Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2 Hours Gasping for Air....Should the Death Penalty be Abolished?

Posted by   + Show Post

Arizona Execution of Joseph Wood Took Nearly Two Hours

The execution of Joseph Wood — which Arizona carried out with a lethal-injection it had never before tried — is certain to fan the debate over how U.S. states carry out the death penalty.

Midway through the execution, defense attorneys asked a judge to stop the execution of Joseph Wood and order prison officials to try to resuscitate him. But before the court acted, he was pronounced dead.

"The execution commenced at 1:52 p.m. at the Arizona State Prison Complex (ASPC) - Florence. He was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m," a statement Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne said.

The statement did not say what problems the execution team had encountered, but Wood's lawyers painted a macabre picture.

"He has been gasping and snorting for more than an hour," lawyers wrote in their request for an emergency stay of execution.

Image: Joseph Rudolph WoodARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS VIA AP FILE
Inmate Joseph Rudolph Wood.

Wood — who was condemned to die for fatally shooting his girlfriend and her father in 1989 — had challenged the execution on the grounds that the state was violating the First Amendment by keeping the source of the lethal-injection drugs secret.

An appeals panel agreed with him, but the U.S. Supreme Court lifted the stay of execution. The Arizona Supreme Court briefly delayed the execution on Wednesday morning, but ultimately gave the state the green light.

Wood, 55, was scheduled to be killed with a combination of midazolam and hydromorphone, the same drugs used in an Ohio execution in which the inmate seemed to struggle for air and took 25 minutes to die.

His execution date had been put on hold several times as the case wound its way through last-minute appeals. One of those decisions was notable for a dissent in which the chief judge of a federal appeals court said the guillotine would be better than lethal injection for executions.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Me too..can't afford Victoria Secret...but I can afford Lacenza!!  Do you have them in the US?

Quoting Jambo4:

lol... now I am noticing that my bra is pinching me.  Thanks

Quoting erika9009:

End of story.

Can we talk about bras and panties now?  I want something new

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I have no idea.  If it's not sold at Target, I'm at a loss. ;) lol  I am the least fashion/name brand aware female on the planet. 

Quoting Del672:

Me too..can't afford Victoria Secret...but I can afford Lacenza!!  Do you have them in the US?

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting erika9009:

End of story.

Lilfranks
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
No I think he deserved to suffer. It makes me laugh when the say it should be humane please. It's the death penalty. Bring back the chair hangings firing squad guillotine bring it all back
specialwingz
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Why should a murderer die a more humane death than their victim(s)?

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM

We have a Target here in Canada now too.  I shopped there for the very first time Today.  No more Walmart for me unless it's for some groceries.   I don't like Walmart's clothing..it's horrible quality.  Target seems pretty decent after Walmart..lol

Quoting Jambo4:

I have no idea.  If it's not sold at Target, I'm at a loss. ;) lol  I am the least fashion/name brand aware female on the planet. 

Quoting Del672:

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting erika9009:

End of story.

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Yes, some of these killers are so sadistic, it's hard to even comprehend what one human can do to another.  If I was witnessing an execution of someone who murdered someone that I knew, loved, or whatever, I just don't see myself feeling bad for their death at all...no matter the suffering.  Sounds cold and harsh, but it's the life they chose.

Quoting Lilfranks: No I think he deserved to suffer. It makes me laugh when the say it should be humane please. It's the death penalty. Bring back the chair hangings firing squad guillotine bring it all back

Jenniy
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Just my thoughts, if he didn't want to be put to death then maybe, just MAYBE he shouldn't have killed two people...  He might have suffered.... AND?! What about the people he killed, did they die quickly and peacefully?

Schauseil
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Only traumatic for ppl watching. It happens so fast the person doesn't feel a thing.

Quoting Del672:

OMG..I can't get the visual of beheadings after watching The Tudors.  Traumatic, but quick.   

Quoting Schauseil: I agree, or be heading.

Quoting Jambo4:

I say go back to firing squad, or hanging.  Less expense, less time.

Del672
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Exactly, but I wonder if it would go over well in these times?  Pretty awful, whether you witness it or not.  Econonically, probably very cost efficient, as opposed to drugs.  Maybe more effective in preventing violent crimes.   

Quoting Schauseil: Only traumatic for ppl watching. It happens so fast the person doesn't feel a thing.
Quoting Del672:

OMG..I can't get the visual of beheadings after watching The Tudors.  Traumatic, but quick.   

Quoting Schauseil: I agree, or be heading.
Quoting Jambo4:

I say go back to firing squad, or hanging.  Less expense, less time.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

It sucks to see so many here who think vengeance is okay.  If the death penalty is about deterrence it fails miserably because people who are bent a certain way don't care.  If its about punishment, death is often preferable to life in prison.  If the only purpose is vengeance, that's not something that should be public policy.

Killers are obviously broken people, for whatever reason.  It is the job of the justice system to attempt to deter (by the time the killing is done, that has obviously failed) and to keep citizens safe from those too dangerous to be mixed in the general population.  Wanting someone to suffer because of the horrible things they do is understandable if you know someone who was killed by such a person but that doesn't mean it should be a part of public policy, that we should all be glad if someone happens to suffer because they "deserve" it.  I hope none of you who expressed such shit call yourselves Christian.  Regardless, vengeance as a motive to kill people is not something that should be a part of a "civilized" society.

Our justice system is so skewed against the poor and is so highly flawed that it should definitely make us think twice about what we are doing and why we are doing it. 

This is the company we keep:

Countries with the Most Confirmed Executions in 2013
1. China (1,000s *see above) 4. Saudi Arabia (79+)
2. Iran (369+) 5. United States (39)
3. Iraq (169+) 6. Somalia (34+)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN