Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

"IRS scam" didn't fool this Canton woman.... she called police and put the caller on speaker

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

Video  http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wayne-county/scammer-tries-to-trick-canton-woman-using-the-police-departments-phone-number

CANTON, Mich. (WXYZ) - We want to tell you about a fake cop scam that nearly cost a local woman thousands of dollars.

This one is so real you could get fooled by this clever crook.

It all starts out with you being told you owe some money because you owe on your taxes, but then comes the threat.

Mira Al-Mahayni says that is what saved her from getting scammed out of more than $2,000 last Tuesday. That's when she got a call from a man claiming to be a lawyer representing the IRS.

“He says, ‘Well, I’m calling from crime investigation department and we did an audit on your taxes, and it turns out that you have defaulted on your taxes,’” Al-Mayani says. “And he said, ‘Well, we’ve done an audit for the past five years, from 2007 to 2013, and it turns out you owe the government money.’”

But this Canton mother of two says something was off, so she started taking notes and asking more questions.

“And he says, ‘Well, if you don't pay this money off, a police officer will be at your door within the next 30-40 minutes to arrest you,’” she says. “And I said ‘To arrest me? How do I know this is not a scam?’ He said ‘I will have your Canton Police deputy call you up and you'll see that the number is local coming from your city.”

She said the man even said it will be Canton Deputy Police Chief Scott Hilden who would be calling.

Al-Mahayni used her other phone to call Canton Police herself and told the dispatcher she thought she was being scammed. And then?

“My phone home phone rings, and I look at my caller ID and on the caller ID it displays the actual Canton Police Department number that I had just dialed, right now, on my cell phone” Al-Mahayni says.

The man on the other line claimed to be the Deputy Chief Hilden. But when the dispatcher heard his voice on speaker phone, Al-Mahayni’s suspicions were confirmed.

“As soon as she heard his voice, she said, ‘This is not the voice of Scott Hilden. You are not Scott Hilden,’” Al-Mahayni says. “As soon as he heard that he hung up.”

And just like that, that scammer went away.

So now the real cops at the Canton Police Department are trying to get to the bottom of this. They really want to figure out how this scammer was able to get the Canton Police Department's phone number to show up on caller ID.

Certainly a lot of tricks out there, but this is one they haven't heard of lately in Canton.

Al-Mahayni really wants to thank the dispatcher for working with her over the phone and confirming her suspicions. Al-Mahayni also says she's glad she kept asking questions and trusted her intuition.

"You don't just accept what people are telling you. You keep asking questions," she says.

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:08 PM
3 moms liked this

This happened to me last year.  Almost word for word the same thing.  I told the guy he was full of shit and hung up.  He called back and I told him the IRS doesn't call people, they send you a letter, then told him I was calling the police myself, immediately.  He never called me back.

I called my accountant just to make sure some mistake wasn't made, and she said that in the last few days they had rec'd calls from several of their clients with this same complaint.

That was very smart of this woman.  Sadly though, I imagine these con-artists screw a lot of people out of their hard earned dollars....especially the elderly.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, the IRS does not call.  They send letters.   

momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Common and old scam that uses the IRS or any other agency and spoofed called IDs.

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
They say they are the IRS, and they call her on the PHONE, and they tell her that if she doesn't pay that INSTANT, within 30-40 minutes, LOCAL POLICE will be at her door, and yet she has to call the police to figure out if this is a scam.

I'm glad she did, and I'm glad she didn't get taken advantage of, but this is not a very bright woman.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemum41
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM
True.
I never answer calls unless I know who the caller is. If it's "unknown caller" or "out of area". Or888 , the prefixes that indicate a telemarketer I don't answer. I block any numbers that call too often.

Quoting shannonnigans: They say they are the IRS, and they call her on the PHONE, and they tell her that if she doesn't pay that INSTANT, within 30-40 minutes, LOCAL POLICE will be at her door, and yet she has to call the police to figure out if this is a scam. I'm glad she did, and I'm glad she didn't get taken advantage of, but this is not a very bright woman.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

She was very smart. I would not have fallen for it at first myself having had issues with the IRS and they never called me although they did like you said and mailed me several letters and forms going back to 2010 till just recently. Mostly because I was a victim to thousands of dollars of ID theft in which I just also found out last week I own a Time Share I knew nothing about and have owned it since 2011 lol and my EX husband filing me against my permission and also filing for myself the same year. So yes being that they have never called me I would have been suspicious.

What might have made me think twice was the same police department number she called to report it showing up on my caller ID. Knowing me even if that might make me wondered I would not care enough to be bothered with it any ways even if by chance it was real and therefore due to lack of interest in dealing with them the scammer would not get anywhere with me. I can see where some people who have never had any personal dealings with the IRS might be fooled by the whole phone number thing.

I had a similar situation about 17 years ago. Someone came to my door claiming to be from Consumers Energy and said I was $800.00 behind my gas bill and if I didn't pay him right then and there he was turning off my gas. I have never been behind on a bill in my life so I knew it was a scam especially when there was no company truck even though he had a form that looked like actual proof from the Consumers Energy. I told him he has to come back when my husband is home. He said since he could see I was pregnant he felt too "sorry for me" and would not shut my gas off like he was sent to and would come back and see my husband lol. Of course he never returned.

Quoting grandmab125:

This happened to me last year.  Almost word for word the same thing.  I told the guy he was full of shit and hung up.  He called back and I told him the IRS doesn't call people, they send you a letter, then told him I was calling the police myself, immediately.  He never called me back.

I called my accountant just to make sure some mistake wasn't made, and she said that in the last few days they had rec'd calls from several of their clients with this same complaint.

That was very smart of this woman.  Sadly though, I imagine these con-artists screw a lot of people out of their hard earned dollars....especially the elderly.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Quoting littlemum41: True. I never answer calls unless I know who the caller is. If it's "unknown caller" or "out of area". Or888 , the prefixes that indicate a telemarketer I don't answer. I block any numbers that call too often.
Quoting shannonnigans: They say they are the IRS, and they call her on the PHONE, and they tell her that if she doesn't pay that INSTANT, within 30-40 minutes, LOCAL POLICE will be at her door, and yet she has to call the police to figure out if this is a scam. I'm glad she did, and I'm glad she didn't get taken advantage of, but this is not a very bright woman.

Me either, if I don't see the name I have stored in my phone I do not answer. Especially now. The phone number I have had for 4 months now is associated with some idiot named Kevins Face Book account an he has it set to get text notifications for all activity on his page. I get these stupid text all day and night. I have had about 20 already just since early this morning.

I also get many text from who I assume are friends wondering where he is so long. I am thinking maybe this Kevin guy is dead or something and that is why his friends call and text my phone and 4 months later it is still associated with his Face Book. I'm about to log in with his (now mine) phone number and write on his status for his damn friends to stop calling me and for him to remove his phone number... if he is not dead or something. 

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I got the impression she called to report the scam. Apparently allot of this type of thing has increased in our local areas and there are allot of alerts on local news and what not that it's happening more often and for people to be careful and to report anything.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Actually, she was the first one who called the police dispatcher and was on the phone with them, when the scam call came from the police station's "number." The dispatcher heard the voice from the phone on speaker and knew it was not the Chief.  

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I keep getting credit card companies calling me, telling me they can lower my rate, and the caller ID now shows up local numbers.  I've called the numbers back, it's always a local landline.  Last time, it was my own number.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)