Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

U.S. terrorism database doubles in recent years

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

http://news.yahoo.com/us-terrorism-database-doubles-recent-years-163231355--politics.html

OBAMA: 'WE TORTURED SOME PEOPLE'

A government database of known or suspected terrorists doubled in size in recent years, The Associated Press has learned. The growth is the result of intelligence agencies submitting names more often after a near-miss attack in 2009.

There were 1.1 million people in the database at the end of 2013, according to newly released figures from the National Counterterrorism Center, which maintains the information. There were about 550,000 people in the database in March 2010.

The Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment, or TIDE, is a huge, classified database of people known to be terrorists, those who are suspected of having ties to terrorism, and in some cases those who are related to or are associates of known or suspected terrorists. It feeds to smaller lists that restrict peoples' abilities to travel on commercial airlines to or within the U.S.

The government does not need evidence that links someone to terrorism in order for the person to be included in the database. This is among the reasons the database and subsequent terror watch lists have been criticized by privacy advocates. Of the 1.1 million people in the database, 25,000 are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, the National Counterterrorism Center said.

The database's growth is a result of the government's response to a failed attempt to blow up a commercial airliner over Detroit on Christmas Day in 2009. The terror operative's name was included in the database before the attack, but it was not on a list that would have prevented him from getting on a U.S.-bound airplane. Since then, the government has lowered the standards for placing someone on the no-fly list and intelligence agencies have become more diligent about submitting names to the TIDE database.

The database was created after the 9/11 terror attacks when it became clear that the government's terror watch list was ineffective. The watch list was once maintained in a rolodex and in paper notebooks, according to redacted photographs provided by the National Counterterrorism Center.

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Things are only going to get worse, I wonder what the government is doing about all these terrorists residing here in the US?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Mostly sigining them up for Government benefits, I think.

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Things are only going to get worse, I wonder what the government is doing about all these terrorists residing here in the US?

Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM
4 moms liked this

It wouldn't surprise, me. It's really scary knowing there's so many terrorists and terrorist sympathizers in the US, no one is safe.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Mostly sigining them up for Government benefits, I think.

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

UpSheRises
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Wait...you actually think all the people on the list are terrorists?

My god...you have no problem with the government spying on anyone they consider a potential terrorist?

FFS...its attitudes like yours that fuel big brother government

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Did you even read the article?

Quoting UpSheRises: Wait...you actually think all the people on the list are terrorists? My god...you have no problem with the government spying on anyone they consider a potential terrorist? FFS...its attitudes like yours that fuel big brother government
Quoting Sweet_Faith:

UpSheRises
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Yes, especially the part where they dont need evidence to put someone on the list. No evidence...at individual discretion with no oversight or legal recource for anyone on the list. Sounds legit to me!

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Quoting UpSheRises: Wait...you actually think all the people on the list are terrorists?

My god...you have no problem with the government spying on anyone they consider a potential terrorist?

FFS...its attitudes like yours that fuel big brother government

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

They are going to protect them, support them, and then if anyone tries to put them in prison..the gov will more than likely eventually pardon and/or free them.  Was done recently concerning 5 huge terrorist..smh.  Oh and if it's a radical musliim...even if they scream JIHAD or whatever it is that they shout before killing people (as the psychiatrist did on the military base)..it will be an IFFY if this country can call it terrorism.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this...

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

They are going to protect them, support them, and then if anyone tries to put them in prison..the gov will more than likely eventually pardon and/or free them.  Was done recently concerning 5 huge terrorist..smh.  Oh and if it's a radical musliim...even if they scream JIHAD or whatever it is that they shout before killing people (as the psychiatrist did on the military base)..it will be an IFFY if this country can call it terrorism.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:20 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm concerned for those who may not be terrorists.  I would like to say I can trust that our government is aware of terrorist pods and training bases taking place in our country, and that the government is going after them, but I honestly cannot.  

My concern then, is after our president pardoning some terrorists recently, knowing what they've done and could do harm again, I frankly am having a hard time trusting our government.  

It makes one wonder just how many actual terrorists are on that list as opposed to how many innocent ones are actually on that list instead.  To me, this is disturbing.

Quoting UpSheRises: Yes, especially the part where they dont need evidence to put someone on the list. No evidence...at individual discretion with no oversight or legal recource for anyone on the list. Sounds legit to me!
Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Quoting UpSheRises: Wait...you actually think all the people on the list are terrorists? My god...you have no problem with the government spying on anyone they consider a potential terrorist? FFS...its attitudes like yours that fuel big brother government
Quoting Sweet_Faith:

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Obama and his admin continually blow it in the terrorist dept.

First, they refused to declare Boko Haram a terrorist group, and all the things that might have done to prevent them from their wide swath of terrorism in Nigeria.

Then the leader of ISIS was a prisoner in Camp Rucca, Iraq until Obama closed the place down.  Now he's taking over Iraq.

Oh, and lest we forget, the Boston Bomber, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was on a list, then they removed him even though Russia tipped them off that he was with a Muslim terrorist group in Chechnya.

And on, and on, and on.... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN