Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He Thought His Dog Had Led Him to a Rabbit. Then It Moved, and He Yelled for Help.

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM
  • 19 Replies

He Thought His Dog Had Led Him to a Rabbit. Then It Moved, and He Yelled for Help.

A Michigan man let his dog lead him down a road they usually don’t walk on Monday morning. When he saw what the dog, Bobby, stopped at, he was stunned.

“He brought me over to about here, and there’s when I saw what [looked like] a rabbit at first,” Jeff Kopp of Diamond Lake, Michigan, told WOOD-TV. “Then it moved. That’s when I started yelling.”

Bobby led his owner to an abandoned baby that law enforcement said was outside for up to six hours earlier this week. (Image source: WOOD-TV)

Bobby led his owner to an abandoned baby that law enforcement said was outside for up to six hours earlier this week. (Image source: WOOD-TV)

A closer look revealed it was a newborn baby with its umbilical cord still attached.

Kopp yelled for his wife and daughter, who called 911 and brought a blanket to warm the naked baby found in the grass on a cool morning, WOOD reported.

“Once the women picked her up and wrapped her up, then eventually she started to cry and we knew that she was OK,” Kopp told the news station.

Kopp's daughter, Kathleen Neal, pointed to the area where the baby was found Monday. The baby was taken to the hospital and found in fair condition. (Image source: WOOD-TV)

Kopp’s daughter, Kathleen Neal, pointed to the area where the baby was found Monday. The baby was taken to the hospital where it was later listed in fair condition. (Image source: WOOD-TV)

Medical responders arrived, evaluated the baby and took her to a local hospital, where she was later listed in fair condition, WZZM-TV reported.

“I feel that we were led to that place, OK, because it was out of the ordinary for me to come in this direction,” Kopp told WOOD. “I tend to think it was God [who] led us this way, that all life is precious to Him.”

Kathleen Neal, Kopp’s daughter, told MLive she saw a young teenage neighbor watching from across the street when the baby was found.

“She acted like she was totally clueless, like she didn’t know what happened. She said she saw a car drive by at 5:30 a.m.,” Neal told MLive. “She also said that if it was hers, she would never do something like that and how could anybody do something like that to a baby.”

This young woman was later found to be the mother of the child. She was taken to the hospital as well and investigators were going to interview her about the situation.

Michigan has a “Safe Delivery” law, which allows mothers to “safely surrender their newborn child no more than 72 hours old to an employee who is inside and on duty at any hospital, fire department, police station or by calling 911.” The program is meant to be an alternative to complete abandonment.

With this law in place, Neal told WOOD she doesn’t understand why the mother left the child outside.

“I know she’s a young girl, but she’s not stupid, so it really makes me wonder why,” Neal told the news station. “It’s just really hard to believe. It’s really hard to believe that someone would do that.”

Watch WOOD-TV’s report about the incident:

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Michigan has a “Safe Delivery” law, which allows mothers to “safely surrender their newborn child no more than 72 hours old to an employee who is inside and on duty at any hospital, fire department, police station or by calling 911.” The program is meant to be an alternative to complete abandonment.

Some people are simply beyond help.

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM

This will only happen more and more as we keep demonizing women..

latashac
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM

We will never know why bitches do this type of stuff. No home training I guess.

KRISTAL_WILDER
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM

So she sat in her nice comfy home while she watched her naked baby exposed to the elements and waited for it to die with her right across the road?!

Ednarooni160
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM

OH..she was OLD enough and allegedly intelligent enough I guess to hear about S & M from planned parenthood but not old enough to know what to do with her baby..smh.

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Some people shouldn't have children. Take the steps to prevent this from happening.

I hate to say this but I'd like to slap this ignorant b upside the head. 

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM

She went to PP? How do we know she was educated on anything? Where are her parents?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

OH..she was OLD enough and allegedly intelligent enough I guess to hear about S & M from planned parenthood but not old enough to know what to do with her baby..smh.

Ednarooni160
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

She went to PP? How do we know she was educated on anything? Where are her parents?

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I was making a comparison comment..if you didn't get it..whatever..

Billiejeens
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM

She didn't say that she went there - she said that she was old enough to.

It is just simple English.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM

The PP videos were edited to fit an agenda. Has nothing to do with this girl. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I was making a comparison comment..if you didn't get it..whatever..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)