.... about that flag - I honor it because of all my brave ancestors who fought and died under its flutter.  As I said earlier, that war was NOT REALLY about slavery and MOST of my ancestors did not own slaves.

love you sign

TommieToo
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

idduno asked:

"Curious....what would drive a white woman go to an all black school, especially at a time when such stuff must have been particularly difficult?  That had to have taken a certain amount of courage."

No courage needed except for the courage needed for a 40ish woman to put herself into a mix of 18 + year olds.  Believe it or not, they accepted me - not as best friends, but as classmates.  The black/white thing was NEVER a problem.

At the time it was an easy decision.  That was the only state university in my town (manageable tuition).  I had 2 school age children and started as a part time student to see whether my grey matter was up to the task.  After a summer semester and all  A's, I thought, hey this is doable!  I enrolled full time in the fall.surprised

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)