Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Malaysian Plane 'Shot Down With 295 On Board'

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Eds
  • 41 Replies

Malaysian Plane 'Shot Down With 295 On Board'

A Boeing 777 flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur comes down in Ukraine after reportedly being hit by a ground-to-air missile.

Ukraine plane crash

Video: Malaysian Airliner 'Shot Down'

Enlarge
A map showing Ukraine and Russia

Live Stream: Malaysian Passenger Plane Crashes In Ukraine

Enlarge

A passenger plane with 295 people on board has been shot down as it flew above eastern Ukraine, according to aviation sources.

The Malaysia Airlines plane, which was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was travelling at an altitude of 10km (6.2 miles) when it was shot down, Russia's Interfax reported.

The Boeing 777 was brought down by a Buk ground-to-air missile, an adviser to the Ukrainian interior ministry quoted by the news agency said.

A map showing Ukraine and Russia

The adviser said the 280 passengers and 15 crew members who were on the plane are all believed to have died.

Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk has ordered an immediate investigation into what he described as a "catastrophe", while his Malaysian counterpart Mohd Najib Tun Razak said he was "shocked".

A spokesman for Malaysian Airlines, still reeling from the loss of flight MH370 in March, confirmed it had lost contact with flight MH17, which departed from Amsterdam at 12.14pm local time.

The flight disappeared from radar as it flew over Ukrainian airspace, the spokesman said.

Sky's Katie Stallard, in Moscow, said media reports suggest the plane came down in the Donetsk region, where there has been recent heavy fighting amid continuing tensions between Russia and Ukraine.

Data from Flightradar24 suggests the plane had just passed the city of Kremenchuk, around 300km (186 miles) from the Russian border, when it disappeared.

Several videos apparently filmed in the area, none of which Sky News has been able to independently verify, show plumes of thick, black smoke rising high into the air.

A Reuters correspondent at the scene said he could see the wreckage of a burning aircraft and bodies on the ground.

Aviation expert Major Charles Hayman told Sky News: "It's highly likely this aircraft was flying along a fault line between Russian and Ukrainian defences.

"It’s possible the Ukrainians flapped a bit, thought it was hostile and shot it down.

"Perhaps it was confusion at the Ukrainian air defence centre.

"It looks like someone failed to recognise this was a civilian plane and shot it down."

A spokesman for Boeing said it was aware of reports of MH17's disappearance, while a Foreign Office official added: "We're urgently working to establish what has happened."

More follows...

VIDEO HERE: http://news.sky.com/story/1302864/malaysian-plane-shot-down-with-295-on-board

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Wasn't it just yesterdaythat Barack Hussein Obama layed down the law to Russia.

More blood directly on his hands.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Why was the passenger airliner flying through airspace that military planes have been shot down recently?

I hope the Ukrainian PM is just using this as propaganda and the plane really was not shot down. It just sickens me that the US no longer has clout in the world to make a difference. Very sad story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vic270
by Vic on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM

yes it was.

Quoting Billiejeens:

vic270
by Vic on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I was hoping that too, but the reporters are saying that there are dead bodies strew for miles, they say all 295 people are dead. I am sick over this to.

Quoting Analeigh2012: Why was the passenger airliner flying through airspace that military planes have been shot down recently? I hope the Ukrainian PM is just using this as propaganda and the plane really was not shot down. It just sickens me that the US no longer has clout in the world to make a difference. Very sad story.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM
5 moms liked this

Let's get the facts first before speculating on who did what.......

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Oh, I think thee is enough evidence the plane crashed which is tragic enough. I meant I hope the PM is not bring truthful about it being shot down.

Quoting vic270:

I was hoping that too, but the reporters are saying that there are dead bodies strew for miles, they say all 295 people are dead. I am sick over this to.

Quoting Analeigh2012: Why was the passenger airliner flying through airspace that military planes have been shot down recently? I hope the Ukrainian PM is just using this as propaganda and the plane really was not shot down. It just sickens me that the US no longer has clout in the world to make a difference. Very sad story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Your ability to make such a leap in a single bound is simply astounding.

Quoting Billiejeens:

You're welcome.

vic270
by Vic on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

They are reporting that America had surveillance in this area and they should have it on camera.So maybe  we won't have to rely on Malaysian reporters to get news.

Quoting Analeigh2012: Oh, I think thee is enough evidence the plane crashed which is tragic enough. I meant I hope the PM is not bring truthful about it being shot down.
Quoting vic270:

Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

First- there has been no confirmation this plane was shot down. This idea, right now, is pure speculation.

Second- It does make me wonder what happened to that First Malaysian plane?!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

More like my ability to comprehend and accept the evil that is Barack Obama.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if we shot it down ourselves to take the Invasion of Illegal Aliens out of the prime news spot.

That has been there longer than he allows most crisis to stay.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Your ability to make such a leap in a single bound is simply astounding.

Quoting Billiejeens:

You're welcome.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN