Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2 Hours Gasping for Air....Should the Death Penalty be Abolished?

Posted by   + Show Post

Arizona Execution of Joseph Wood Took Nearly Two Hours

The execution of Joseph Wood — which Arizona carried out with a lethal-injection it had never before tried — is certain to fan the debate over how U.S. states carry out the death penalty.

Midway through the execution, defense attorneys asked a judge to stop the execution of Joseph Wood and order prison officials to try to resuscitate him. But before the court acted, he was pronounced dead.

"The execution commenced at 1:52 p.m. at the Arizona State Prison Complex (ASPC) - Florence. He was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m," a statement Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne said.

The statement did not say what problems the execution team had encountered, but Wood's lawyers painted a macabre picture.

"He has been gasping and snorting for more than an hour," lawyers wrote in their request for an emergency stay of execution.

Image: Joseph Rudolph WoodARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS VIA AP FILE
Inmate Joseph Rudolph Wood.

Wood — who was condemned to die for fatally shooting his girlfriend and her father in 1989 — had challenged the execution on the grounds that the state was violating the First Amendment by keeping the source of the lethal-injection drugs secret.

An appeals panel agreed with him, but the U.S. Supreme Court lifted the stay of execution. The Arizona Supreme Court briefly delayed the execution on Wednesday morning, but ultimately gave the state the green light.

Wood, 55, was scheduled to be killed with a combination of midazolam and hydromorphone, the same drugs used in an Ohio execution in which the inmate seemed to struggle for air and took 25 minutes to die.

His execution date had been put on hold several times as the case wound its way through last-minute appeals. One of those decisions was notable for a dissent in which the chief judge of a federal appeals court said the guillotine would be better than lethal injection for executions.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM

OMG..I can't get the visual of beheadings after watching The Tudors.  Traumatic, but quick.   

Quoting Schauseil: I agree, or be heading.
Quoting Jambo4:

I say go back to firing squad, or hanging.  Less expense, less time.

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM

If someone I loved was brutally murdered,  I can't help wonder if a slow death like these are, now that NO ONE will sell the US the drugs they used to use.  Maybe even a slow death, would appear too kind to loved ones left behind, compared to the horror these killer inflicted on their victims.  But there are times, when a killer has maintained his/her innocence.  

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Yes, the eye for an eye theory.  That judge claimed that the drugs that used to be used in these executions were quicker, more efficient, but harsh and barbaric, but no one will sell them to the US any longer.  The other thing is, how do the victims families and loved ones react to a slow death execution?  Are they being traumatized further?  I can't even imagine witnessing it.  I suppose only someone who has gone through this could give us their prospective. 

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

No.  The death penalty was made for people like this sicko who killed his ex and her father.  I think drugs are the best way but the right drugs need to be used.  Ideally we do not torture the victim be cause we are not evil like he is.

mommy2adandykid
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

nope, as i posted in the other post about this, the FAMILY of the victims were perfectly fine with him suffering and he deserved it.  he's been alive for the last (almost) 30 years since he murdered those people and now people feel bad for him cause he had to suffer a little longer?  too bad, so sad.  hope he enjoys burning. 

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I didn't see that they had asked for the opinions of those present.  See, I think I would feel the same way, but you don't really know till you've been through it.  Thanks!!  And yes..he was able to live another 30 years...so unfair.  I sometimes wish we had the death penalty up here.  We have a murderess that got off because of a deal made with prosecuters, and now she is living in the Carribean, and has had children.  The 3 girls she had a hand in torturing and murdering never lived past the age of 15.   

Quoting mommy2adandykid:

nope, as i posted in the other post about this, the FAMILY of the victims were perfectly fine with him suffering and he deserved it.  he's been alive for the last (almost) 30 years since he murdered those people and now people feel bad for him cause he had to suffer a little longer?  too bad, so sad.  hope he enjoys burning. 

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I wonder how the victims family felt about this so called "suffering" death?

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I wondered too, but this person says they were ok with it.

by  on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Quoting erika9009:

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

It's settled then.  The victims family is fine with the 2 hrs and he is dead.

End of story.

Can we talk about bras and panties now?  I want something new

Quoting Del672:

Quoting erika9009:

Erika..

The best things in life are not things.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

lol... now I am noticing that my bra is pinching me.  Thanks

Quoting erika9009:

End of story.

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Well..ok....Victoria Secret?  or Walmart brand?   

Quoting erika9009:

It's settled then.  The victims family is fine with the 2 hrs and he is dead.

End of story.

Quoting Del672:

Quoting erika9009:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN