Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2 Hours Gasping for Air....Should the Death Penalty be Abolished?

Posted by   + Show Post

Arizona Execution of Joseph Wood Took Nearly Two Hours

The execution of Joseph Wood — which Arizona carried out with a lethal-injection it had never before tried — is certain to fan the debate over how U.S. states carry out the death penalty.

Midway through the execution, defense attorneys asked a judge to stop the execution of Joseph Wood and order prison officials to try to resuscitate him. But before the court acted, he was pronounced dead.

"The execution commenced at 1:52 p.m. at the Arizona State Prison Complex (ASPC) - Florence. He was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m," a statement Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne said.

The statement did not say what problems the execution team had encountered, but Wood's lawyers painted a macabre picture.

"He has been gasping and snorting for more than an hour," lawyers wrote in their request for an emergency stay of execution.

Image: Joseph Rudolph WoodARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS VIA AP FILE
Inmate Joseph Rudolph Wood.

Wood — who was condemned to die for fatally shooting his girlfriend and her father in 1989 — had challenged the execution on the grounds that the state was violating the First Amendment by keeping the source of the lethal-injection drugs secret.

An appeals panel agreed with him, but the U.S. Supreme Court lifted the stay of execution. The Arizona Supreme Court briefly delayed the execution on Wednesday morning, but ultimately gave the state the green light.

Wood, 55, was scheduled to be killed with a combination of midazolam and hydromorphone, the same drugs used in an Ohio execution in which the inmate seemed to struggle for air and took 25 minutes to die.

His execution date had been put on hold several times as the case wound its way through last-minute appeals. One of those decisions was notable for a dissent in which the chief judge of a federal appeals court said the guillotine would be better than lethal injection for executions.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Replies (51-60):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't either. I don't like to put myself on par with the worst of our society.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I do not support the death penalty.

To think that I did makes my stomach turn.

FromAtoZ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove: I don't either. I don't like to put myself on par with the worst of our society.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

I do not support the death penalty.

To think that I did makes my stomach turn.

Exactly.  

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

People and society's definitions of "cruel" or "unusual" seem to vary.

Quoting autodidact:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Erika..

The best things in life are not things.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM

depending on the object? 

a good way to measure it might be: what if we're wrong? how much pain and suffereing are we willing to inflict knowing our court system is fallible? 

Quoting erika9009:

People and society's defintitions of "cruel" or "unusual" seem to vary.

Quoting autodidact:

FromAtoZ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting erika9009:

People and society's defintitions of "cruel" or "unusual" seem to vary.

Quoting autodidact:

This is very true.

People seem to be so gung ho on the killing of another human being, of course they say this is because that human being is vile and evil and so on.  Yet, many do not see themselves on the same level.  What they consider cruel and unusual only applies to them and not others.  People deserve that cruel and unusual punishment.  

Seems to be a merry go round that my soul jumped off of years ago.  

bootielou
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

How long did his victims take to die?  No sympathy here.  Some crimes and criminals deserve the death sentence.  A nine month old baby was raped and murdered here.  I could personally shoot the guy in his privates and watch him bleed to death.  He is expected to get 40 years.  I would give him a choice between forever or death.

Suexoxo09
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM
No. He obviously got the death penalty for killing someone. Why allow people to get away with murder?
Del672
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM

The latest news is the US is being pressured to put a halt on lethal injections for now.  There are hints about hanging, and the chair, and gassing being implemented for now. These perpetrators did terrible, horrible things to innocent people, but overseas, they completely disagree, and that's why they stopped shipping the original cocktail that was once used.   

Quoting Suexoxo09: No. He obviously got the death penalty for killing someone. Why allow people to get away with murder?

cjsbmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I;ve never been a fan of the death penalty. But if they have to do it, they need to stop using drugs that are not working properly. This makes what, four in the last six months alone that have died like this? The drug cocktail they're using doesn't work. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN