Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Police Shoot Dog And Refuse To Let Owner Save His Pet

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM
  • 9 Replies

1809336_1406271251.2125

An experience with the DeKalb County, Georgia police has left dog owner Tim Theall infuriated. The police, who shot his dog through the jaw, refused to let Theall go to the vet to get his dog emergency care for over an hour. Theall said:

“No steps were taken by DeKalb police whatsoever to try to save my dog’s life.” [source]

1406331207001-WoundedDog

The 9-year-old German Shepherd was let out of the back yard fence on Thursday evening and ran to the front of the house before Theall could catch up with it. Theall recalled:

“And before I turned the corner of the house, I heard two shots; I heard a cop go, ‘Holy [expletive].’” [source]

The police had been in the area responding to a false home alarm. The dog surprised the officer, and he shot it. Theall says he can almost understand why the startled officer shot the dog, but couldn’t comprehend why he wasn’t allowed to take his dog to the vet immediately. Theall said:

“The dog was still alive, clearly bleeding like crazy and the police officer blocked my exit.” [source]

1406331207000-TimTheall
In fact, the officer used his patrol car to block Theall from taking the badly injured dog to the veterinary hospital – twice.

“Finally he convinced me that I would be thrown in jail if I didn’t just stay where I was.” [source]

It took over an hour for other officers to arrive at the scene. Theall was finally allowed to rescue his dog, who was suffering in pain. The German Shepherd is likely to recover, however Theall’s wife had to create a gofundme account to help with the expensive medical bills. Theall was overwhelmed by how many people were willing to help, as donations exceeded the $8,000 he was trying to raise.

“It really does restore some faith in humanity, really; we’ve got friends out there.” [source]

DeKalb County Police spokesman Capt. Stephen Fore said the shooting is currently under investigation.

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM

We're shooting humans left and right. Why not dogs and maybe cattle?

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Wait, the owner understood why a cop shot his dog??? If so then why is he complaining?? Seems he thinks the dog deserved it for being in front of the house.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Comprehension 101...

1.  The man said he can almost understand why the cop shot his dog....In other words, he understands that the dog probably startled the cop, and maybe the cop thought the dog was going to attack him.

2.  What he is upset over is the fact that for over an hour the cops wouldn't let him leave and take his dog to the vet's.

Quoting latashac:

Wait, the owner understood why a cop shot his dog??? If so then why is he complaining?? Seems he thinks the dog deserved it for being in front of the house.

MelanieJK
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I don't understand why the dog wasn't on a leash.    

He's right to question why they wouldn't let him get the dog help for so long.    Doesn't make sense to me based on this.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:22 AM

They need to hire a high powered lawyer and sue the cop personally and the PD.  

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:31 AM
Reading 101

1) I will take what he said for what it is, not your interpretation of what he meant. Nothing I read suggests the dog was aggressive towards the officers. Just another justified shooting in the making.

2) If they had good reason to shoot the dog then they must have had a good reason for that as well. Who are we to question them?? It could be threatening and we could be next for this trigger happy fool.

Quoting grandmab125:

Comprehension 101...

1.  The man said he can almost understand why the cop shot his dog....In other words, he understands that the dog probably startled the cop, and maybe the cop thought the dog was going to attack him.

2.  What he is upset over is the fact that for over an hour the cops wouldn't let him leave and take his dog to the vet's.

Quoting latashac:

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:33 AM

DEKALB COUNTY, GA -- A DeKalb County man claims police shot his dog and then wouldn't let him try to save the canine's life.

"No steps were taken by DeKalb police whatsoever to try to save my dog's life," Tim Theall told 11 Alive on Friday.

Theall said he can almost understand why a startled DeKalb County police officer shot Doctor, his 9-year-old German Shepherd, Thursday evening, but not why the officer wouldn't let him get the dog treated for over an hour.

Theall said he let the dog out of a back yard fence around 7 p.m. and it ran around the house to the front yard before he could follow it.

"And before I turned the corner of the house, I heard two shots; I heard a cop go, 'Holy [expletive],'" Theall said.

Responding to a false home alarm, the officer shot the dog through the jaw as they surprised each other in the front yard.

"The dog was still alive, clearly bleeding like crazy and the police officer blocked my exit," Theall said.

Theall claimed the officer twice used his patrol car to keep him from taking the dog to a veterinary hospital in his own car.

"Finally he convinced me that I would be thrown in jail if I didn't just stay where I was," the dog owner said.

After other officers, including a sergeant, arrived and after an hour had passed, Theall said he was finally allowed to take his dog to the emergency vet, where it's expected to recover, but with very expensive medical bills. His wife set up a gofundme account for donations to help pay for the dog's care and the couple is amazed at the huge response.

"It really does restore some faith in humanity, really; we've got friends out there," he added.

Meanwhile DeKalb County Police spokesman Capt. Stephen Fore told 11Alive the incident is under investigation, like any shooting. He said their officers are trained to preserve evidence at a shooting scene, but he understands the owner's concern over the dog not being treated immediately.

Fore added that the incident will be studied and that they "may learn from it" and handle similar situations differently in the future.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:50 AM

You really do have a reading comprehension problem.  You read shit into things that just isn't there.

Since you didn't seem to comprehend why the man said he understood why the cop shot his dog, I gave you a plausible reason for why he said what he said.

Then you asked why did the guy complain if he understood why the cop shot his dog?

So, I explained to you what was there in black and white in the article.  He couldn't understand why the cops made him wait an hour before he could take his poor dog to the vet.

What part of any of that did you not get the first time around?

I wasn't the one questioning the cop or the man.  You were.

Quoting latashac: Reading 101 1) I will take what he said for what it is, not your interpretation of what he meant. Nothing I read suggests the dog was aggressive towards the officers. Just another justified shooting in the making. 2) If they had good reason to shoot the dog then they must have had a good reason for that as well. Who are we to question them?? It could be threatening and we could be next for this trigger happy fool.
Quoting grandmab125:

Comprehension 101...

Quoting latashac:

katemckenzie
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
That's fucked up. I understand that the cop was taken of guard and felt like the dog could have attacked, sure, but that's irrelevant. Clearly the dog wasn't going attack anyone once it had been shot in the jaw, so why the fuck didn't they let the poor guy take the dog to the doggy hospital? If a cop shoots a dude when feeling threatened, and he needs medical attention, they get the guy medical attention, not block his family off and threaten to arrest them.
UGH
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)