• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OR bakery that refused wedding cakes for same-sex couples now bakes ex-gay cakes

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

OR bakery that refused wedding cakes for same-sex couples now bakes ex-gay cakes

sweet cakes by melissa via official facebook page

The Oregon bakery that rose to national prominence when it refused to bake cakes for same-sex couples is now producing cakes for a prominent ex-gay ministry, the Advocate reported today.

Sweet Cakes by Melissa closed its doors in September of 2013, but continues to exist as an online delivery business. One of its current clients is the ex-gay ministry known as The Restored Hope Network, whose purpose is “restoring hope to those broken by sexual and relational sin especially those impacted by homosexuality.”

The cakes were baked for the group’s annual Hope Conference, which was hosted in Portland this year. The conference featured talks about how ex-gays can “endure over the long haul” and overcome the “thinking errors” caused by their “sexual addiction.”

The Restored Hope Network is run by “ex-lesbian” Anne Paulk, whose marriage to another ex-gay advocate, John Paulk, ended in divorce last year after he determined that he was no longer a “formerly gay” man.

On the thread that emerged after Sweet Cakes by Melissa posted images of the cakes on Facebook, Paulk wrote that the hatred levied at the company is evidence that gay marriage hurts people.

“Unfortunately, you have been targeted by gay activists and those who claim that gay marriage won’t have any impact on other people,” she wrote on Facebook. “The impact is shown clearly through this thread with hate leveled at a Godly couple. The very ones claiming hate are the ones doling it out.”

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fireangel5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Well, they were told they can't discriminate. Either you fully stand by that statement or you don't. 

FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

This does not surprise me at all.

They are, after all, paving their way to Heaven.

littlemum41
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Yep. Earning points.

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
The road to heaven is paved with eggs and sugar used to bake ex-gay cakes ... duh.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM
That cake is hideous.
latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

An "ex-lesbain" marries a "formerly gay" man. What could go wrong there??

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

it ended in divorce!

Quoting latashac:

sheramom4
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I think the gay couple that was refused service dodged a bullet. That cake is terribly done. 

KenneMaw
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh our pathetic first world problems....meanwhile in Africa girls are being kidnapped and sold into marriage at 10 years old.  Hey, but if it is a church wedding, I know who would bake them a cake!!!!!!!!     (insert sarcasm)

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:46 PM
I saw that. I didn't see any other possible outcome for them.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

it ended in divorce!

Quoting latashac:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)