Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

NC eatery rejects separation of church and plate with discount for ‘praying in public’

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM
  • 90 Replies

NC eatery rejects separation of church and plate with discount for ‘praying in public’

By Arturo Garcia
Friday, August 1, 2014 20:38 EDT

PrayforFood

A restaurant in Winston-Salem, North Carolina has attracted both positive and negative attention by offering a discount to patrons who pray, HLN reported.

Mary’s Gourmet Diner garnered notice after one customer, Jordan Smith, posted a picture online of her receipt from a recent visit, which contained a 15 percent discount for “praying in public.”

Smith told HLN that she and two business colleagues prayed over their breakfast during a Wednesday outing there. Later, the waitress allegedly “came over at the end of the meal and said, ‘Just so you know, we gave you a 15% discount for praying,’ which I’d never seen before.”

A Christian radio station in Orlando, Florida, Z88, subsequently reposted the image on its Facebook page. The diner later confirmed the discount on its own Facebook page, although there have been conflicting reports on how frequently it is offered.

“The three of us at the table talked about how wonderful that is and what a cool thing it is that they do as business owners,” Smith was quoted as saying.

While one employee told HLN that it is done regularly, restaurant management denied the allegation in a separate post Friday afternoon.

“I will say that it is not a ‘policy,’” the post stated. “It’s a gift we give at random to customers who take a moment before their meal.”

The post went on to clarify that the “moment” could include prayer or “a moment to breathe,” and that the manager appreciated the “abundance of beautiful food” in the U.S. after living in an unidentified “3rd world country.”

“I NEVER take that for granted,” the post stated. “It warms my heart to see people with an attitude of gratitude. Prayer, meditation or just breathing while being grateful opens the heart chakra.”

But as NPR reported, other visitors to the restaurant’s page questioned the nature of the “gift.”

“Do you give prayer discounts to people who aren’t of your religion?” one commenter asked. “Like Sikh’s or Hindus or Muslims or Jews?”

Others reportedly wondered whether the restaurant’s discount for religious displays violated parts of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bans discrimination based on religion in public places.

by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
9 moms liked this
They can offer whatever discount they want. They can't refuse service. This doesn't outrage me.
lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I'll give thanks before a meal for the 15% discount.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

The question is does it have to be to their "God"? Would they give a satanist a discount if they started praying before their meal? That is the question. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

How would they know? Anybody I have ever seen bow their head before a meal never makes a spectacle of it, in fact, they seem to only pray silently. Maybe I don't understand Christianity and praying before a meal.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The question is does it have to be to their "God"? Would they give a satanist a discount if they started praying before their meal? That is the question. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Never lead grace? 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

How would they know? Anybody I have ever seen bow their head before a meal never makes a spectacle of it, in fact, they seem to only pray silently. Maybe I don't understand Christianity and praying before a meal.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:53 PM
4 moms liked this

Ever seen Meet the Parents when Greg Focker led grace? 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Never lead grace? 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM

http://youtu.be/XHrw3AFW0Z0

Sorry upload video option not working. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Ever seen Meet the Parents when Greg Focker led grace? 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Never lead grace? 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Separation of church and state has to do with actions by the government, silly - not private citizens.

But your concern is valid - This will likely lead to insincere prayer  - which is antithetical to their goal.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Others reportedly wondered whether the restaurant’s discount for religious displays violated parts of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which bans discrimination based on religion in public places.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM

So people will pretend to pray in order to get the discount. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)