Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Local Arab-American community responds to Dearborn being listed on FBI's terrorist watch list

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:42 AM
  • 11 Replies

Video : http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wayne-county/local-arab-american-community-responds-to-dearborn-being-listed-on-fbis-terrorist-watch-list

DEARBORN, Mich. (WXYZ) - “We are not terrorists, whatsoever,” said Saed Nasser. He sums up what many in the local Arab-American community are feeling after learning that Dearborn is the #2 city on the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s terrorist watch list.

“It’s saying that somewhat, we don’t have our rights anymore because they’re watching us, everything we do,” said Nasser. “They’re in our text messages; they’re in our lives; they’re in our privacy lives; they’re in everything.”

One of the largest concentrations of Arabs outside of the Middle East is in the metropolitan Detroit area. The city of Dearborn is home to many Arabs and Arab-Americans. 

The online news site “The Intercept” published a story on August 5, 2014, revealing Dearborn’s ranking on the terrorist watch list, based on leaked, classified government documents.

Several community leaders held a news conference on Friday morning, outside of Dearborn City Hall, expressing outrage.

“These numbers are totally fabricated, unfounded, unfair and unjust to this community,” said Nabih Ayah, chairman of the Arab-American Civil Rights League. “What this says is that every child, son, daughter, uncle has terrorist ties.”

Yehia Bazzi was born in Lebanon, but has been living in America since 1989. Standing outside of The Princess Bakery on Warren Avenue, near Wyoming, he said Muslims are misunderstood by many people in this country.

“We are peaceful people. We came to this wonderful country; we live here, we work here, we pay taxes here,” said Bazzi. “We support America.”

Abdallah Nahdi moved to the USA from Tanzania in 1999. After 15 years in this country, the Yemen native now considers this home. He does not appreciate the government arbitrarily considering him, and others in his community, to be terrorists. 

“This is my country and I will fight for this country,” said Nahdi. “But, we’re going to correct the system.” 

Arab-American community leaders have sent a letter to Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) asking him to file an inquiry with the U.S. Justice Department about the surveillance of Arab-Americans and American Muslims who live in Dearborn. 

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM
4 moms liked this

I think one thing would / could change the minds of many Americans.  That would be a Muslim American Clerical LEADER to stand in front of American cameras and denounce the horrors that are being performed in the name of Islam. 

seaglassblu
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  If a community can organize to protest this, they can organize to protest the horrors committed by terrorists in the name of Islam.  They should be horrified to be associated with the radicals who profane their religion.

Quoting jobseeker:

I think one thing would / could change the minds of many Americans.  That would be a Muslim American Clerical LEADER to stand in front of American cameras and denounce the horrors that are being performed in the name of Islam. 

Kristen.Marie
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Arab american and Muslim are two different things. Not all Arab Americans are Muslim. Many many are christian.

Quoting jobseeker:

Ms.KitKat
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:35 PM

An Al Sharpton for Muslims.

Quoting jobseeker:

Kristen.Marie
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM
http://www.islamonline.com/news/articles/122/Learning-to-Differentiate-Between-Muslims-and-Arab.html

Quoting seaglassblu:

Yes.  If a community can organize to protest this, they can organize to protest the horrors committed by terrorists in the name of Islam.  They should be horrified to be associated with the radicals who profane their religion.

Quoting jobseeker:

Kristen.Marie
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM
http://www.islamonline.com/news/articles/122/Learning-to-Differentiate-Between-Muslims-and-Arab.html

Quoting seaglassblu:

Quoting jobseeker:

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I never implied that all arabs are muslim.  I called for a MUSLIM AMERICAN CLERICAL LEADER to make a stand.

I have seen the links provided here, none of them are linked to a major news outlet.  where is CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, or even FOX?

It's not effective if muslims are talking to other muslims. 

Quoting Kristen.Marie: Arab american and Muslim are two different things. Not all Arab Americans are Muslim. Many many are christian.
Quoting jobseeker:

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM

They have been for several days now. They have been making constant statement's from here, the imam's and the bored of director's for several mosque and Islamic Center's here. Hassan al-Qazwini is the Imam at the Islamic Center of America which is the largest mosque in North American, the Yemeni mosque, the Palestinian mosque (they are not called that but that's what we call then) my mosque and all associating mosque nation wide IANA which is the larges Muslim organization in North America, ISNA which is the sister organization to IANA and the second largest organization, the Egyptian mosque. There are a a few hundred mosque here and no one is sitting silent.

Funny thing is... if I didn't live here and if I didn't have the Arabic news from the other side of the world I would have never heard of it although I don't think it is our community's responsibility to answer for something some other organization is doing on the other side of the world that we are not responsible for and I think it is idiotic for anyone to expect that we do.

Many have  been protesting the violence and ISIS out side of Dearborn City Hall for 5 days. I wont go because first of all I don't have the time, second of all it is not my responsibility to answer for what an organization all the way across the globe are doing that I have no association with other than I do have family living in the middle of this nightmare who's life has been turned inside out.

Quoting jobseeker:

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Quoting seaglassblu:

Quoting jobseeker:

I don't see why it is we should be associated with anyone ? This is not something new that has just all of a sudden happened. This is constant and has been since the 2000's . but what it's worth since apparently I guess it is our responsibility....

They have been for several days now. They have been making constant statement's from here, the imam's and the bored of director's for several mosque and Islamic Center's here. Hassan al-Qazwini is the Imam at the Islamic Center of America which is the largest mosque in North American, the Yemeni mosque, the Palestinian mosque (they are not called that but that's what we call then) my mosque and all associating mosque nation wide IANA which is the larges Muslim organization in North America, ISNA which is the sister organization to IANA and the second largest organization, the Egyptian mosque. There are a a few hundred mosque here and no one is sitting silent.

Funny thing is... if I didn't live here and if I didn't have the Arabic news from the other side of the world I would have never heard of it although I don't think it is our community's responsibility to answer for something some other organization is doing on the other side of the world that we are not responsible for and I think it is idiotic for anyone to expect that we do.

Many have  been protesting the violence and ISIS out side of Dearborn City Hall for 5 days. I wont go because first of all I don't have the time, second of all it is not my responsibility to answer for what an organization all the way across the globe are doing that I have no association with other than I do have family living in the middle of this nightmare who's life has been turned inside out.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM

There are allot of Christian's here, mostly Lebanese Christian and Chaldean Christian. It does not happen so much to Chaldean Christian's but it does to Lebanese Christian's.

Quoting Kristen.Marie: Arab american and Muslim are two different things. Not all Arab Americans are Muslim. Many many are christian.
Quoting jobseeker:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN