Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Michigan mayor says giving atheists equal treatment is like favoring the Nazis or the KKK

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM
  • 7 Replies

Michigan mayor says giving atheists equal treatment is like favoring the Nazis or the KKK

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:15 EDT

Father leading his son in prayer to receive Jesus via Shutterstock

A Michigan mayor compared atheists to Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan to defend his decision to exclude secular groups from setting up a “reason station” alongside a “prayer station” on public property, reported the Detroit Free Press.

The American Civil Liberties Union and two secular groups have sued the city of Warren and Mayor Jim Fouts on behalf of an atheist resident who asked to set up the booth in a City Hall atrium.

Fouts has allowed a local Christian church group to hand out religious materials and pray with visitors at City Hall since 2009.

But he rejected a proposal by Freedom From Religion member Douglas Marshall to discuss atheism and free thinking alongside the Christian activists.

The federal lawsuit claims Fouts violated Marshall’s First Amendment rights and seeks a court order allowing him to set up the reason station, along with unspecified damages.

“Defendants have favored and are favoring religion over nonreligion, and religious belief over disbelief, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment,” the suit argues.

Fouts said the lawsuit was part of a “continuing saga by a group of people who, in my opinion, promote conflict rather than resolution and understanding.”

The mayor said Marshall intended the reason station to stand in opposition to the prayer station, and he said that was disparaging and antagonistic to the prayer group.

“The city has certain values that I don’t believe are in general agreement with having an atheist station, nor in general agreement with having a Nazi station or Ku Klux Klan station,” Fouts said. “I cannot accept or will not allow a group that is disparaging of another group to have a station here.”

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM

One way or no way.

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

How do people like this get elected??? I will never understand.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
What a maroon.
UpSheRises
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Jim Fouts is an asshole. Every politician in that county is a corrupt piece of shit.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Well, he's a peach...
AdrianneHill
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Douche canoe
opinionatedmom
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. I am athiest and dont expect a satin worshiping station. i would not burn crosses on peoples lawn, torture people, I can't hate a black person just because they are black. i either hate or  like the personality of the person.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)