Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

‘Burn in hell’: Christians respond on Facebook to AL atheist with death threats, hatred

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM
  • 85 Replies

‘Burn in hell’: Christians respond on Facebook to AL atheist with death threats, hatred

Sunday, August 10, 2014 16:13 EDT

Angry young Christian man via Shutterstock

Responding to a question posed on a Facebook page — maintained by Alabama television station WKRG — asking for opinions on a recent proposal for a privately-funded atheist display, self-identified Christians filled the comment section with vitriol and hatred for a woman speaking for a Mobile atheist group.

According to the Friendly Atheist, WKRG focused the question, not on the display itself, but on Amanda Scott who represented the Mobile Atheist Community.

“FACEBOOK QUESTION: What are your thoughts on a local woman who wants to see an Athiest motto placed next to the words “In God We Trust” at Government Plaza?,” WKRGposted.

What followed were several thousand comments — many deleted now–  attacking Scott, wishing for her death, telling her to leave the country, and criticizing her appearance.

Byron Cruthirds wrote: “Take her Atheist self somewhere else. This is One Nation Under God!,” while Jessica Marlowe McPherson added, ” Always something. Gays want gay rights, blacks have black history month, and so on. But you let Christians preach or want something posted about GOD somewhere and its horrible! But least I know when he comes back I won’t be left here to deap w (sic) all the horrible things!”

Scott opposed the Mobile County Commission’s approval of a privately funded “In God We Trust” display at the Government Plaza, saying, “I strongly urge the commission to reject the display ‘In God We Trust. It would only serve to divide Mobile on religion when we’re already so divided on other issues.”

Responding to  Scott, one Facebook commenter suggested she be shot for “treason,” with another writing “she’ll burn in hell when her time comes.”

Others commented on her appearance, with one writing “she is just bitter because one of the seven deadly sin is gluttony”

The Friendly Atheist screen-capped a collection of the offending comments before they were deleted, some seen below:

AL-athesits_1AL_atheist2

The comment section of  WKRG Facebook page was still active as of this writing.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Well that's appalling.
Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I am speechless. So much hate.
FromAtoZ
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Sadly, this does not surprise me in the least.

Godgaveme4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I take these things with a grain of salt. While yes there are some Christians who probably got mad and made unnecessary comment. There is really no way to guarantee that all of those comments were made by Christians. Everyone, those of faith and those not of faith can be very passionate about their beliefs. Sometimes a few make stupid comments.

This is hardly news worthy but I understand why it was posted.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this

lol

I'm sorry- I don;t mean to laugh- but the comment" These and others are really testing my personality"

rofl

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it would be afair estimate to say, that these people who were wishing for this person's demise were people of one faith community or another. 

Quoting Godgaveme4: I take these things with a grain of salt. While yes there are some Christians who probably got mad and made unnecessary comment. There is really no way to guarantee that all of those comments were made by Christians. Everyone, those of faith and those not of faith can be very passionate about their beliefs. Sometimes a few make stupid comments. This is hardly news worthy but I understand why it was posted.

seaglassblu
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

There are people who troll social media looking for controversial subjects and post outrageous things to get folks riled up, I wouldn't automatically assume that the posters are fervent Christians, could be that group of social misfits called trolls.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM
8 moms liked this

A "true" Christian would never say any of those things to anyone. There are many out there in the world that say they're Christians and they're not. When one of the disciples asked Jesus how the world would know who is a believer, Jesus replied by saying, by their love for one another and by their fruits, meaning how they live their  lives.These people who made these ugly comments are not true Christians. 

Godgaveme4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not going to assume that. But you go right ahead.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I think it would be afair estimate to say, that these people who were wishing for this person's demise were people of one faith community or another. 

Quoting Godgaveme4: I take these things with a grain of salt. While yes there are some Christians who probably got mad and made unnecessary comment. There is really no way to guarantee that all of those comments were made by Christians. Everyone, those of faith and those not of faith can be very passionate about their beliefs. Sometimes a few make stupid comments.

This is hardly news worthy but I understand why it was posted.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Ignorance and the relative anonymity of the Internet brings out the worst in many people.
I rarely take this kind of responses seriously.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)