Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dem Rep. Lectures Colleagues: ‘You Don’t Have a Right to Know Everything’ Government Does

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM
  • 4 Replies

Dem Rep. Lectures Colleagues: ‘You Don’t Have a Right to Know Everything’ Government Does

Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) lectured her colleagues in the U.S. House of Representatives that they “don’t have a right to know everything in a separation-of-powers government.”

“That is the difference between a parliamentary government and a separation-of-powers government,” she said.

Her outburst came during a Friday House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing where Republicans criticized the Obama administration for defying a subpoena calling on David Simas, director of the Office of Political Strategy and Outreach, to paperer before Congress.

Republicans argue that the Office of Political Strategy and Outreach has involved itself in political campaigns, which would be a violation of federal elution law.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) echoed Norton’s remarks, saying “I associated myself with your comments.”

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
29again
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM

shock

Wait.  No, not shocked.

littlemum41
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM

There has been Governmental secrecy for decades. The CIA, in the 50's and 60's, were keeping secrets and maybe almost acting as their own branch of the government.Politicians were secretly working with Intelligence agencies. The FBI had secret files to blackmail politicians with and that fact was kept from us until the last 20 years or so, since J Edgar died.

This is not new at all. You should be informed and read about the history of Intelligence Agencies and the Government. There probably ARE some issues that the public doesn't know about and maybe that is justified, I don't know. But I wouldn't get all hot and bothered and outraged at this at all. Besides, the Republicans in the Nixon adminustration hid so much from us that there are still things that haven't been revealed. There are connections to The Bay of Pigs and the JFK assasination and Watergate that people don't know about and prefer not to know about.

Policy and changes are made behind the scenes with reasons that they don't reveal to the general public. ( Such as why we have waged war during the last few decades . It is not to "defend our country and keep Amerca free". So, stop with the flag waving ) This is how all governments work. No big surprise.

It is par for the course.Maybe you don't like it but historically  that's what has been happening , it is reality.

BaronSamedi
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Actually, that is true. 

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I highly doubt she's the only politician, on either side, that believes that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)