Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

California: Insurers must cover elective abortions

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
  • 32 Replies

California: Insurers must cover elective abortions

Source: ASSOCIATED PRESS

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Health insurance companies in California may not refuse to cover the cost of abortions, state insurance officials have ruled in a reversal of policy stemming from the decision by two Catholic universities to drop elective abortions from their employee health plans. 

Although the federal Affordable Care Act does not compel employers to provide workers with health insurance that includes abortion coverage, the director of California’s Department of Managed Health Care said in a letter to seven insurance companies on Friday that the state Constitution and a 1975 state law prohibits them from selling group plans that exclude the procedure. The law in question requires such plans to encompass all “medically necessary” care. 

“Abortion is a basic health care service,” department director Michelle Rouillard wrote in the letter. “All health plans must treat maternity services and legal abortion neutrally.” 

Jesuit-run Santa Clara University and Loyola Marymount University notified employees last fall that they planned to stop paying for elective abortions, but said faculty and staff members could pay for supplemental coverage that would be provided through a third party. The two schools said their insurers, Anthem Blue Cross and Kaiser Permanente, had cleared the move with the state. 

-snip-

Read more:http://www.salon.com/2014/08/23/california_insurers_must_cover_elective_abortions/ 
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm sure the state's rights supporters are less likely to support that kind of independent action.
Sweet_Faith
In life and n the end all that really matters is the truth.
Today at 6:03 AM
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Typical of California, I'm so glad I don't live there and when it comes to "choice" they don't know the meaning of the word, so much for that! SMH

candlegal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I am pretty sure this is not the last we will be hearing of this.

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

Typical of California, I'm so glad I don't live there and when it comes to "choice" they don't know the meaning of the word, so much for that! SMH

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Since when is an elective abortion considered "medically necessary"?

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Abortion is nessecary to end a pregnancy. The elective part just means that it's not needed to save the mothers life. It doesn't mean that the abortion isn't needed at all. So it still falls under medically nessecary care.

Quoting Canvas_says:

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I can understand a procedure being covered when it's actually endangering a woman's life. I don't follow how they determine a medical want to be a necessity. There are many things I want done that require medical intervention and yet they aren't necessary and thus not covered. But this is California where anything goes and the tax payers foot the bill.

Quoting Schauseil: Abortion is nessecary to end a pregnancy. The elective part just means that it's not needed to save the mothers life. It doesn't mean that the abortion isn't needed at all. So it still falls under medically nessecary care.
Quoting Canvas_says:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM
7 moms liked this
Ending a pregnancy is a want not a need unless it's medically necessary.

That want shouldn't have to come out of someone else's pocket. You want it - buy it yourself.

Quoting Schauseil: Abortion is nessecary to end a pregnancy. The elective part just means that it's not needed to save the mothers life. It doesn't mean that the abortion isn't needed at all. So it still falls under medically nessecary care.

Quoting Canvas_says:

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM
When a medical condition has the potential to have massive negative effects on your life for extended periods of time, whatever needs to be done to stop or change it is usually considered medically necessary. Now whether or not a pregnancy could have massive negative effects on the woman's life for an extended period of time can be determined by the woman.

Quoting Canvas_says:

I can understand a procedure being covered when it's actually endangering a woman's life. I don't follow how they determine a medical want to be a necessity. There are many things I want done that require medical intervention and yet they aren't necessary and thus not covered. But this is California where anything goes and the tax payers foot the bill.

Quoting Canvas_says:

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM
I disagree. I can think of many situations where ending a pregnancy is nessecary for the mental health and life stability of the woman. Thus making it a medical need.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Ending a pregnancy is a want not a need unless it's medically necessary.

That want shouldn't have to come out of someone else's pocket. You want it - buy it yourself.

Quoting Canvas_says:

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

That's my point too, I have suffered from menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) since my tubal in 2006. I have sought to have either an ablation or hysterectomy to end that monthly torture and neither are covered since it's not " life threatening " Instead I'm stuck between iron supplements and hormonal bc ( something I wanted rid of hence the tubal lol)

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Ending a pregnancy is a want not a need unless it's medically necessary. That want shouldn't have to come out of someone else's pocket. You want it - buy it yourself.
Quoting Canvas_says:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)