Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Democratic Operative Accused of Racism, Deletes Twitter Account After Ethnic Jabs at GOP Senator’s Wife

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Eds
  • 17 Replies

Democratic Operative Accused of Racism, Deletes Twitter Account After Ethnic Jabs at GOP Senator’s Wife

When her Twitter account was active, Democratic operative Kathy Groob touted herself as a “business & political consultant, activist for women’s rights and equality, founder of http://ElectWomen.com.”

But after a series of tweets that scores of people are calling racist — along with a public lashing from the Kentucky Democratic Party — Groob’s Twitter account is no more.

Although one might think she should have seen it coming after her repeated references to the ethnicity of Elaine Chao, a former Labor Secretary who just happens to be the wife of Republican U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell, reported WHAS-TV in Louisville.

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) and his wife Elaine L. Chao arrive at the White House June 7, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Image source: Getty Images)

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) and his wife Elaine L. Chao arrive at the White House June 7, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Image source: Getty Images)

In the run-up to speeches McConnell and his Democrat opponent for U.S. Senate, Alison Lundergan Grimes, were giving in Fancy Farm, Kentucky, on Saturday, Groob jumped on the ethnicity of McConnell’s wife:

“Hey Mitch, nothing against you wife and spouses should be off limits; since you mentioned, she isn’t from KY, she is Asian.”

Image source: Twitter via WHAS-TV

Failing to explain what Asian ethnicity has to do with not being from Kentucky, Groob doubled down: ”Either way, she’s not from KY,” she noted to those questioning her words, “she is Asian and Bush openly touted that.”

And finally: “Google Elaine Chao, #MitchMcConnell’s wife. No mention of Kentucky, she is Asian.”

As you might imagine, Groob got socked with denouncements of racism:

KarenMorison @karen_morison

Perennially losing KY Democrat Kathy Groob, says Elaine Chao (Mrs. Mitch McConnell) isn't a Kentuckian, "She's Asian!" Sounds racist to us.

maquisap @maquisap

Racist democrapic operative white liberal pig kathy groob http://www.whas11.com/community/blogs/political-blog/After-she-is-Asian-tweets-about-McConnells-wife-Dems-rebuke-operative-269676631.html 

maquisap @maquisap

Racist democrapic operative white liberal pig kathy groob http://www.whas11.com/community/blogs/political-blog/After-she-is-Asian-tweets-about-McConnells-wife-Dems-rebuke-operative-269676631.html 

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
29again
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:19 AM
6 moms liked this

But I thought the dems were all about diversity, and the repubs were the ultimate racists.  Apparently, diversity is fine, but only as long as you think the right way.

Mrs.KAZ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM
7 moms liked this
This is why I have become more conservative and Republican leaning in the last few years, the Democrats are so very hypocritical and much more damaging to the country than not.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Well, welcome.

The Dems have been this way since Kennedy - there has not been a decent Democrat since JFK.

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: This is why I have become more conservative and Republican leaning in the last few years, the Democrats are so very hypocritical and much more damaging to the country than not.

Mrs.KAZ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM
4 moms liked this
I wasn't around for JFK, Clinton (second term) was the first presidential election I could vote in. I am still registered Democrat, because I don't completely fit in the Republican camp either. But I am very disenchanted with the Democratic party and their platform, especially since Obama. I vote more Republican then I ever have, especially state and federal elections. It makes my hubby proud, he has always been a republican:-)

Quoting Billiejeens:

Well, welcome.

The Dems have been this way since Kennedy - there has not been a decent Democrat since JFK.

Quoting Mrs.KAZ: This is why I have become more conservative and Republican leaning in the last few years, the Democrats are so very hypocritical and much more damaging to the country than not.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:47 PM

If you look at what one person says and then paint an entire group of people you might have a point. We don't want to do that to the right now do we? I don't think it's appreciated when either side does this. 

The comments are racist and disgusting. 

Quoting 29again:

But I thought the dems were all about diversity, and the repubs were the ultimate racists.  Apparently, diversity is fine, but only as long as you think the right way.

codfish
by Jen on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this
What makes me ill is that she and other women politics pull this middle school crap.

I am not a Hillary fan, but the way she was treated when she ran was similar. Name calling, comments about wrinkles, hair, crap that doesn't matter.

What makes me laugh is that dems claim repub are the racists. They always scream southerners are racist.

Just a clue....a real southern lady would never publicly speak like this woman did about another female. We fight for other females to climb the ladder while pulling up other women.

I do enjoy that no dems on here have defended her.
WatermelonP
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Just goes to show there is bigotry from all areas of the political spectrum, and it should be called out whenever it is seen.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

But she thinks she IS helping a another woman. The dem one that is running against Mitch.

Quoting codfish: What makes me ill is that she and other women politics pull this middle school crap. I am not a Hillary fan, but the way she was treated when she ran was similar. Name calling, comments about wrinkles, hair, crap that doesn't matter. What makes me laugh is that dems claim repub are the racists. They always scream southerners are racist. Just a clue....a real southern lady would never publicly speak like this woman did about another female. We fight for other females to climb the ladder while pulling up other women. I do enjoy that no dems on here have defended her.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM

BUMP!

codfish
by Jen on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this
The idiot den running against Mitch is helping no one. She makes women look like immature middle school girls with her racist nastiness.

Quoting DSamuels:

But she thinks she IS helping a another woman. The dem one that is running against Mitch.

Quoting codfish: What makes me ill is that she and other women politics pull this middle school crap.

I am not a Hillary fan, but the way she was treated when she ran was similar. Name calling, comments about wrinkles, hair, crap that doesn't matter.

What makes me laugh is that dems claim repub are the racists. They always scream southerners are racist.

Just a clue....a real southern lady would never publicly speak like this woman did about another female.
We fight for other females to climb the ladder while pulling up other women.

I do enjoy that no dems on here have defended her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN