Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Conservative Christians infuriated that Navy orders Bibles removed from its lodges

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM
  • 455 Replies

Conservative Christians infuriated that Navy orders Bibles removed from its lodges

By Scott Kaufman
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:25 EDT

Gideons_bible via joshua h on flickr

Religion News Service reports that the United States Navy has angered conservatives with its decision not to allow complementary Bibles in the guest rooms of its lodges.

The nonprofit atheist group Freedom From Religious Foundation (FFRF) sent a letter in March complaining that “[p]roviding bibles to guests in Navy-run hotels amounts to a government endorsement of that religious text. Including bibles sends the message to non-Christian and non-religious guests that they should read the bible… Such a practice alienates non-Christian guests whose religious beliefs are inconsistent with the message being promoted by the bibles, including the 20% of the U.S. population that is nonreligious.”

The Navy Chaplain has responded, ordering the Navy Lodge General Manager to “remove religious material currently in the guest rooms.”

FFRF Staff Attorney Sam Grover said that “[b]y removing bibles from Navy-run lodges, the Navy has taken a step to ensure that it is not sending the impermissible message that Christians are favored over guests with other religious beliefs or over those guests with no religion.”

However, the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty struck back this week, with former chaplain Colonel Ron Crews saying that “[a] Bible in a hotel room is no more illegal than a chaplain in the military. There is nothing wrong with allowing the Gideons to place Bibles in Navy lodges, which it has done for decades at no cost to the Navy. Our service men and women are often away from home, sometimes for long periods of time. It’s perfectly constitutional and legal to allow the Gideons to provide, at their own expense, this source of comfort for service men and women of faith.”

The American Family Association released an “action alert” on Friday which stated that “[o]ur U.S. soldiers are being asked to respect the Muslim religion while Christians are being categorically discriminated against. Such an attack on religious liberty has no place in the United States military.”

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Thou shall not kill. ..

mich2.0
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Good grief.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM
8 moms liked this

I agree with the christians.  Nobody is forced to read the Bible, it's just there.  Athiests are idiotic morons who won't be happy until they root out any and every religion and all religion ceases to be legal in this country.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:41 PM
4 moms liked this

Would people say it's fine and you don't have to read it if it was a copy of the Qu'ran? 

Rhodin
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
If they want Christian writings to stay, they need to make some kind of Readers Digest condensed religious book that includes writings from all the major religions and maybe some Dawkins for fun. Then, the Navy won't have an excuse to refuse.
..MoonShine..
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Way to intelligently and respectfully disagree. Here and in the football post (rather than name calling over there-atheists were told to suck it, I believe). Certainly gives your argument credibility.

Quoting kailu1835:

I agree with the christians.  Nobody is forced to read the Bible, it's just there.  Athiests are idiotic morons who won't be happy until they root out any and every religion and all religion ceases to be legal in this country.

..MoonShine..
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes...represent all or none. I fall firmly in the none camp, but I would not be upset about this.

Quoting Rhodin: If they want Christian writings to stay, they need to make some kind of Readers Digest condensed religious book that includes writings from all the major religions and maybe some Dawkins for fun. Then, the Navy won't have an excuse to refuse.
conweis
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM
4 moms liked this
Most hotels I bedn too have the bible in the nightstand. You don't have to open it and read it. There is also a tv in the room...doen't mean you have to watch it.
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, slander much?  I said that athiests needed to get the heck over it.  Those were my exact words.

And here, I should have used the clarifier of "these" as in "THESE athiests are idiotic morons."  It's the truth and I stand by it.

Quoting ..MoonShine..: Wow. Way to intelligently and respectfully disagree. Here and in the football post (rather than name calling over there-atheists were told to suck it, I believe). Certainly gives your argument credibility.
Quoting kailu1835:

..MoonShine..
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

They need to get the heck over it.  I don't know about this team, but when my cousin was in high school football, he had to pay hundreds of dollars for the priviledge, as did all the cheerleaders.  Since the students have to pay to be a part of it, it is not a government entity, and therefore not bound by the separation of church and state.  So Athiests can suck it.  Seriously... people wonder why Christians say they're persecuted?  Shit like this.

No slander. You said it. You don't get to demand respect and then turn around and be so disrespectful and not expect to be called on it. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Wow, slander much?  I said that athiests needed to get the heck over it.  Those were my exact words.

And here, I should have used the clarifier of "these" as in "THESE athiests are idiotic morons."  It's the truth and I stand by it.

Quoting ..MoonShine..: Wow. Way to intelligently and respectfully disagree. Here and in the football post (rather than name calling over there-atheists were told to suck it, I believe). Certainly gives your argument credibility.
Quoting kailu1835:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)