Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Texas State Senator: 100,000 Illegal Immigrant Gang Members in State

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hours before Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced he would send National Guard troops to the border, Texas state Senator Dan Patrick said there are at least 100,000 illegal immigrant gang members in the state. 

On Monday's The Laura Ingraham Show, Patrick, who is also the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, said from 2008 to 2012, 143,000 illegal immigrant criminals were arrested and jailed in Texas. He said these were "hardened criminals, gang members, and other criminals that we identified as being in Texas illegally." 

"We charged them with 447,000 crimes, a half-million crimes in four years, just in Texas, including over 5,000 rapes and 2,000 murders," Patrick said. "We estimate we have 100,000 gang members here illegally."

Patrick also observed during his trips to the border and detention centers that many of the "young children" are teenagers and with parents and family members. He said there is a concern that some are "gang members" and that potential terrorists can exploit the porous border. 

In addition to the public safety threat, Patrick also discussed the strain on local schools and other public resources and accused the Obama administration of luring more illegal immigrants to the country after unilaterally enacting the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. He also accused the Obama administration of "sweeping human beings under the rug" by putting illegal immigrants on buses to cities across America and releasing children to adults who may not be their family members. Patrick also said Border Patrol agents have found "hundreds and hundreds of dead bodies on our side of the border" as more migrants try to trek to the United States hoping to get amnesty from Obama. 

Noting that 60,000 illegal immigrant children have been apprehended since October of last year, Patrick said that law enforcement officials told him that somewhere between one in five and one in 10 illegal immigrants are actually caught, which means there could be at least five times as many illegal immigrants who have snuck into the state. 

"You do the math," Patrick said.

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM
4 moms liked this

That's it.

We're done for folks.

Perry should do it, of course. But when all men  ( beyond the 1K) ,who want to help with the effort begin gathering on the border as Obama tries to usher more illegals in, it's the beginning of a war inside this country.

Send each and every illegal, women and children included, back home.

BTW, are Dumbocrats humiliated yet?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

That's it.

We're done for folks.

Perry should do it, of course. But when all men  ( beyond the 1K) ,who want to help with the effort begin gathering on the border as Obama tries to usher more illegals in, it's the beginning of a war inside this country.

Send each and every illegal, women and children included, back home.

BTW, are Dumbocrats humiliated yet?

Sadly, I will say - no they are not.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

"We charged them with 447,000 crimes, a half-million crimes in four years, just in Texas, including over 5,000 rapes and 2,000 murders," Patrick said. "We estimate we have 100,000 gang members here illegally."

It has become the wild west, many people no longer venture out at night alone.  You can't throw a rock without hitting someone that has been in a hit and run with an illegal here, and guess who's insurance goes up, not theirs, because they don't have any.

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I knew something sounded fishy about his numbers.  Having studied rape statistics in the past, this just seemed wrong.  5,000 illegal immigrants charged with rape in a four year period.  OK.  No better source than the Uniform Crime Report, which Texas adopted in 1976, and as concerns Texas is administered by the Texas Department of Public Safety.  Here is their website. 

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/pages/crimestatistics.htm

In 2009, there were approximately 2,000 arrests for rape.  In 2010, that number went down to approximately 1,900.  In 2011, it went down to 1,700, and in 2012 it was approximately 1,800.  That's 7,400 arrests for rape total.  Of those 7,400, the breakdown between hispanic and non-hispanic has consistently hovered right at about 40%, 40% being hispanic.  That would mean that in that four year period, the number of arrests of hispanics could not have totaled more than 2,960.  Far less than 5,000, but beyond that, that would presuppose that every one of those 2,960 were illegals.  That is patently absurd.  So the number would go down again.  And, Patrick was quite specific in talking about charges.  Not every arrest results in a charge, especially with regard to rape.  Those numbers go down again.

I get that immigration is a problem, but this is not laziness - the source is his own state agency.  Nor is it manipulation.  It's just out and out lying.

MeAndTommyLee
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Who in the hell can feign surprise or defend this?! Can we look at the prison population please.
lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Oh well then I feel much better.  Instead of 5000, it's 3000. 

Quoting shannonnigans:

I knew something sounded fishy about his numbers.  Having studied rape statistics in the past, this just seemed wrong.  5,000 illegal immigrants charged with rape in a four year period.  OK.  No better source than the Uniform Crime Report, which Texas adopted in 1976, and as concerns Texas is administered by the Texas Department of Public Safety.  Here is their website. 

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/pages/crimestatistics.htm

In 2009, there were approximately 2,000 arrests for rape.  In 2010, that number went down to approximately 1,900.  In 2011, it went down to 1,700, and in 2012 it was approximately 1,800.  That's 7,400 arrests for rape total.  Of those 7,400, the breakdown between hispanic and non-hispanic has consistently hovered right at about 40%, 40% being hispanic.  That would mean that in that four year period, the number of arrests of hispanics could not have totaled more than 2,960.  Far less than 5,000, but beyond that, that would presuppose that every one of those 2,960 were illegals.  That is patently absurd.  So the number would go down again.  And, Patrick was quite specific in talking about charges.  Not every arrest results in a charge, especially with regard to rape.  Those numbers go down again.

I get that immigration is a problem, but this is not laziness - the source is his own state agency.  Nor is it manipulation.  It's just out and out lying.

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 12:18 PM

No, it's not.  Go back and read.  It could only be 3,000 if every single Hispanic rapist had also been an illegal immigrant.  Actually to use his words, not just an illegal immigrant, but an illegal immigrant gang member.  That is just patently absurd.  You also ignore that these are merely arrests.  He specifically said 5,000 were charged.  But especially with regard to rape, arrests do not equal charges.   So his numbers aren't just off, they are completely falsified.  Made up.   

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting shannonnigans:

TappyToes
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:04 PM

""We charged them with 447,000 crimes, a half-million crimes in four years, just in Texas, including over 5,000 rapes and 2,000 murders," Patrick said. "We estimate we have 100,000 gang members here illegally."

Since you had them in custody, tried and prosecuted, what did you do with them???

confused

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Okay, Here's what I found:

2012:  730 forcible rapes + 1447 sexual assaults = 2177

2011:  761 FR + 1559 SA = 2320

2010:  805 FR + 1675 SA = 2480

2009:  834 FR + 1578 SA = 2412

2008:  852 FR + 1669 SA = 2521

Total Forcible Rapes and other Sexual Assaults by Hispanics = 11,910

I was looking at the section of the reports specific to Hispanic vs. Non-Hispanic, not overall arrests, so these numbers would be more in line with what Patrick said, i think.  There is nothing in the reports that specifies illegal vs. legal residents.  

I guess we'd have to look at counties where illegals tend to congregate in order to narrow it down anymore, but I don't think it's unrealistic to assume, given the number of illegals in our state, that around 1/2 of the rapes in the state are committed by illegals.

Apparently Texas' definitions for rape and sexual assault differ from the Federal definitions, so if you look at the docs for Sexual Assault in Texas vs. Federal UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting), the numbers are far different.

2012 = 17,835

2011 = 18,088

2010 = 19,007

No data broken out for 2008 and 2009.  And these numbers also don't break out Hispanic vs. Non-Hispanic. 

Quoting shannonnigans:

No, it's not.  Go back and read.  It could only be 3,000 if every single Hispanic rapist had also been an illegal immigrant.  Actually to use his words, not just an illegal immigrant, but an illegal immigrant gang member.  That is just patently absurd.  You also ignore that these are merely arrests.  He specifically said 5,000 were charged.  But especially with regard to rape, arrests do not equal charges.   So his numbers aren't just off, they are completely falsified.  Made up.   

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting shannonnigans:

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Unless you have something to the contrary, and I'll be happy to look at it if you do, these aren't charges, these aren't even arrests. He says there were 5,000 illegal aliens charged with rape. Let's stick to what he said. If he's right, so be it.

Quoting lylalane7275:

Okay, Here's what I found:

2012:  730 forcible rapes + 1447 sexual assaults = 2177

2011:  761 FR + 1559 SA = 2320

2010:  805 FR + 1675 SA = 2480

2009:  834 FR + 1578 SA = 2412

2008:  852 FR + 1669 SA = 2521

Total Forcible Rapes and other Sexual Assaults by Hispanics = 11,910

I
was looking at the section of the reports specific to Hispanic vs.
Non-Hispanic, not overall arrests, so these numbers would be more in
line with what Patrick said, i think.  There is nothing in the reports
that specifies illegal vs. legal residents.  

I guess we'd have to
look at counties where illegals tend to congregate in order to narrow
it down anymore, but I don't think it's unrealistic to assume, given the
number of illegals in our state, that around 1/2 of the rapes in the
state are committed by illegals.

Apparently Texas' definitions for rape and sexual assault differ from
the Federal definitions, so if you look at the docs for Sexual Assault
in Texas vs. Federal UCR (Uniform Crime Reporting), the numbers are far
different.

2012 = 17,835

2011 = 18,088

2010 = 19,007

No data broken out for 2008 and 2009.  And these numbers also don't break out Hispanic vs. Non-Hispanic. 

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting lylalane7275:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN