Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Defense Secretary: 'The World is Exploding All Over'

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Eds
  • 14 Replies

9:01 AM, Aug 13, 2014 • By JERYL BIER

Fresh off a trip to India and Australia, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel addressed a group of Marines in San Diego, California Tuesday, and may have delivered a line that will show up in Republican campaign ads this election cycle. After updating the troops on some issues in the Pacific region and the Middle East, Hagel took questions from some of the Marines and gave a stark assessment of the global security situation: "The world is exploding all over." The remark came in response to a question about the Obama administration's realignment of the military towards the Asia-Pacific theater:

Q: Good afternoon, sir. My question is that, given that the administration's primary focus is on the Pacific theater, how has all of the issues popping up in the world today, Russia, Iraq, Africa, the rest of the theaters pretty much affected that current mission? And how do you foresee that affecting the mission in the future? 

SEC. HAGEL: Thank you. That's a -- go ahead, sit down -- that's a question I got often when I was in India and Australia. And the trip I just came from was my sixth trip to the Asia Pacific area in the last year-and-a-half. I've got four planned this calendar year. And so I get that question all the time. It's a legitimate question for the very reasons you asked. 

The world is exploding all over. And so is the United States going to continue to have the resources, the capabilities, the leadership, the bandwidth to continue with the rebalance toward the Asia Pacific? And the answer is yes.

Hagel went on say that, despite the rebalancing towards the Pacific, the US will not be "retreating" from any threats elsewhere in the world.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it is... Obama is clueless how to handle world affairs. And we have 2 more yrs of this devastation.

quote>

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

So are you actually trying to posit that it is Obama's fault.....this whole world exploding all over thing?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Yes, it is... Obama is clueless how to handle world affairs. And we have 2 more yrs of this devastation.

quote>

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM

He admits that the world is "exploding" but he says:

The world is exploding all over. And so is the United States going to continue to have the resources, the capabilities, the leadership, the bandwidth to continue with the rebalance toward the Asia Pacific? And the answer is yes.

Hagel went on say that, despite the rebalancing towards the Pacific, the US will not be "retreating" from any threats elsewhere in the world.

Obama is downsizing the military, not controlling the borders in fact he's created an even more security breach of the borders by the dream act......not to mention he's a weak leader..yea..Hagel I'm sure you're right. smh..  Hagel is either clueless and strikenly familar in speaking like Jay Carney. (sp)

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I agree he is "clueless" however and I am not an Obama supporter, never was I don't see how his administration can be responsible for the whole world when their own world is falling apart. It can't just be the USA. It has to be Nato, the Arab League, all working together. In fact as far as Iraq is concerned if the USA would not have gone there that would have been one less problem there is now.

But yes he is clueless as to how to run 1 country, he surely can't run the whole world. Funny thing is he is catching so much international heat over everything that is happening all over the world. Those he is catching the most if not all the heat from are those country's that do make up Nato and the Arab League who are not doing a damn thing their self.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

vic270
by Vic on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I am not saying that all of it is Obama's fault nor am I answering for BK. I think that a lot of things could have been prevented if Obama was more experienced in foreign policy, and was willing to listen to people who are knowledgeable in world affairs, especially the middle east. Then about the mess at the US and Mexican borders he, as president should have listened when this first got out of control. I could go on for a while but to sum it up, no it is not Obama's fault it's the people that voted for him and got him elected .

Quoting idunno1234:

So are you actually trying to posit that it is Obama's fault.....this whole world exploding all over thing?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

erika9009
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Yeah, it was George Bush's fault.

If this was GW, the press and Liberals would be blaming Bush 4 ways from Sunday.  What goes around comes around, LOL.  

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

Erika..

The best things in life are not things.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Was the Defense Secretary watching the news?

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

It has been this way for a long time. There will always be wars and fighting. The world isn't exploding any more than it was 20 years ago. It seems so because now we have social media to highlight the events. SMH

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Removing Saddam left the conditions ripe for Isis but if you read a little further, you see how I don't think any one POTUS has the power to do a whole heck of a lot to improve the world's shit.  When we interfere in other countries as we have always done, we certainly have the power to make things worse.

I'm not defending Obama- just trying to be realistic about it all and rise above the hyperbole, I'm not a democrat and while I am admittedly a bleeding heart, I'm not even always a liberal.

Nice assumptions you make.

Quoting erika9009:

Yeah, it was George Bush's fault.

If this was GW, the press and Liberals would be blaming Bush 4 ways from Sunday.  What goes around comes around, LOL.  

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Gotta keep those soldiers fighting mentality up one way...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)