Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Liberals question Obama's reaction to immigration crisis

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

A media research firm is wondering whether cracks are forming in President Obama's support from the liberal media.

After President Obama’s recent trip to Texas, many have questioned his decision not to visit the U.S.-Mexico border and gain a firsthand witness of illegals entering the nation.

In recent days, traditionally left-leaning journalists like Andrea Mitchell, Jon Karl and MSNBC's Chuck Todd have clashed with the White House over illegal immigrant deportations.

Tim Graham, of the Media Research Center, says the issue has created a source of conflict among Obama’s supporters.

“I think what you’re seeing here is some nervousness over Obama’s tactics from his media base of support,” he says. “Some felt that it would have been a good show for him to go to the border and meet with these migrant children and see some of the conditions that they are in.”

Graham maintains the immigration challenges facing the nation could help the GOP.

“This is an issue that can energize the conservative base, and thus lead to a real turnout problem for the Democrats in the fall,” he says. “They were already nervous about losing a lot seats.”

Some commentators say President Obama revealed his priorities by attending a fundraiser rather than visiting the border.

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fireangel5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM

The media won't actually speak out against him until he does something that affects/offends the media themselves. 

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Republicans are more interested in optics than action.They sit on their thumbs and pass no immigration laws.Meanwhile pointing their remaining fingers at the president.

mjmorrison
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:20 AM
8 moms liked this

Why pass immigration laws when this president doesn't enforce the ones we already have?

Quoting MomTiara19:

Republicans are more interested in optics than action.They sit on their thumbs and pass no immigration laws.Meanwhile pointing their remaining fingers at the president.

Abaco
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this
This is beginning to wake some up. But then of course those that continue to be in love with him have got to be really STUPID.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:44 AM
He has deported many more than Bush. People need to calm down and quit losing their minds. Breathe.
I don't mean to pick on you specifically because I see it a lot but I think there is a larger disconnect lately between perception and reality at least in terms of immigration.
It's a perfect storm of Reefer Madness proportions and all of the elements are there. Crime, drugs, war, dark people, culture, language, styles and next thing ya know it's the Zoot suit riots all over again.
Except this time it might be worse because we're supposed to know better. Be more savvy. Less easily manipulated

Quoting mjmorrison:

Why pass immigration laws when this president doesn't enforce the ones we already have?

Quoting MomTiara19:

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM
5 moms liked this

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/march-13-2014/dhs-obama-administration-has-been-inflating-deportation-numbers.html

In a stunning admission before a House Committee panel on Tuesday, DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson admitted that the Obama Administration has been artificially inflating deportation numbers. While the administration has claimed a "record number" of deportations, earning Pres. Obama the nickname "Deporter in Chief", Johnson admitted that they have been counting border apprehensions that are turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers as deportations.

During a House Appropriations Committee hearing, Rep. John Culberson (R-Texas) said to Johnson, "Under the Obama administration, more than half of those removals that were attributed to ICE are actually a result of Border Patrol arrests that wouldn't have been counted in prior administrations."

Johnson responded, "Correct."

Jessica Vaughan, the Director of Policy Studies at the Center for Immigration Studies, has been arguing that actual deportations have declined under Pres. Obama. In her research, she says that if you count all removals, including those done by ICE and Border Patrol, then the Obama administration averages 800,000 removals per year. In comparison, George W. Bush would have removed more than 1.3 million illegal aliens per year, and Bill Clinton would have removed more than 1.5 million per year.

Quoting AdrianneHill: He has deported many more than Bush. People need to calm down and quit losing their minds. Breathe. I don't mean to pick on you specifically because I see it a lot but I think there is a larger disconnect lately between perception and reality at least in terms of immigration. It's a perfect storm of Reefer Madness proportions and all of the elements are there. Crime, drugs, war, dark people, culture, language, styles and next thing ya know it's the Zoot suit riots all over again. Except this time it might be worse because we're supposed to know better. Be more savvy. Less easily manipulated
Quoting mjmorrison:

Quoting MomTiara19:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Completely and totally false.

They are counting differently - they are counting everyone they simply turned around at the border.

It is well documented.

(ps. - Don't be racist)

Quoting AdrianneHill: He has deported many more than Bush.People need to calm down and quit losing their minds. Breathe. I don't mean to pick on you specifically because I see it a lot but I think there is a larger disconnect lately between perception and reality at least in terms of immigration. It's a perfect storm of Reefer Madness proportions and all of the elements are there. Crime, drugs, war, dark people, culture, language, styles and next thing ya know it's the Zoot suit riots all over again. Except this time it might be worse because we're supposed to know better. Be more savvy. Less easily manipulated
Quoting mjmorrison:

Quoting MomTiara19:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Didn't see yours.

Great info!

Quoting lylalane7275:

https://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/march-13-2014/dhs-obama-administration-has-been-inflating-deportation-numbers.html

In a stunning admission before a House Committee panel on Tuesday, DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson admitted that the Obama Administration has been artificially inflating deportation numbers. While the administration has claimed a "record number" of deportations, earning Pres. Obama the nickname "Deporter in Chief", Johnson admitted that they have been counting border apprehensions that are turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers as deportations.

During a House Appropriations Committee hearing, Rep. John Culberson (R-Texas) said to Johnson, "Under the Obama administration, more than half of those removals that were attributed to ICE are actually a result of Border Patrol arrests that wouldn't have been counted in prior administrations."

Jessica Vaughan, the Director of Policy Studies at the Center for Immigration Studies, has been arguing that actual deportations have declined under Pres. Obama. In her research, she says that if you count all removals, including those done by ICE and Border Patrol, then the Obama administration averages 800,000 removals per year. In comparison, George W. Bush would have removed more than 1.3 million illegal aliens per year, and Bill Clinton would have removed more than 1.5 million per year.

Quoting AdrianneHill: He has deported many more than Bush. People need to calm down and quit losing their minds. Breathe. I don't mean to pick on you specifically because I see it a lot but I think there is a larger disconnect lately between perception and reality at least in terms of immigration. It's a perfect storm of Reefer Madness proportions and all of the elements are there. Crime, drugs, war, dark people, culture, language, styles and next thing ya know it's the Zoot suit riots all over again. Except this time it might be worse because we're supposed to know better. Be more savvy. Less easily manipulated
Quoting mjmorrison:

Quoting MomTiara19:

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Someone is feeding the libs false information.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Didn't see yours.

Great info!

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting mjmorrison:

Quoting MomTiara19:

AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Not when you're there to be racist for me. Of course it's totally different than the other times Latino immigrants were targeted as a burden to wartime America. I mean this time they've got the Ebola.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Completely and totally false.

They are counting differently - they are counting everyone they simply turned around at the border.

It is well documented.

(ps. - Don't be racist)

Quoting AdrianneHill: He has deported many more than Bush.People need to calm down and quit losing their minds. Breathe. I don't mean to pick on you specifically because I see it a lot but I think there is a larger disconnect lately between perception and reality at least in terms of immigration. It's a perfect storm of Reefer Madness proportions and all of the elements are there. Crime, drugs, war, dark people, culture, language, styles and next thing ya know it's the Zoot suit riots all over again. Except this time it might be worse because we're supposed to know better. Be more savvy. Less easily manipulated
Quoting mjmorrison:

Quoting MomTiara19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)