Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

CNN host rips Fox for ‘sowing doubt’ with baseless report on officer’s fractured eye socket

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM
  • 3 Replies
CNN's Brian Stelter

CNN media critic Brian Stelter on Sunday took on Fox News for repeating an unconfirmed report from a conservative blog that claimed that Darren Wilson, the officer who shot unarmed teen Michael Brown, had a fractured eye socket.

Last week, Gateway Pundit blogger Jim Hoft claimed that unnamed sources had told him that the officer who shot Brown had an “orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket.”

Just one day later, Fox News referenced Hoft’s blog, reporting that “there is information out that [the officer] was hit hard enough to break the bones around his eye.”

“Frankly, I’m surprised that Fox ripped the information off this blog and repeated it on air,” Stelter said on Sunday. “And later in the day, Fox did find its own anonymous source, and publish its own story. And every one of Fox’s primetime hosts picked up on it.”

“After all, this seemed like it changed the whole story, casting the officer as the victim of a dangerous aggressor, a dangerous black aggressor.”

Stelter pointed out that the most public officials had ever confirmed was that the officer had a swollen face. And in fact, a CNN source refuted the broken eye socket claim.

“I have yet to see any firm evidence of an eye socket injury,” Stelter said. “But that does not seem to matter because these claims have spread all over the place, sowing doubt in people’s minds about what happened that terrible day in Ferguson.”

Watch the video below from CNN’s Reliable Sources, broadcast Aug. 24, 2104.

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Going by this standard, no one should say anything unless 4 sources have confirmed it. 

I have heard from more than one source that the officer was injured.  Some reports insinuate mor severe injuries than others.  None say the officer was unharmed.  By the same token there have been varying eye witness stories regarding the shooting itself.  Some reporting more purposeful intent and others implying the officer had no other option than to shoot.

i would rather wait until the investigation in complete before stating an opinion other than this is a horrible incident, and Iwish comfort on all involved.

29again
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

And the statement from the friend who was with Brown has been proven by forensics to be completely false. 

The officer has been said to have injuries by more than one source.  Some are specific, others more general.  But he was injured. 

Funny how the one network who fakes live shots is the one complaining about this.  I wouldn't be surprised if the officer did indeed have a broken eye socket. 

This situation is bad enough, tragic enough without the MSM picking on each other over what really is or is not the truth.  So far, none of them have reported the real truth about anything.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny you posting this when you have already jumped on the "riot band wagon."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)