Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why young people, specifically, are rejecting religion.

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

The decline in religiosity is especially telling. When one considers how theistic beliefs typically are passed down from generation to generation, the fact that so many are now opting to break this cycle indicates monumental change.

How will this play out for our society during the years ahead?

In politics, it might result in diminishing returns for the the conservative movement. This could potentially cause a seismic shift in our country’s right-wing sphere, and allow for fiscal and national security issues to overtake social ones.

On a broader scale, less religion may cause various charities and social welfare organizations to secularize. It might also spark an interest in non-theistic philosophy; classical and contemporary alike. Perhaps instead of a church on every corner, the future will boast neighborhood intellectual salons.

But I mostly want to post this so I can include my dad’s reaction:

There are several reasons for this. The politicization of religion is one of the big reasons, starting when fundamentalist religion got married to the Republican party back in the halcyon days of Robertson/Falwell. Worked very well for them for quite some time but now is jumping up to bite them. Bottom line, many of the younger generation despise right wing politics, and losing them politically has resulted in also losing them religiously.

Gay rights is another big item. In today’s world, most younger people are personally acquainted with gay people, and know darned good and well there isn’t any “gay agenda”, that gays are zero threat to the country, that homosexuality isn’t a “choice”, and that allowing them civil marriage or to die for their country in the military hurts no one. Denying CIVIL MARRIAGE to gay people is nothing but institutionalized bigotry, and the youth of today recognize institutionalized bigotry as evil.

Another reason is the anti-intellectualism of fundamentalist religion. The assault on science by the Christian right has played out and the Christian right has lost. Too many people understand that every bit of progress in the real world has been based on science and knowledge, not on faith. Evolution is evidence supported fact. The modernity of the 21st century is here despite those who want to drag it back to the Dark Ages when the church and the government were one.

Another big reason for the exodus from religion is misogyny. Large numbers of women have decided they don’t want to be subservient second class citizens or congregation members where they shall not raise their voice nor instruct a male. Many women are fed up with the prevalent religion based patriarchal male dominated culture in the US, and feel that the only way to claim their equality is outside of religion.

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2014/07/father-on-why-young-people-specifically-are-rejecting-religion/#ixzz38K3eru9x

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM

He’s 100% correct.

WildPowerMom
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM

As a Christian it is sad how it has all been twisted and abused.  As a younger person I understand why so many my age are not seeking The Faith

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

This is my take on it-  and for the record, I was raised Catholic and currently a non religious agnostic, Jesus loving although I don't think he was the son of God,spiritual type:

I think only some Christians have twisted, perverted and abused Christianity as well as made the mistake of thinking that their interpretation of the bible is to be taken literally and is the word of God.  The same ones who say beliefs, specifically their beliefs, trump actions.  The ones who believe in their misguided interpretations of prophecy and therefore only see world events through a prism of a delusional belief set.  The ones who think they KNOW when they know nothing.

I think some Christians, those who understand that compassion, empathy and love are at the heart of Jesus's message, a message I think can literally save us from ourselves have it absolutely right.  Even if I don't agree with all of their beliefs, I know they are headed on the right path, the others are on a dark, dangerous path that leads to nowhere good. 

Many Christians I know have no sense of self righteousness or an insistence that they have it right because they know God's word, a vengeful self absorbed God who will condemn you to eternal torment because you didn't believe correctly, even if you were an awesome person.  They just know that they seek and feel a connection to God, feel love and joy, abhor violence and suffering and want to help those in need.  I think that is only good.   Even if I don't necessarily believe in much of what they believe, its still the way to go.

Quoting WildPowerMom:

As a Christian it is sad how it has all been twisted and abused.  As a younger person I understand why so many my age are not seeking The Faith

TappyToes
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Dad knows whereof he speaks!  

I am a Christian but I will not participate in what organized Christianity has become today.

tsk tsk

Sister_Someone
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM

While my personal reason for rejecting religion is simply that the notion of an intelligent creator makes no sense to me, not to mention that all currently available evidence seems to be pointing away from it rather than towards it, I agree with your dad's points on a general scale. For how benevolent every single religious person on Earth claims their religion of choice to be, there sure are plenty of fucked up things happening in the name of some religion or other.

Jambo4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I ended up just smiling by the time I finished the article.  It's so "narrow minded" on the religious aspect of things.  I'm sorry but as a devout Christian (Mormon to be exact), I wouldn't even recognize "myself" by the way it was described. lol

Oh.. on a side  note hardly related at all... my 19 year old son just defied the odds of this article and left on a 2 year mission for our church!  angel mini  I am feeling all sorts of feelings. =)

LDS Amber

Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Quoting Sister_Someone:

While my personal reason for rejecting religion is simply that the notion of an intelligent creator makes no sense to me, not to mention that all currently available evidence seems to be pointing away from it rather than towards it, I agree with your dad's points on a general scale. For how benevolent every single religious person on Earth claims their religion of choice to be, there sure are plenty of fucked up things happening in the name of some religion or other.

Where we are today, an unintelligent creator might actually make more sense.
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Just as plausible as those who can't imagine otherwise, who think God knows each and every thought of every being it has created in the Universe, has an intimate connection to each one of its creations.....yet watches us do the cruelest most horrific things to each other, watches us destroy everything with our abuse and hate and sense of self serving entitlement without interference, other than manmade words which gave rise to religions and yet another excuse to hate on each other, only this time in the name of God. 

If there is a Creator, I see a lot of evidence for it being uninvolved, if not downright daft.

Quoting Billiejeens:
Quoting Sister_Someone:

Where we are today, an unintelligent creator might actually make more sense.

Abaco
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately a ot of churches have merely turned into club meetings and stopped preaching the word of God. Its the hipocracy the youth sees.  Ita so awesome to see youth at things like pro-life rallys rather than the kill em rallys.  

Abaco
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

its more like im okay youre okay......when its really not okay

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)