Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mother arrested for dropping F-bomb in front of her kids

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this

A South Carolina mother was arrested this weekend after she allegedly used profanity in front of her kids. Because a child hearing the F-bomb is definitely more traumatizing than watching her mother get handcuffed in the middle of a supermarket.

According to a report from local news station WJBF, a fellow shopper at a the grocery store overheard Danielle Wolf use the cuss while apparently instructing her children or husband to stop “squishing the bread,” and confronted her about it. The woman then reported Wolf to an official from the North Augusta Department of Public Safety. Wolf was then arrested and charged with disorderly conduct.

“He was like, ‘You’re under arrest’ … right in front of kids, in front of my husband, in front of customers,” Wolf told WJBF.

Disorderly conduct, as defined by city ordinance:

Disorderly conduct within the city is hereby prohibited. It shall constitute disorderly conduct for any person to engage in riotous conduct of any kind or to declaim or cry out in a noisy, scandalous or abusive manner in any taxicab, bus or other public conveyance, or in any place of public worship or amusement, or on any street, sidewalk or other public place, or sufficiently near to any such place, or to any residence or place of business as to disturb or annoy any other person.

It is further defined as to “utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets.”

The law was written by this woman, who said hearing “bawdy” language gives her the vapors:

(Editor’s note: This woman probably did not write the law.)

The woman who reported Wolf for cursing apparently said she did not want to see her get arrested, according to Wolf.

“I didn’t harm nobody. I didn’t hurt nobody. The lady said she was having a bad day. So, because you’re having a bad day you’re going to ruin somebody’s life,” she explained.

Wolf is due in court in September, according to KGO.

h/t Soraya Chemaly

Katie McDonough is Salon's politics writer, focusing on gender, sexuality and reproductive justice. Follow her on Twitter @kmcdonovgh or email her at kmcdonough@salon.com.

by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcdun
by Humboldt California on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I've never said the F-word to my children but I have to admit that I have let it slip in front of my children a couple of times. Usually it's been out of frustration with my autistic son I've groaned and said "fucking hell!" before and i've always got a good talking to from my eldest children usually with a couple of giggles and a comforting hug. I can't imagine being arrested for that. 

MelanieJK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Well the story says it was more than once....

"The woman who says she witnessed the incident said she saw Wolf use the f-word repeatedly and Wolf started cursing at her after she approached Wolf. The woman says she wasn't having a bad day and that hearing Wolf use those words brought her back to her abusive childhood."

I don't think the cops should have been called at all.    But she shouldn't be spewing profanities in a public place where kids are.    More importantly if someone ask her to stop or lower her voice,   she shouldnt' have responded by cursing even more.  

mcdun
by Humboldt California on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:25 PM
5 moms liked this

In this country we have the right to free speech even if it remind some stranger of her abusive childhood. She should have called a therapist not the police. 

Quoting MelanieJK:

"The woman who says she witnessed the incident said she saw Wolf use the f-word repeatedly and Wolf started cursing at her after she approached Wolf. The woman says she wasn't having a bad day and that hearing Wolf use those words brought her back to her abusive childhood."

I don't think the cops should have been called at all.    But she shouldn't be spewing profanities in a public place where kids are.    More importantly if someone ask her to stop or lower her voice,   she shouldnt' have responded by cursing even more.  

Jesus has left the building...

Lolitalux
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this

that's FUCKING stupid! 

MelanieJK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

As I said,   she shouldn't have called police.    But the mommy spewing profanities around her kids and at other shoppers needs the therapist.    At some point using it repeatedly would be abuse.       

The store could have kicked her out for it,    it's private property.     They can ask you to stop talking in a movie  theatre and ask you to leave if you refuse to stop and if you refuse to leave they can have you arrested.    Free speech has it's limits.    

Try standing on your lawn shouting the F-bomb repeatedly  loud enough for your neighbors to hear it.....     bet the police come.

Quoting mcdun:

In this country we have the right to free speech even if it remind some stranger of her abusive childhood. She should have called a therapist not the police. 

Quoting MelanieJK:

LadyBugMom09
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Is there more to this story?? Sounds like maybe this lady may have been causing a scene. Even so, she should've just told the manager or gone to a different part of the store.
DawnPratt23
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Not here in Utah, my neighbors listen to loud fbomb music all the time, every other word. Cops have said it's their freedom to do so as long as noise is within reason.. Those offended can leave, go inside or deal with diversity.

Quoting MelanieJK:

As I said,   she shouldn't have called police.    But the mommy spewing profanities around her kids and at other shoppers needs the therapist.    At some point using it repeatedly would be abuse.       

The store could have kicked her out for it,    it's private property.     They can ask you to stop talking in a movie  theatre and ask you to leave if you refuse to stop and if you refuse to leave they can have you arrested.    Free speech has it's limits.    

Try standing on your lawn shouting the F-bomb repeatedly  loud enough for your neighbors to hear it.....     bet the police come.

Quoting mcdun:

Quoting MelanieJK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcdun
by Humboldt California on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I bet the police don't come. I grew up in the 10th largest city in the USA you can't walk down the street without hearing FUCK about 30 times. 

Quoting MelanieJK:

Quoting mcdun:

Quoting MelanieJK:

Jesus has left the building...

littlemum41
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't go as far as arresting the woman but I think she needs counseling. You just don't use language like that in front of kids. That is really poor parenting.  The bad grammar makes me cringe:  "I didn't harm NOBODY". Ewww.

MelanieJK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Yes it's probably the noise that will cause them to come.    Disrupting the peace.   

The store could ask her leave in this case and call the cops if she refused.

Quoting DawnPratt23: Not here in Utah, my neighbors listen to loud fbomb music all the time, every other word. Cops have said it's their freedom to do so as long as noise is within reason.. Those offended can leave, go inside or deal with diversity.
Quoting MelanieJK:

Quoting mcdun:

Quoting MelanieJK:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN